Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is one I actually didn't play! I had the first three and the original THUG (plus 4 on the Playstation One, which we don't talk about), but never made it past that before getting interested in the Skate series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing I should point out with the Boston level is that it gets a lot of subtle details (like the Duck Boat tour and the MBTA stations), but those trains are going way too fast. The distances between subway stations are so short that you can sometimes see them from the next station, but the length of time between stations is the same as a larger metro system because the trains are actually streetcars in tunnels that go at human running speed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SatansOnion posted:

wizardry and advanced cybernetics are my top two explanations for how the skaters in these games can launch themselves hundreds of feet through the air and land without their legs and feet collapsing in twin bursts of chunky gore, so I have no problems with your proposed canon

I mentioned in the last game's LP thread that the storyline instantly shreds the suspension of disbelief because you're supposed to be an amateur skater having to painstakingly prove themselves, but from the very beginning you're doing backflips onto power lines, chaining grinds and lip tricks across an entire suburb's rooftops, and defeating Tony Hawk himself by multiple orders of magnitude.

Tony Hawk: "Hey, you're a pretty cool skater. Let's jam."

Player: "Oh my God, I can't believe the living legend Tony Hawk invited me to skate with him! I sure hope I don't mess this up!"

Tony Hawk: *performs a handful of simple vert tricks*

Player: *does a combo with 5 McTwists and a 900 before grinding between every halfpipe in the skate park and ending with a lip trick where you set the board on fire*

Tony Hawk: "Hey, not bad. Maybe I'll give you a spot on my team."