Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think you mentioned it, but the pager tone is a rendition of "Grand Theft Auto", a gangster rap song originally created by Craig Conner of Rockstar as the theme for the first game. It also plays on the Lips radio station in this one. It also plays in 8-bit as part of the opening titles of Vice City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYy69qOJWoM

One thing notable about GTA III is a lot of the stuff on the radio that wasn't public domain is either made directly by Rockstar staff/contractors or by people who have a connection to the people working there. Plus Flashback 95.6, which is entirely from the Scarface soundtrack. It wouldn't be until Vice City that we get a radio full of licensed songs from the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I didn't mention the pager thing, but I have talked about Joyride a few times (in the thread and in one of the videos) and posted a link to the song on the previous page. Also, I went over all the radio stations and included links to them in the second post of the thread! :eng101:

also goddamn it I should've been in bed hours ago

edit: since the latest update ended up at the bottom of the page, here it is again:

quote:

Episode 6: Like A Dragon

Having escaped Portland after Salvatore and the mafia betrayed us, we find ourselves in Liberty City's financial district of Staunton Island. That also means we've got a new employer, as Maria's old friend Asuka Kasen is a high-ranking officer in the yakuza and wants us to prove our loyalty by assassinating Salvatore himself. I don't think Kazuma Kiryu would approve of the yakuza hiring someone like Claude to do their dirty work, but things are obviously different in Liberty City.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got destroyed by shotgun Mafia in one hit. They are relentless and sometimes kill you before they spawn. Just suddenly blow up with nothing on the screen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I remember the first mission off Portland was just mindblowing, like I spent so much time running around on that island and then - there's more?!?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was never good at landing the car when getting to Asuka's that way. I got a fair bit of amusement from this, picturing Asuka listening for the sound of an exploding car to let her know her new employee was there.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A few times in this video you're seeing the minimap having no height indications starting to be a nuisance. The districts use height relevance in increasing amounts (third area vigilante/ambulance were pretty bad for that, but even general navigation was also).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I wonder how many people actually got the Driver 2 joke in the "Two-Faced Tanner" mission, especially in later years when Driver had largely faded into obscurity. I was a fan of the Driver games on PS1 so I thought it was pretty funny, but I could see many players being very confused. In case you've never seen Driver 2 and its strangely animated undercover cop action, here's a clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGzCw7v_xo

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo that backflip.

I loved Driver 2 as a kid, I'm not sure if it was any good but it gave me everything I wanted out of a GTA game, that is getting to run around a big cool open world city but without the R18 rating that stopped my Mum from letting me play it. I should pick up an emulator and see how it held up, my guess? Not well.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 9, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I think Driver holds up decently well for an open world driving game on the original PlayStation and has some really satisfying physics and spectacular car chases, especially for the time. Its biggest problem (aside from the pointless on-foot bits and lovely frame rate in the second game) was the absolutely ludicrous difficulty level, especially in the first game which had the most notorious tutorial in the history of video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCPzDEkkII

Seriously, some players never got past this point.

edit: that video is far too competent, here's a more accurate representation of how it usually goes for most people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOPZiqogG0

(it'd probably help if they realized you could use analog controls)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 9, 2019

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I gotta say, a pair of openly gay gangster ladies in 2001 is kind of impressive. Obviously it's played as a bit of a joke, but no more than anything else in the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's amusing looking back at the back and forth sniping between Rockstar and Reflections in their games. Driv3r responded to this by having water wing and Hawaiian shirt-wearing "Timmy Vermicelli" characters hidden around that you had to find and kill for unlockables, and in San Andreas they in turn responded by having a guard playing a video game during a stealth segment insulting "Refractions" for their bad game design.

Of course, we all know who won in the end. Reflections released a few more Driver games, ending with a strange one taking place in a coma dream where you could teleport between cars, and nothing but a free-to-play smartphone game has been seen of the series since 2014.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was really looking forward to Driv3r, but then the game was released in a horrendously unfinished state because Atari/Infogrames needed sales and needed them quickly. I never ended up playing the game, because it got utterly savaged by both fans and critics due to the fact it was a buggy mess that barely functioned.

That said, I'm not sure Driv3r would have been particularly great even if it was a finished product, because it took a lot of inspiration from GTA and that meant lots of lovely on-foot combat segments. The actual driving, by all accounts, was still excellent when the game bothered to work properly, but the emphasis on combat and general GTA clone feel weren't received too well by fans of the series.

Driver: San Francisco, the one taking place in Tanner's coma dream, is weird but also quite good. The driving model is excellent, there is no on-foot combat whatsoever, the writing is surprisingly strong and Tanner's dream powers lend themselves to some fun and creative scenarios. Apparently though, the development of such a massive game took its toll on Reflections, and the team decided to work on other Ubisoft projects in the future instead of making their own games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do have Driv3r. The on-foot segments are horribly animated but still easier than some in GTA because you can actually aim properly without a lock-on. The driving uses the same engine as Stuntman so it’s great but also very punishing.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Guru Larry also made a video about the controversy surrounding Driv3r after it's release and how it almost got memory holed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Beartaco posted:

What was the name of the game your avatar is from? That LP was a blast.

You know, I am ashamed to say I did not remember. My shame led me to search the archives though, and it is High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever.
https://lparchive.org/High-School-Dreams-Best-Friends-Forever/

If you want to see more like it, I also came across Petz: Horsez 2 while looking. https://lparchive.org/Petz-Horsez-2
I now have two LP's to rewatch.

Except right now I am watching the GTA LP, which this thread is for. Sorry for going off topic, Doc!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Thesaya posted:

Except right now I am watching the GTA LP, which this thread is for. Sorry for going off topic, Doc!
No worries! We've been talking about Driver for most of this page, anyway, so I'm not gonna complain about off-topic posting. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 7: The Lesser Yakuza

In the previous episode we worked for Asuka Kasen, the leader of the yakuza on Staunton Island, and now it's time for us to help out her younger brother Kenji with his yakuza-related work. Kenji is not very good at his job and is kind of a jerk in general, but I suppose the honorable thing for us to do is to assist him in whatever he needs done.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 13, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love Claude's bow in the opening of "Smack Down" that Kenji just scares him out of. It's practically the only time in the series he ever shows anything but stoicism.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I want to respond to the whole "Kenji as dirty foreigner" bit that occurs early in the commentary with the following- Yes, Kenji is a foreigner. But he's also a racial supremacist. Hence he counts himself and his people as superior to everyone else at all times. Even in a country and city where they are not the majority or the rulers. This is a common viewpoint among villains in both fiction and real life. He's also not that smart- he doesn't get that treating Claude (or any gaijin) with such an attitude is a bad idea. I've been on both sides of this attitude (I once lived in Southeast Asia and I got arrested for something my dumb teenage mind thought I could get away with, long story, let's just say I've since learned from the experience), so I know how dumb it is and what a bs lie racial supremacy is- but Kenji hasn't learned yet. Like me, he'll probably have to learn the hard way. :) Very few expatriates are as smart as Azim in Prince of Thieves.

The Police Bribe gathering mission in this video is something they did not repeat in later GTA series installments. I didn't like that- I thought it was a creative idea at the time. Then again, it's also hard to not make your wanted level increase while gathering those bribes, so I can see why they declined the repeating challenge.

The Yardies were a gang I had to actually Google the first time I played this game. I had not heard of them as an international ethnic crime organization. I learned they caused quite a bit of trouble in London during the time this game was made.

Hope you can get Judgment soon, Doc. It's an awesome game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I want to respond to the whole "Kenji as dirty foreigner" bit that occurs early in the commentary with the following- Yes, Kenji is a foreigner. But he's also a racial supremacist. Hence he counts himself and his people as superior to everyone else at all times. Even in a country and city where they are not the majority or the rulers. This is a common viewpoint among villains in both fiction and real life. He's also not that smart- he doesn't get that treating Claude (or any gaijin) with such an attitude is a bad idea. I've been on both sides of this attitude (I once lived in Southeast Asia and I got arrested for something my dumb teenage mind thought I could get away with, long story, let's just say I've since learned from the experience), so I know how dumb it is and what a bs lie racial supremacy is- but Kenji hasn't learned yet. Like me, he'll probably have to learn the hard way. :) Very few expatriates are as smart as Azim in Prince of Thieves.
Yeah, when I was editing the final video I was thinking the same thing. I don't know if Kenji is exactly a full-blown racial supremacist or if he's just being overly proud and full of himself, but he absolutely believes only a real Japanese yakuza such as him can get things done.

Also, while this is clarified in the video as well, I should probably reiterate that we absolutely were not calling Kenji a "dirty foreigner" in any way, shape or form and I hope nobody gets the wrong idea. :)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There have been a number of special vehicles in the franchise, which in this game, are still rarities. The sequels allow for many more special vehicles, but you might be able to find unique cars that are bulletproof, explosionproof, or fireproof in some isolated area.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Doc M posted:

Also, while this is clarified in the video as well, I should probably reiterate that we absolutely were not calling Kenji a "dirty foreigner" in any way, shape or form and I hope nobody gets the wrong idea. :)

You did correctly imply he's a lazy bastard, though. Feels weird for him to talk about how important it is that he return favours, preserve image, etc by asking you to do it and not even coming along.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I've set the latest video to private because I decided to remove that whole "foreigner" bit from the commentary and reupload the episode. While no offense was ever intended in the slightest, that part was simply too easy to misconstrue and could (well, already did) invite the kind of Youtube comments I really don't need. I really should've cut it in the first place and it's probably too late now, but I'm doing it anyway. :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 13, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

quote:

You did correctly imply he's a lazy bastard, though. Feels weird for him to talk about how important it is that he return favours, preserve image, etc by asking you to do it and not even coming along.

Kenji's not exactly alone in this attitude, nor in expecting Claude to do lots of work for him that he should be doing. All the Mafia bosses who previously employed Claude treated him the same way. Doesn't make things right, of course. But I'll still point it out.

Re- Video Edit. Don't feel too bad about having to do such a thing, Doc M. Such are the lessons it seems everyone who communicates online must learn these days. I don't like it either, but thus have we made the world. I only hope we can one day make it different and better.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 13, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The revised version of the video is now up. Sorry about this whole mess, once again I should've thought things through a bit more while editing the original video.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My honor demands it!
:nws: https://www.oglaf.com/honor/ :nws:

I don't think I ever finished K's missions, delivering those stolen cars was just too frustrating (especially since I was/am terrible at driving). Also for all the issues with keyboard steering mouse aiming is so much better than what we saw outside the hospital. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 13, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Also for all the issues with keyboard steering mouse aiming is so much better than what we saw outside the hospital. :v:
The lockon system in GTA III is so, so bad, to the point it's barely functional. It'll thankfully get much better in Vice City and later games.

The best way to play this generation of GTA games is probably on PC with a controller for driving sections and KB+M for combat so you don't have to compromise on either of the core gameplay aspects, although I also like the GInput mod which can be used to change the controls to something closer to modern GTA games, with free aim on the right stick (while the mouse could still be used for sniping and such). If I hadn't chosen to show off the Xbox ports in this LP, I'd definitely have played on PC with GInput.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Kingdom Come

Having completed all the missions for the yakuza siblings in Staunton, our next order of business in the main story is to meet up with Ray, the bent cop in the yakuza's pocket. But before we can get to that and help our grizzled cop friend with his troubles, we do have a bit of side content to tackle as King Courtney of the Yardies offers us a variety of missions...

Also, I swear I am usually slightly more competent with grenades.

Finally, a friendly suggestion to listen to K-JAH if you haven't, because this station is loving great.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 16, 2019

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
"I have things to say about Liberty City Stories, but we'll get there when we get there."

Ooh, plans for the future? I'm really interested in seeing those PSP games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There are plans for the future, yes. Great and terrible plans. :getin:

For the record, last night I recorded the footage for the first three episodes of San Andreas. I've also been messing around with Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories, haven't recorded anything except a brief LCS test clip but if we ever get to the end of San Andreas those will be the next items on the list.

The LCS test video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9QOKTnyak

It convinced me not to play the PS2 version because that frame rate is atrocious. The performance is equally atrocious on original PSP hardware, but PPSSPP seems to do a better job (so does the Vita, but I have no way to record that) so I'll probably have to go with that if/when we do LCS. The iOS/Android version exists too, I guess, and is probably the most polished version of LCS but I'd need some reliable way to record that as well and I really don't want to play on a touch screen.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2019

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Any chance of you guys playing the "Frosted Winter" mod for gta3?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Mr.Flibble posted:

Any chance of you guys playing the "Frosted Winter" mod for gta3?
We're not going to be playing any total conversion mods or anything like that, because there's plenty of content already in the official games to keep us busy for quite some time. :v:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This is what, the third time you've done a bunch of missions for someone only to find out at the end that one of the missions didn't actually succeed?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can't blow up the ambulance with a rocket launcher, I've tried on the pc version at least, the game will just say it was a decoy and send out another ambulance until you do it "properly".

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In the Yardie missions, the subtitles are translating their incomprehensible gibberish for you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Catalina may be related to Paulie Franchetti of The Darkness, who has a hatred of you that expands to everything that is part of your life and whatever is related to it. It is not enough that she backstabs her partners, she also backstabs organizations to get at you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Gnoman posted:

In the Yardie missions, the subtitles are translating their incomprehensible gibberish for you.
Of course I realize the subtitles translate their dialogue into something more understandable, but I'd also love to see their actual lines in the subtitles like you do in GTA IV when Little Jacob and Badman are talking.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Thesaya posted:

You know, I am ashamed to say I did not remember. My shame led me to search the archives though, and it is High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever.
https://lparchive.org/High-School-Dreams-Best-Friends-Forever/

If you want to see more like it, I also came across Petz: Horsez 2 while looking. https://lparchive.org/Petz-Horsez-2
I now have two LP's to rewatch.

Doc M posted:

No worries! We've been talking about Driver for most of this page, anyway, so I'm not gonna complain about off-topic posting. :v:

And with this blessing (and since your PMs are closed), I need to get something off my chest. I forgot that the thread had voted for Seth and I'm so mad all over again!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: Marked Man

We get acquainted with media mogul Donald Love, and Ray needs to get the hell out of Liberty City. Those two things are not connected in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:psyduck: This one twenty minute episode is literally hours, days of my teenage years. You just mowed it down like it was nothing.