Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, ChaosArgate mentioned his surprise at the Cheetah's rear-wheel drive and popped tires being accurately simulated. The game actually comes with a Handling.cfg file that has the full stats of every vehicle in the game, which can also be edited. This is the beginning of the file describing the stats columns:

quote:

; Author: Bill Henderson
; Created 10/12/1999
;
; > COMMENTS <
; ------------
; TWEAK AT YOUR OWN RISK
;
; > UNITS <
; ---------
; vehicle identifier 14 characters max
; dimensions in metres
; mass in Kg
; velocity in Km/h
; acceleration/deceleration in ms-2
; multipliers x1.0 is default
; angles in degrees
; Levels :- (L)ow, (M)edium, (H)igh
; buoyancy = percent submerged (> 100% vehicle sinks)
; engine type :- (P)etrol, (D)iesel, (E)lectric
; engine drive :- (F)ront, (R)ear, (4)-wheel drive
;
; > FIELD DESCRIPTIONS <
; ----------------------
; (A) vehicle identifier [14 characters max]
; (B) fMass [1.0 to 50000.0]
; (C) Dimensions.x [0.0 > x > 20.0]
; (D) Dimensions.y [0.0 > x > 20.0]
; (E) Dimensions.z, [0.0 > x > 20.0]
; (F) CentreOfMass.x [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
; (G) CentreOfMass.y [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
; (H) CentreOfMass.z [-10.0 > x > 10.0]
; (I) nPercentSubmerged [10 to 120]
; (J) fTractionMultiplier [0.5 to 2.0]
; (K) fTractionLoss [0.0 > x > 1.0]
; (L) fTractionBias [0.0 > x > 1.0]
; (M) TransmissionData.nNumberOfGears [1 to 4]
; (N) TransmissionData.fMaxVelocity [5.0 to 150.0]
; (O) TransmissionData.fEngineAcceleration [0.1 to 10.0]
; (P) TransmissionData.nDriveType [F/R/4]
; (Q) TransmissionData.nEngineType [P/D/E]
; (R) fBrakeDeceleration [0.1 to 10.0]
; (S) fBrakeBias [0.0 > x > 1.0]
; (T) bABS [0/1]
; (U) fSteeringLock [10.0 to 40.0]
; (V) fSuspensionForceLevel not [L/M/H]
; (W) fSuspensionDampingLevel not [L/M/H]
; (X) fSeatOffsetDistance // ped seat position offset towards centre of car
; (Y) fCollisionDamageMultiplier [0.2 to 5.0]
; (Z) nMonetaryValue [1 to 100000]
; (aa) suspension upper limit
; (ab) suspension lower limit
; (ac) suspension bias between front and rear
; (ad) suspension anti-dive multiplier
; (ae) flags!!! WARNING - Now written HEX for easier reading of flags
; 1st digit = 1: 1G_BOOST 2: 2G_BOOST 4: REV_BONNET 8: HANGING_BOOT
; 2nd digit = 1: NO_DOORS 2: IS_VAN 4: IS_BUS 8: IS_LOW
; 3rd digit = 1: DBL_EXHAUST 2: TAILGATE_BOOT 4: NOSWING_BOOT 8: NONPLAYER_STABILISER
; 4th digit = 1: NEUTRALHANDLING 2: HAS_NO_ROOF 4: IS_BIG 8: HALOGEN_LIGHTS
; 5th digit = 1: IS_BIKE 2: IS_HELI 4: IS_PLANE 8: IS_BOAT
; 6th digit = 1: NO_EXHAUST 2: REARWHEEL_1ST 4: HANDBRAKE_TYRE8: SIT_IN_BOAT
; 7th digit = 1: FAT_REARW 2: NARROW_FRONTW 4: GOOD_INSAND
;
; (af) front lights (0 = long, 1 = small, 2 = big, 3 = tall)
; (ag) rear lights (0 = long, 1 = small, 2 = big, 3 = tall)
;

And the stats for the Cheetah as seen in the file:

quote:

CHEETAH 1200.0 2.0 4.5 1.4 0.0 0.1 -0.3 70 1.3 0.89 0.50 5 230.0 32.0 R P 11.1 0.48

The important numbers from that:

Mass: 1200 kg/2646 lbs
Top Speed: 230 kph/143 mph
Gears: 5
Engine: Petrol
Drive train: RWD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 5: Turf Wars

Nothing drives down real estate prices like a good old-fashioned gang war, and that's exactly what we've got going on in Little Havana and Little Haiti as Tommy ends up working for both sides (although not exactly by choice). I should also apologize for the occasional audio clipping issues in the recording; my stupid face was too close to the mic.

edit: I also hope someone appreciated my Mortal Kombat 4 reference on commentary

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 21, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The number of dead cops you see in that first mission is pretty funny, considering you weren't even trying to fight.

When I last played this, I developed a habit of swinging by and firing a rocket into the cafe from time to time. I was not a fan of this mission chain.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Umberto hides in the cafe with his papi while Tommy does all the work. I don’t think he has very big cojones!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Since it wasn't mentioned in the video, Auntie Poulet was voiced by Miss Cleo, who ran a psychic phoneline with nearly omnipresent ads in the US during the late 90's. She claimed to be Jamaican but was in fact born in Los Angeles. Surprisingly enough, her hotline turned out to be a ripoff, and not long after Vice City's release it was brought down by lawsuits from the FCC and several states. Everybody joked about how she should have seen that coming then promptly forgot about her.

The "Streetwannabe's" are the largest and most diverse gang in the game. In addition to having two distinct groups in the city (the Sharks in the northeastern part, and the soldiers at the military base), it also encompasses all of the one-off gangs encountered during various missions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really don't like the voodoo lady missions, they are very annoying and of course being mind controlled is kinda bad. But as long as you don't answer the phone in that part of the map afterwards the gang never turns hostile and future missions in the area are much easier.

achtungnight posted:

Umberto hides in the cafe with his papi while Tommy does all the work. I don't think he has very big cojones!
How much help would he really have been if he was with you on missions? :v:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Ahaha, over the 20 years this game has been out I never once found or realised that there was a destruction derby minigame. Is it ever advertised in game or do you just have to know to walk into the stadium?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beartaco posted:

Ahaha, over the 20 years this game has been out I never once found or realised that there was a destruction derby minigame. Is it ever advertised in game or do you just have to know to walk into the stadium?

I think you just have to walk in. I found out about it from a guide. There's likewise the various checkpoint races around town that just suddenly activate when you think you found a convenience vehicle to steal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So, the gangs. As was brought up, the gang war missions between the Cubans and Haitians led to a lot of controversy and accusations of racism. But this isn't something Rockstar just invented to stir up ethnic conflict. They just simplified it.

Cubans have formed a major part of the ethnic makeup of Miami for decades, after Fidel Castro's seizure of power led to mass migration to escape. In 1980, a steep economic decline in Cuba and several incidents of emigration or asylum being denied to Cubans (including violence on the part of the Cuban police against protesters) led to the Castro regime giving permission for thousands of Cubans to emigrate. However, they took it as an opportunity to rid themselves of undesirables: homosexuals, prisoners, and the mentally ill were fast tracked to leave while others were denied and even had violence encouraged against them as "counter-revolutionaries."

From April to September 1980, 135,000 Cubans emigrated to the United States. A state of emergency had to be declared to deal with the sudden influx of people seeking asylum, creating refugee camps to try and process them. When Castro openly announced his intention to use this emigration (known as the Mariel Boatlift after the Mariel Harbor in Cuba where they left from) to get rid of criminals and the mentally ill, the US government attempted a blockade but failed to stop all the boats. One of these camps is seen in the beginning of Scarface, where Tony is given a green card for helping murder one of Castro's generals in the same camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKYbJTMRy3o

Many of these immigrants, the Marielitos, formed gangs in their new community. They worked with the Mafia and Colombian cartels equally, participating in the drug trade, prostitution, counterfeiting, and other areas of crime. While they're not as powerful now, in the 1980s the Cuban gangs were one of the forces ruling the streets. Ricardo Diaz, a Colombian, is representative of the cartel influence in the Miami drug wars of the period (especially the Medellin cartel).

As for the Haitians, a lot of Haitians emigrated to Miami as well (including many thousands in the Mariel Boatlift), but they were universally treated with less respect than the Cuban refugees. They were given different classifications that made it harder for them to seek permanent legal status and denied more often. Conflict often broke out due to the perceived privileged treatment of Cuban refugees over those of African descent. And like the Cubans, they formed gangs that had a sharp ethnic conflict with the Cubans. 1980s Miami became known as a murderous hellhole; the record for murders is 621 in 1981, with bodies piling on so high the city morgue literally ran out of room and had to rent a refrigerated truck to fit more corpses on ice. What was once a retirement community and vacation destination was essentially a Balkanized war zone.

That's the form of Miami that Rockstar took to make Vice City. While they didn't handle it with a lot of subtlety, it's not a setting they made out of thin air. A lot of what you see is just an exaggerated form of the reality there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It seems to me they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they'd just given the gangs names rather than "The Cubans" and "The Haitians". All the gangs in 3 had specifically gang names, if generic ones. "Kill all the Mafia!" is a lot less offensive than "Kill all the Italians!"

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Great post, thank you!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Beartaco posted:

The game was marketed for having lots of buildings you can enter. There may have been a radio commercial that mentioned it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Something I just noticed in the last cutscene is that Umberto is wearing shoes with very tall Cuban heels. He's not only bragging about his prowess, he's faking his height!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Biggest boy in town" might refer to his gut, that isn't even covered by his stinky old shirt. :gonk:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 6: Death Row

Lance, you useless moron.

Stray observations:

- When I said The Getaway was developed by the same guys as L.A. Noire, I was simplifying things a bit. Team Soho was not the same entity as Team Bondi, but they both were run by the same person who also directed both games.

- Diaz with the VCR is is basically me when my printer isn't working (i.e. every time I need to actually print something). I said this in the original recording but cut it out because I mumbled the line even worse than usual.

- I was saving the "Say hello to my little friend" reference for later, but ChaosArgate beat me to it so I'm gonna have to come up with something else.

- This is the first Vice City episode that didn't instantly get auto-flagged by the copyright bots.

- Lance is an idiot and will only get worse.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

This is where the improved lock on really shines. A bunch of dudes with assault rifles in tight spaces was hell in 3, now it's perfectly manageable. The car chase at the end of Death Row? Much bigger problem considering how suicidal the AI can be when ramming your lovely little sedan.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You mentioned Manhunt in the video. I played that game and the sequel. I would not call either ace on stealth. They’re definitely inferior to Metal Gear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Death Row remains one of my least favorite missions in this game that isn't the final mission or The Driver.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, that Desert Eagle in the cutscenes is another beta weapon. It was probably what turned into the Colt Python.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, that Desert Eagle in the cutscenes is another beta weapon. It was probably what turned into the Colt Python.

Which is strange, since the Good Pistol in later games is the Desert Eagle, with the Python being absent.

As for the rest of the video, the probable reference to GTA III in the VCR scene is really subtle.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those cops can go through some tough hurdles if it lets them bust you. I don't know if there was a Super Cop in GTA3, but they were in Vice City.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manhunt got mentioned in the video, and it's interesting to note that it takes place in the GTA universe! The original game takes place in Carcer City, which was mentioned on the radio (such as the news bulletin in the GTA III opening cutscene), and both series have repeated references to each other. Manhunt has Sprunk soda machines, Gash shopping bags, and a Tarbrush Cafe like in the Vice City mall and GTA San Andreas has a few action figures and a particular set of architectural blueprints. I don't think the actual events of either series are referenced, though.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Those cops can go through some tough hurdles if it lets them bust you. I don't know if there was a Super Cop in GTA3, but they were in Vice City.

One particular bit of developer foresight is that the "Busted" animation happens when your car door is open, which is what happened to Doc here: the cop was so close that he was able to get to Tommy before he slammed the door shut. If you stomp on the gas to drive away while Tommy's still getting in you'll even start driving with the door open, which can be all the opening he needs.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Gnoman posted:

Which is strange, since the Good Pistol in later games is the Desert Eagle, with the Python being absent.

As for the rest of the video, the probable reference to GTA III in the VCR scene is really subtle.

Wait, what was the reference?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Beartaco posted:

Wait, what was the reference?
"It eat my favorite El Burro movie, it die!"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

chitoryu12 posted:

One particular bit of developer foresight is that the "Busted" animation happens when your car door is open, which is what happened to Doc here: the cop was so close that he was able to get to Tommy before he slammed the door shut. If you stomp on the gas to drive away while Tommy's still getting in you'll even start driving with the door open, which can be all the opening he needs.
Some vehicles don't even have doors when the cops bust you. It is also possible to get busted when the cop dies very shortly after and you sit there like a dunce.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 7: Push It To The Limit

With Diaz's empire now in our hands, we've reached the top but still we gotta learn how to keep it. Unfortunately, you can't buy a tiger or a "The World Is Yours" globe in this game, but this would definitely be the time to do so if you could. Also, LANCE, YOU USELESS MORON.

Sorry about the occasional audio clipping again, it's all Lance's fault. I fixed my settings for the latest recording session, so there shouldn't be any more issues going forward (at least after the next episode).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2020

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Huh, I didn't remember Lance's troubles coming so fast. Maybe I usually did some of the side businesses first? I thought I started with the mansion though...

Have you ever tried doing that mall window mission with a bike?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember the feeling of awe and power you get when you suddenly get the mansion as a kid. There's not really anything available for customization for it (minus some Easter Egg or completion stuff), but it's one of those things that just really sells the improvement from GTA III. On the other hand, it's immediately followed up by an absolute bullshit timed mission.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Funny thing about the Bar Brawl mission that I discovered on a recent playthrough. If you get enough of a wanted level for the cops to chase you before the "they're running away" cutscene (which is easy to do if you make the Rocket Launcher your primary weapon), they'll continue to charge in while the cutscene plays - and if the bikes happen to crash into a cop the game won't know what to do and the Xbox will crash.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember the feeling of awe and power you get when you suddenly get the mansion as a kid. There's not really anything available for customization for it (minus some Easter Egg or completion stuff), but it's one of those things that just really sells the improvement from GTA III. On the other hand, it's immediately followed up by an absolute bullshit timed mission.
There is plenty of customization in Scarface:TWIY, where you can buy tigers and the globe is already there. That is the only good thing about the game. Some things are better left alone without retconning endings.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is plenty of customization in Scarface:TWIY, where you can buy tigers and the globe is already there. That is the only good thing about the game. Some things are better left alone without retconning endings.
Hey, Scarface: The World Is Yours is a perfectly good open world game with a lot of fun mechanics despite having a ridiculous plot that completely undermines the themes of the film! It was also supposed to be a what-if story, not a retcon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And the tigers in Scarface TWIY weren’t live, just stuffed and solid gold. I wanted a living one. Other than that, I too enjoyed the game. My personal justification for it is that Tony is an immortal Highlander and nobody including him realizes this.

Back on topic, I can’t decide who’s stupider. Lance for antagonizing Tommy or Tommy for keeping Lance around.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

rchandra posted:

Huh, I didn't remember Lance's troubles coming so fast. Maybe I usually did some of the side businesses first? I thought I started with the mansion though...

Have you ever tried doing that mall window mission with a bike?

Same. Getting the mansion so soon doesn't chime with my memory either, but turns out the quest lines in general are really really short. We did what, 3 missions for Diaz before he got Lanced?

I remember liking Lance at the time, but maybe that was just the enjoyment of having a buddy after the previous game's solitary, zero interaction affairs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, I have no problem with Lance aside from his utterly braindead AI. Idiot AI companions that require constant babysitting are one of those things that never fail to get me mad about video games.

Like, if a mission is just really hard, I don't mind that too much even if I get frustrated over having to repeat the mission several times. However, if I keep failing a mission because Lance stops following me (because I dared to sprint) or decides to run into a hail of gunfire and get himself killed, that is total bullshit and I can't stand it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You now have two people join you as support who can fight outside a car, but that gang AI is still braindead.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Mr. Vercetti

It's time to buy some more property and complete (or at least show off) their asset missions, and once we're finished with that we'll assist Col. Cortez one last time. Next time, we'll be meeting some major recording artists...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You are correct about the showroom cars. All of the reward cars are totally unique (though the Sabre Turbo and Hotring Racer appear in missions where you can't keep them) and can't be acquired outside of unlocking them. According to the handling.cfg file, the Sabre Turbo has better acceleration and a top speed 13 MPH faster than the standard Sabre.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sales might have been better if the car property was closer to roads with traffic.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I knew I recognized the stones in San Andreas from somewhere. Forgot they were in the Vice City boatyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The Deluxo not having the wing doors is a huge disappointment.