Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is there a garage equivalent for boats? Cortez's offer to keep the speedboat would work better if you could actually, you know, keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Is there a garage equivalent for boats? Cortez's offer to keep the speedboat would work better if you could actually, you know, keep it.

No. GTA V was the first to let you keep non-land vehicles without glitches. They work around this with some vehicles by just adding a respawning copy of it, like the San Andreas school rewards. The white Infernus is actually Lance’s car!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 9: Fist Fury

Hello, Vice City! Are you adequately prepared to ROCK? No? Too bad, because Love Fist is in town!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Come get Love Fisted!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

As I mentioned in the video, two Love Fist songs were featured on the V-Rock radio station, and both of them are fantastic:

Fist Fury
Dangerous Bastard

There's also "Down Down Down" and "Fist Till Morning" which play during the radio commercial for their "Steel Heart Stone Cold Prostate Tour" and appear on the Love Fist EP on Apple Music and Spotify, but only "Fist Fury" and "Dangerous Bastard" have actual lyrics and were meant to be full songs.

edit: When I used to host Rock Band parties and sang lead vocals, I'd often quote Jezz Torrent's lines from the BIG ROCK ENDING of "Dangerous Bastard" when one of the Rock Band songs had a big rock ending.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 7, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Infamous British rag The Sun had an interview with the band that recorded the Love Fist songs. They got 200 pounds each.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Big Mitch Baker voiced by the Six Million Dollar Man himself, Lee Majors? It sure sounded like him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

jwalrus posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Big Mitch Baker voiced by the Six Million Dollar Man himself, Lee Majors? It sure sounded like him.
Certainly is!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This boomshine sounds like a great or terrible drink.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

This boomshine sounds like a great or terrible drink.

This is actually an unintentional effect of doing the side missions in this order. There are 9 purchasable assets, and you need to complete the mission chain for 7 of them to progress in the main storyline. Boomshine plays a major part in one of the assets (the only one that doesn't cost money to start) but the Love Fist bomb is the only time it's ever mentioned outside of these missions.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Oh if only I could tell you how many times I heard "That's not vodka, that's BOOMSHINE" when I was younger. So many failures on that mission. So. Many.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

chitoryu12 posted:

This is actually an unintentional effect of doing the side missions in this order. There are 9 purchasable assets, and you need to complete the mission chain for 7 of them to progress in the main storyline. Boomshine plays a major part in one of the assets (the only one that doesn't cost money to start) but the Love Fist bomb is the only time it's ever mentioned outside of these missions.

If you're talking about Phil, you can't access him until completing the Malibu quests, which is the most expensive asset.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: The Driver

Here it is. The mission you all want to see me suffer through.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yikes that picture is goony.

Kinda sad that Cam is the only one even remotely competent at his job, and we still need to hold his hand a bit to get the safe open.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's a trick to making The Driver really easy, but it's the opposite of intuitive. Get a 4 or 5 star wanted level before you start it. Hilary can't drive with blown tires, and it is really easy to ensure that he gets caught in a spike strip. After that, you can just steal another car, hit the Pay-n-Spray, and drive through the checkpoints at your leisure.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That mission was always a pain for me. His car also ignored having trucks placed on the road that I put there. Just tore through them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 17, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's a closer look at that keycard. I'm guessing it was a Rockstar developer or friend of theirs.

And along with the mansion, that chalk stripe suit Tommy is wearing is a throwback to the classic Scarface last stand as well as a suit from an episode of Miami Vice:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

And along with the mansion, that chalk stripe suit Tommy is wearing is a throwback to the classic Scarface last stand:

I already said that when we got the suit. :v:

Also, Scalding Coffee suggested in their post before they edited it that there are actually two police cars in the PS2/PC versions that show up to ram you at warp speed at one point. That does actually happen in both the location they mentioned (which we do see in the video) and another, completely different location as you can see here:

As you can also see, the cop cars didn't show up during my attempt:

HOWEVER, this is NOT a modification made by Rockstar Vienna for the Xbox port, because other videos I found on Youtube of the PS2 version also don't have the sudden cop cars in that intersection. This screenshot is from a video showing the original PS2 launch version of Vice City (which can be identified by the song that plays during the mission cutscene, as that was changed from "In A Big Country" by Big Country in the launch version to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five in all subsequent releases):

The bloom and motion blur in the PS2 shot are there because the player had the "Trails" option activated in the menu. It's an option on Xbox as well, but I turned it off because overblown bloom lighting and terrible motion blur just aren't very attractive. San Andreas on PS2 has a lot more post-processing effects and they can't be disabled, but they also look a lot better than the "Trails" in the prior games and I consider them an essential part of that game's presentation.

Anyway, it looks like there's an element of randomness to the cop car spawns, at least at that particular location. Is the randomness intentional or is the game glitching out? Who knows? It could go either way. :rockstar:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 17, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I had no idea there was a Rockstar emote and yet I am not surprised.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I caught the wrong pair of cars and saw it happen on your video. Had to edit my comment. The first scripted encounter being where you can see your mansion in the background. I did check other videos and it is random if those cars will show up at two spots in the mission.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 17, 2020

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I always found it both amusing and annoying that two of the three bank crew members require you to prove you're better at their jobs than they are. Also love everybody shouting out their real first names at each other in the bank. Cam can die during the heist without mission failure, and the dialogue at the end suggests Tommy and Phil take bigger shares as a result, but the reward is the same either way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alpha3KV posted:

I always found it both amusing and annoying that two of the three bank crew members require you to prove you're better at their jobs than they are. Also love everybody shouting out their real first names at each other in the bank. Cam can die during the heist without mission failure, and the dialogue at the end suggests Tommy and Phil take bigger shares as a result, but the reward is the same either way.

It's the dumbest lack of foresight, because you could even justify bringing Cam along by having a timer until you break into the vault and needing to defend him. As it plays out, you could have just had Tommy go in with three of his mansion goons and the results would have been exactly the same.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Tommy did do one smart thing, though, He did not involve Lance in the operation in any way, shape, or form.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: Inter Global Films (:nws:)

Tommy Vercetti, legendary motion picture producer. As for the spotlight mission, you can in fact use a helicopter to complete it but you still have to hit every checkpoint instead of flying straight to the goal.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 1, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Mildly"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, to my degenerate European sensibilities.

I get your point, though, so I'll just make that a proper :nws:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That last mission is particularly fun if you can get the bike in the elevator to drive around and assault the people in it. Tommy, no!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I loved the little pause after chaos asked why you didnt just land a helicopter on the roof the second time.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
That movie director sounds a LOT like Dennis Hopper.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dreadwroth2 posted:

That movie director sounds a LOT like Dennis Hopper.
He is!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

I just realized that lol!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GTA III had a lot of gangster movie guys, but it gave the GTA series enough clout to get a ton of very famous voices (even Candi Suxxx is voiced by Jenna Jameson) that continued through all the original games. Surprisingly, the change to a new platform with GTA IV seems to have resulted in a sudden loss in celebrity voice actors and even the latest game hasn't quite caught up (though they still maintain strict quality control so it's not noticeable).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like how the creepy "movie" director starts appraising Tommy for a role. :shark:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: Taxi Drivers Must Die!

Alternate title: Cabpocalypse Now

On a technical note, I decided to render the last few videos at 1080p instead of 1440p because YouTube would always take a long time to process the latter and it was kind of a pain.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 13, 2020

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Can Boomshine Saigon give you a wanted level on its own, or was that a GTA3 mission (or just being careless and crashing in front of cops or otherwise)?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Driving drunk in GTA IV and V will give you a wanted level if the cops see you, but here I think it's just if you crash into a cop car or run over someone while you're weaving all over the place.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Kaufman cabs aren't just a reference to Andy Kaufman, the interior is laid out identical to the layout of the Sunshine Cab Company from the very old sitcom Taxi.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I assume when you tried to replace the SMG during the first Phil mission the game wouldn't change it since the crappy one is one of the weapons collected from the gun runners?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This is why it is always a good idea to do the Malibu first despite the cost. Phil's is a great way to get the Good Weapons if you haven't gotten enough hidden packages, and even with the packages the M60 is nearly unique - I think there's only one other place in the game to get it, and that's a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Zebra Cab is a great car.