Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

Servant of the God Emperor of Mankind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

First mission soon :D

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:stare:

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013
Always excited to see where crossover let's plays lead to.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is gonna be something.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This will be glorious. No clue what is giong to happen but it will be glorious.

MUTONS FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SECTOPODS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was just going to download a bunch of 40k mods. You've beat me to them!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I look forward to the adventures of Brother Sigurdur, Space Wolf Wolf Scout.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Akratic Method posted:

I look forward to the adventures of Brother Sigurdur, Space Wolf Wolf Scout.

Get crit by a sectoid on the first ufo mission.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait, Grendel? As in Castus Grendel? :allears:

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

"You're sure about this? Because it seems like a..."

"Bradford, I know your contacts say the Commander is here, but what if they're lying? We'd just be wasting our forces in a frontal assault..."

"You're absolutely correct Lily. But we're not doing a frontal assault... at least not yet. I have..."

Walking over to the communications console, Bradford presses a button. A green light turns on and an ancient (but well maintained and cared for) radio activates. "Outrider, do you copy?"

"..."

"Outrider. You're clear to go"

The marching boots of well trained soldiers are heard over the radio, as well the incredibly quiet scuffs of feet upon pavement.

The boots quiet and the scuffs quietly run forward. The rustling of cloth is heard, as if something were being removed from a pocket or pouch. The small squeaks of metal turning against other metal, as well as quiet plinks of said metal dropping to the ground. Then something large begins to fall, before a hand catches it. With tender care, whatever fell is placed on the ground, and the scuff marks become rubs as if Outrider was crawling through something cramped. Marching boots are heard again.

The rubbing sounds continue, following the marching boots. As the boots draw closer to their destination, a voice begins to plead...

"I'm sorry, I know we're behind schedule!"

"We just need more time, we'll do it I promise! Just please, don't hurt me."

The thump of a rifle butt colliding with a poor doctor's midsection is heard. He screams in pain and falls to the floor.

One of the ADVENT troopers continues the beating, the others laugh and watches. Making use of the distraction, Outrider removes the vent cover in front of them. The noise is concealed by the sounds of the doctor being beat. A quick stab to the first trooper's heart end them quickly. Outrider's other hand goes to the second trooper's head and a quick twist ends their life with a crack.

The thirdtrooper briefly pauses as if he heard something.

But before he can turn around...

Outrider withdraws their knife and wipes the orange blood off on one of the dead trooper's armor. Their chilling mask turns to the doctor, who scrambles away in fear. Outrider grips their knife tightly as they stare at the collaborator. Outrider begins to advance on the doctor, knife clenched and anger rising. Outrider brings the knife up and prepares to stab it into the Doctor. But as they do Bradford's voice rings out over the radio...

In another time, Outrider may have been stilled by Bradford's voice. The doctor may have been saved, and things might have gone as they were meant to.

But not this time. For in this time Bradford is a second late. This time the momentum is too great for Outrider to stop themselves, even though they try. Outrider's knife stabs downwards and the knife quickly embeds itself in the doctor's chest, who screams in pain and begins to bleed profusely. Outrider stumbles backwards, but then snaps their head to the mission objective. Bradford's angry yelling is ignored as Outrider is drawn to it as a moth is drawn to a flame.

"...He's real. My God, the Commander does exist..."

"You have eyes on him? You've confirmed t-that he's alive?"

"Yes, he's preserved in stasis in a tube. From the readouts on the nearby consoles it seems they've been using his brain to run combat simulations. No wonder the fight against the aliens got so hard after XCOM fell..."

"Do you think you could extract him?"

"Maybe... But there would be too high a risk of failure. Even one as skilled as I could make a fatal mistake that dooms the commander."

"Acknowledged, pull back. Our boys will attack and liberate the commander."

"Copy. Moving out now. Turning off radio."

Outrider turns and leaves, intent on exiting via the vent they came in. But suddenly, a sound is heard behind them.

The slick thump of a knife hilt being buried in flesh.

Outrider whips around and to his astonishment see's the dying doctor slumped over the tube, Outrider's discarded knife lodged in the Commander, from which blood seeps out. Blood has spluttered out from the doctor's chest and stained his entire labcoat red. But Outrider's attempt to halt his stab turned what would have been an immediately lethal wound to an imminently wound. The doctor stares at Outrider and locks into eye contact, as his blood splutters and mixs in with the Commander's blood. The doctor smiles, too weak to laugh, and within seconds his gaze turns blank and his heart stops.

For a second Outrider stalls and pauses. Unsure what to do. Frozen, incapable of making the instinctual choice between flight or fight.

5 seconds.

10 seconds.

A minute.

Suddenly, the disciplined marching of boots is heard. Outrider springs into action, leaping forward and grabbing the Commander's body by the stasis suit. Throwing the body over their shoulder, a pistol is drawn from it's holster and fills the other hand. Outrider sprints out the little room. Alarmed cries of, "Mor Balaten!" are silenced by snap fire gunshots. Alarms ring out, patrol cars begin to screech into action, and the marching of boots comes from everywhere. Outrider flips their radio back on.

"I need evac right now. The mission has gone bad and the Commander is injured."

"W-w-what?!? Ho-- how did tha-a-a-a-"

"Acknowledged, Skyranger en route."

Outrider sprints into an alleyway, ADVENT shots scattering all around them. But never aimed for the Commander. Taking cover behind a pile of trash, Outrider suddenly hears the screech of engines overhead. A line of rope is lowered as ADVENT fire peppers the Skyranger. It's plates buckle, but hold firm as Outrider rapidly shimmies up the rope and boards it. Once Outrider is aboard the Skyranger the fire ceases, and the plane flies away at breakneck speeds before any Advent aircraft can even launch.

"Commander secured. Was wounded by doctor who I thought I'd killed. Beginning first aid treatment."

Now safe upon the ship, Outrider begins to perform medical treatment upon the dying Commander. The stasis suit's thickness prevented the knife from penetrating the heart luckily. Pulling out an anti-bacterial agent, Outrider rips off a piece of their coat and dips it into the agent. They then carefully remove the knife and tightly strap the soaked cloth to the wound. Blood no longer leaks from the wound, but when Outrider feels for a heart beat it continues to grow weaker. Pulling out another knife, Outrider cuts an opening in the stasis suit. They then pull out an IV tube with needles on both ends and without any hesitation, slams one needle into their arm. They then carefully insert the other end of the tube into one of the Commander's veins. Letting their lifeblood flow into the Commander, Outrider checks the heartbeat again...

It's strong.

Crumpling in on themselves, Outrider lets go a gigantic sigh, before straightening up and addressing the radio once again.

"Commander stabilized. They seem to have entered a coma, but their life is no longer in danger."

Back at base, Bradford lets go of his iron grip upon a poor unfortunate railing and breathes a sigh of relief. Lily throws the whiskey she was nervously nursing into a nearby corridor for a janitor to take a sip of. Well, the puddle at least.

"Good. The mission went bad, but at least the Commander is safe."

"Gone bad? If that loving gas mask wearing edgelord hadn't stabbed that doctor we could have saved the Commander WITHOUT a stab wound that will take *months* for Tygan to heal!! I told you we shouldn't have associated with those crazy survivalists!"

"She is right, the fault is mine. But mine alone, I beg of you to not cast blame upon the Reapers as a whole."

"Your performance paints me a dim picture of how well Volk trains his people. Once the Skyranger returns, you can head back home. We no longer requires your services."

"But!"

"Don't you dare argue with me. You just almost lost the most important human in existence, and it's taking every fiber of my being to stop myself from using the decades of combat experience I have to turn you into a gas mask wearing pile of paste. Home, fucker. Understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Good. Bradford out."

The radio line is closed and Bradford turns to Lily.

"So what now?:

"Well, Geist has made some overtures of cooperation, and he has an agent nearby who's agreed to assist us. We can probably-"

"Not loving THAT! What do we do? The Commander was supposed to give us direction, give us an overall strategy, give us hope! He's going to be out for months, months that we don't have! We could all be dead by the time he's awake, and then its back to being a glorified tactical computer for him."

Tears begin to leak out of Lily's eyes like a waterfall, but a strong hand lays itself upon her shoulder. Turning her head to Bradford, his gaze bores into hers. There's anger there, years of it, but determination as well. But most of all, a desire for vengeance. Lily calms as she stares into his eyes.

"What we do is simple. We're going to take vengeance."

Bradford approaches the ancient radio once again and flips switches, turns dials, presses buttons, and attunes it to a different frequency.

"Alpha Team, do you read?"

Yes sir. Vox channel open.

"Loud and clear sweater boy."

"Indeed I do, for I sensed that you would call me. My radio was tuned to this frequency but a few scarce seconds ago."

"Yes."

"Good. The enemy has injured the Commander. There is an ADVENT monument 3 blocks from the hidden underground bunker you're hiding in. I want it destroyed. "

"Those sons of bitches! I'll make Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like playground fighting!"

"It will be rendered to naught but rubble."

"Their very minds and souls will be rent asunder."

"No mercy."

"The Skyranger has been damaged and its unlikely for you to be able to return. Are you OK with that?

Not but static is heard from Alpha Team.

"Suit up then. Remember, no prisoners."

Terse acknowledgements are given and the four soldiers move to long hidden lockers. With a grim purpose armor and weapons are withdrawn, ammunition stored in pouches. Guns are cleaned and cleaned again, and then tested that they'd naught jam. Armor is donned, with assistance from squad mates. Eventually, they are ready, and they leave. Up the moldy stairs, up the decaying stairs, until they open a concealed door in the sewers. Through the neglected poo poo canals they wade for 3 blocks in grim silence, before reaching a ladder. Knowing exactly where they are, they each climb up a ladder and slide the lid off. The gaudy statue is spotted, and sneers are upon their faces. They will do their duty.

They shall know no fear.

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 19, 2019

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

That was meant to be a short intro part of the first mission post but it kind of ballooned into it's own thing! I'm going to take a break for now. Will post up the first mission soon :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I remember when narrative LPs used to be a pretty frequent Thing around here, some of which were actually really good. I look forward to seeing how this one pans out.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

SirSamVimes posted:

I remember when narrative LPs used to be a pretty frequent Thing around here, some of which were actually really good. I look forward to seeing how this one pans out.

I grew up reading them on the lparchive! now im old and confident enough in my writing to try my own hand at it :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could you try editing the portraits to be the same size? This is, quite frankly, painful to read.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

Could you try editing the portraits to be the same size? This is, quite frankly, painful to read.

I don't doubt that and I did think to do it, but im bbcode newb. How do you do that?

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

nvm I just resized all the portraits in paint. should be good now! :)

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, Grendel? As in Castus Grendel? :allears:

yesss!!!!! I am not the one who wrote the original Grendel story but it is one of my FAVORITE 40k stories and i thought it would be a fun easter egg for anyone who recognized him :D

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 19, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Try not to triple post, my dude. But yeah I caught that too. Im curious how you're going to weave this together.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to it! Once more unto the alien breach.

... I do sorta wonder how the whole tactical discipline of the Imperial Guard of 'no retreat, no surrender' will translate to XCOM where you often have to Case Black rather often..

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Our guys are space marines (They shall no fear being an iconic ability on the tabletop) who I believe are allowed to fall back in combat if it's part of good tactics rather than running away like a punk.

Sometimes you just gotta get away from the Khorne Berserkers and shoot them repeatedly.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

Operation Gatecrasher
Date: March 21, 2035 of Earth Calendar

"So... Volt. Magic man. You know how to use that sword on your hip?"

"It's not magic! It's the unlocked power of the human mind, the untapped potential in our latent thoughts! THE-"

"So it's magic."

"Witch's work."

"...It's not dissimilar."

"Right on brother. You can magically scalp some of those suckers once we charge in and give them hell."

"That is a poor tactical choice Carolina. Death will come to these foul aliens and their sycophant servants, but it must be done cautiously and with great care."

"Umashankar's right. Rushing will get us killed. I've been in enough firefights to know that."

"...Can't believe I'm taking orders from a newbie on his first mission. poo poo, Umashankar's barely been with us for over a week. Why'd we let him in Mihir?"

"Because when I was scouting I found 4 dead ADVENT troopers in an alleyway, with him standing over them."

"Yes yes, a grim reminder of an impressive achievement. But the immense power of human minds has yet to grant us a vision of a clear strategy."

"What if we went back in the sewers, planted a bunch of bombs everywhere, went out of the sewers, jacked a plane, rammed that plane into the monument, and then kidnap a muto-"

Carolina's elaborate plan is cut short by Umashankar stepping forward and pointing at a nearby roof.

"High ground."

"Sounds good to me. Simple and easy to execute."

"The voices tell me this is a good idea."

"...Bastards."

Volt, Umashankar, and Mihir run at the roof. Grouping together at the bottom of a pipe leading to the roof, they each clamber up it one after another. Volt jumps from hand hold to hand hold with the confidence of one who considers failure impossible. Mihir scrambles up, his eyes darting around looking for any possible threat as he does so. Umashankar is orderly and highly deliberate in the way he climbs the pipe. The three of them quickly hide behind the railings on the rim of the roof. Finally coming out of her sulk, Carolina begrudgingly clambers up the pipe. It's like watching a 136 pound monkey scramble up a tree for a banana. She soon is atop the building and sprints over to join the rest of Alpha Team.

"Alright, what're we doing now?"

"Shhhhhhhhhhhh."

Their warnings seem to come too late, as the thumps of ADVENT boots upon concrete is heard approaching.

"Mor Balaten?"

"gently caress, I'm sorry!"

"I'm ready to fire. We should seize upon this opportunity before reinforcements arrive."

"Volt, you got any magic you can do to soften them up. A lightning bolt or a fireball?"

"Oh, certainly."

"Behold the magic of Uziel Gal."

"Holy Jesus, they're all loving dead."

"It's.... it's never that easy. How was it that easy?"

"Because I believed it would."

"gently caress you mean newbie?"

"An action taken without faith will fail. The hands will waver, the spirit will doubt, and the bullets will stray. I did not pray it would work, I knew my God would make it work. And it did."

"...If we hadn't just killed an entire ADVENT squad before they could even shoot back I'd call you crazy. For now, I'll settle for calling you evangelical."

"The psionic energy that latently rests in all of us is indeed tied to emotions. Belief is a powerful force, if a man takes a pill of sugar and truly believes it to be medicine, they shall feel better."

"Yeah yeah bullshit philosophy. They're dead and we're not! WOO! Let's reload and get ready for the next batch."

Alpha team quickly reloads their weapons with the nonstandard, yet well practiced, rhythm of citizen soldiers.

"We need to scout ahead. The majority of us should hold the high ground, but one must go forth."

"I shall go forth. The mighty armor and cybernetics that helps me to control my power also makes me tougher then you unawakened. Forward! For humanity!"

With purple psionic energy pumping through his legs, Volt leaps off the roof and lands upon a street lamp. He perches there for a moment, as a coiled cat chasing a bird perches upon a tree. For a few brief seconds he pauses and reaches out with a hand, as if he were feeling something... With a quick hop, he jumps down and lands upon the pavement. The Templar runs forward, sliding up against hard cover and cautiously looks around for enemies. His submachine gun is in hand and ready to fire, as he peers around his cover.

"What a showoff."

"Yeah."

"This agility is impressive, but his superfluous movements waste energy."

"Cease your pointless jealousy. Something is coming..."

"Grak ta!"

In an instant, Volt's uzi is in his hand and brought up to fire.

"There are two squads ahead, one led by a Captain and another led by a Sectoid. I shall deal with the enemy psionic, but for now I must retreat away from their range of fire."

As Volt flees, terse orders are barked by the Captain. The sectoid is slow to respond and it's brain pulsing with psionic energy, as if it were sensing something strange. In the meantime, the Captain and two troopers charge after Volt

"Get ready to fire, men!"

"Hey, some of us aren't men!"

"It's a metaphor! Now shut up and OPEN FIRE!"

The discarded bullet shells fall to the roof, filling the late night with clinks. But they're drowned out by the budda budda of assault rifles roaring their anger. Most of the shots strike true and bury themselves within the ADVENT Captain, but Umashankar's fire goes wide. The Captain's armor saves his life by a thread, but one of the troopers falls to the ground dead mid sprint for cover. The rest of the troopers take cover.

"Krik sa!"

On the Captain's command, the ADVENT soldiers retaliate and open fire.

The initial shots go wide, only damaging the roof.

"Gah! I'm hit, I'm hit! Oh god, the mag round went straight into my chest. I-I'm bleeding... I... I CAN'T DIE HERE NOW." Gritting his teeth

"You dicks! You fucks! You shits! You making GBS threads loving dicks! How dare you hurt him!"

Like clockwork, Carolina and Mihir rise from their cover. Gun sights are brought to ADVENT heads and the bang of assault rifles rips through the air.

"...Prit."

"Mihir, you asked if I could cast a fireball?"

"Abracadabra."

"You know I think I know that spell. Is it by chance the incantation of M67?"

"Excellent work. Carolina, guard Mihir. Everyone, on your toes. The xenos psyker is inbound."

"Fire! FIRE! FIRE!"

"drat rifles. If only I had my pistol."

"Carolina, you remember when you inquired about my sword?"

"gently caress you, Volt. I'm not playing around with whatever coy crap you're trying to lead me too, especially when a mind controlling necromancer is about to kill us all!"

Volt shakes his head in amusement.

"Well, then I shall monologue to myself. Because you see, I once needed this sword. It was given to me by Geist, and I defended myself with it. But the thing is that now..."

Volt begins to slowly, deliberately walk towards the Sectoid and its accompanying troopers. Psionic energy roils and pulses through his armor, channeling along cybernetic implants, metal conduits, and plastic hoses. The Sectoid points and screeches a command, and the ADVENT troopers open fire on the Templar. The Sectoid lines up it's own devastating plasma weapon and a sickly green beam flanked by tiny red mag shots courses forward.

"No!"

Mihir thrusts his hands forward, as if in a futile attempt to stop the bullets. But his futile attempt... isn't so futile. Mihir's eyes begin to glow purple, his arms twitch and seize, and his nose begins to bleed. Carolina desperately tries to comfort him, but he throws her off as he thrusts his hand forward again. At first, only a few bare strands of psionic energy escape his fingertips. But they are soon joined by more threads, until a myriad ropes and tentacles have surrounded the Templar in a protective barrier. The green beam harmlessly glances off of it and the red mag shots halt and fall to the ground the moment they collide with the barrier. Mihir strains with the effort, yelling. Though whether it's in pain, anger, or something else is difficult to say. Volt, on the other hand, isn't surprised. Indeed, as he turns around to look at Mihir, he seems almost expectant.

"So, you have awakened. Excellent. However..."

With a wave of a hand, some of Volt's ambient psionic energy wisps out and merges with the barrier surrounding him. Once within, the wisps grow larger and swirl around, enticing Mihir's psionic energy to follow them. With a point from Volt, the energy is guided back to Mihir. Once it enters him, he abruptly gasps and his eyes regain focus. His nose bleed stops and he leans upon Carolina, who is hugging him tightly. He hugs her back, the two leaning on each other for support.

"No need to kill yourself on my account, young comrade." Volt turns back to the enemy. "I can take care of myself."

"Now, as I was saying to myself. I once needed this sword." He motions to the sword. The sectoid hisses when it sees the weapon and lashes out with a psionic attack. Volt doesn't even break his monologue as he bats it away.
"Back when I was a novice, I mean. I used this sword to slay more then a few ADVENT troopers."

"Mor balaten!" Mag shots ring out, Volt quickens his pace and weaves through them as if he were playing dodgeball. The wires and tubes of his armor glow a bright purple, and crackle with electricity. His speed increases, he becomes little more then a blur as he jumps from cover to cover. Leaping off of railings, backflipping over bushes, and sliding underneath cars. All the while, his gauntlets glow. Glow. Glow brighter. Suddenly, almost as if he had teleported there, he is a single foot away from one of the troopers. His gauntlets are dripping with psionic energy and in a conversational tone he says...

"But I only keep it out of nostalgia."

With a pulse, all of his stored psionic energy surges into his gauntlets, and two purple lightning swords ignite. What follows happens so fast... that to the rest of Alpha Team it was like a dream.

"The path to the Monument is open, comrades!"

"Holy loving poo poo."

"Never seen anything... anything like it..."

"Acknowledged, Volt. Moving on objective now."

"Hey, hey! Aren't you being a little loving blase? That was AMAZING!"

"He has killed 3 enemies this mission, the same that I have. More importantly, he has opened the path to our mission objective. We need to destroy it before ADVENT reinforcements arrive."

"He is correct. We must move quickly. I already sense hundreds of ADVENT descending upon our position."

"drat... Guess it really was... a suicide mission."

"Mihir, I-I-I-I know I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat, b-b-b-b-but if we're aa-a-about to d-d-die I-I-I just want you to k-k-know-"

"I know." He pulls down her metal muzzle and kisses her on the lips. "I know."

"We're not dying here."

"...What?"

Umashankar pulls out an explosive and attaches it to the gaudy statue.

"We're not dying here."

"Yes I heard that, but it's bullshit. There's no way out."

"Do not presume the path of destiny is a railroad. There is always the road less traveled."

"Evac is coming."

"The gently caress you talking about, the Skyranger is hosed to hell!"

"Not that. My evac. I expect you to join me on it."

"What is it some loving derelict van or some poo poo?"

"No. It's much worse."

Umashankar finishes setting up the explosive and pulls out a communicator. He stares at for a moment, as if even despite the mortal danger he's weighing whether or not it's worth calling. Eventually he whispers to himself,

"...Such a stupid call-sign."

With the flick of a button, the communicator is turned on.

"This is Imperial Actual to... sigh, to Big Wolf 1 requesting evac on my coordinates. Three prospective recruits "

"Ach about facking time ya called mi een yew milksop. I've done naught but sit in this crappy cockpit fer three wolfing WEEKS!"

"A true tragedy for an immortal. There's plenty of enemy reinforcements coming. Maybe the prospect of wasting ammunition on superfluous targets will motivate you."

"All you had ta sae darling. The machine spirits a roarin' AND SO AM I! Be theer soon, Big Wolf 1 oot.

With a flick of the finger and a roll of the eyes, the communicator is turned off. Umashankar sits down, as if to patiently wait.

"A-Are you serious? Y-you're just gonna sit there. The gently caress? The poo poo even was that loving conversation."

"All will be revealed in time."

"So you know what's going on then?"

"Not a clue! :D "

"I really hate you sometimes."

Minutes pass. Alarms blare, battalions of ADVENT surround them. Patrol cars speed in and blockade the roads. Two drop ships patrol overhead, their spotlights bare upon the cornered rebels. Even a grey armored General is present, seen at a distance gesturing and giving orders to squads. ADVENT is taking no chances. Through it all, Umashankar sits stoically. Mihir and Carolina shift nervously, while Volt joins Umashankar in sitting down. He begins to meditate. Just when it looks like Carolina is about to explode from nerves, she turns her head to a far off noise in the distance. A high pitch screeching and a roaring rumble. Engines? Mihir, Volt, and Carolina perk up and turn their heads to the sound. A silhouette is hurtling through the sky at 2000 kilometers an hour towards them. With moments, it is within the city, ducking and diving between skyscrapers.

The two dropships attempt to intercept it, but it is as if a bee were to try to stop an eagle. Wing mounted guns swivel and take aim at the gnats, delivering a steady rhythm of fire. Though referring to them as guns is perhaps a disservice, for their chambered ammunition is .75 self propelled explosive rounds. The drop ships barely last seconds. The ship pivots and dives, its guns raining hell upon the ADVENT ground forces as it approaches the monument. It pulls to a stop overhead of the four humans, two of which can do not but stare agape. The nose of it's cockpit dips forward and determined hydraulics press against stubborn metal to force open the assault ramp. The cockpit is empty, for at this point the Thunderhawk's Machine Spirit is in control.

No, its pilot can be found by tracing the ropes which are tossed down to the mortals. He's tall, tall enough to look an ADVENT mech in the eye without even craning his neck. His muscles bulge with genetically designed purpose and indeed they can be seen, for it is only them and his face which are not protected by armor. Slash scars accentuate his mutton chopped face and a wild mohawk rises above his ecstatic head. Ecstatic indeed, for a gigantic scoped bolter is held by his hands and a steady stream of well aimed bolt shells are being shot out of it. But the noise of the gun is drowned out by the man's laughter, for it is outrageous and as loud as a thunder clap.

Inquisitorial Dossier: Sigurdr "Grease" Olaffsson

Chapter of Origin: Space Wolves

Date of Birth: Year 329 of the 13th Grand Saga of the Space Wolves

A Veteran Wolf Scout of over 400 years of age, Sigurdr has been most places and done most things. He's slain every Xenos at least once, and sworn a blood debt to everyone who's ever helped him. He's even repaid most of them! But after Inquisitor Grendel's incredible feats of heroism, which saved Sigurdr's soul from being harvested by a Khornate Daemon Prince, Sigurdr knew he could never repay this debt. For even if this planet is saved, Sigurdr will only go back to Grendel and ask for a new one.

"HÖHÖHÖHÖHÖHÖ! Is ip nawt liek shewting fish in frozen lake?! Run, flree you xenosh shcum! The Emperor's Reckoning is upon yew!!!"

Briefly pausing his murderous rampage, Sigurdr picks up a pack and throws it down.

"Hyeer! Yew lewk nekkid witout eet!"

Umashankar reaches out a hand and grabs it. Setting it upon his lap, Umashankar unzips it and reaches in. A pointed red hat with a twin headed eagle and a skull emblazoned upon it is taken out, as well as a gas mask. Carolina and Mihir can only stare agape as Umashankar dons the gas mask and then balances the hat atop it like a zen rock sculpture. Even Volt is bemused.

"What the f-gently caress is happening. W-w-what, w-w-who, WHO ARE YOU-"

Suddenly, Umashankar thrusts his hand into his pack and at lightning speed pulls out the largest pistol any of them had ever seen. He points it at Carolina and pulls the trigger. The shot misses her by a hair's breadth and the pulp of flesh exploding is heard from behind her. An ADVENT trooper who had snuck up behind them crumples to the ground, devoid of a head or even most of an upper torso. Carolina rapidly looks between the dead ADVENT and Umashankar as he stands up and hoists the pack on his back.

Inquisitorial Dossier: York Umashankar

World of Origin: Armageddon

Date of Birth: Month 2, Day 39, 3221s Year of Third War for Armageddon

A dedicated Veteran Commissar of the Armageddon Steel Legion, York's most notable for his leadership skills. Regiments accompanying him rise their victory rates by 15.3331%. He's most used to fighting the foul greenskins, the orks. It is said he slew his first greenskin when he was 9. Rumor is that a gretchin found its way into his hab unit, and he was able to kill it with a kitchen knife. He's been fighting ever since.

"Umashankar. York Umashankar."

"Up on the ship, now."

Carolina is the first to go up, frantically grabbing onto the rope like a drowning sailor grabs upon driftwood. She then turns around and reaches back to help Mihir up, who looks pale but determined. Volt nonchalantly pulses some psionic energy into his legs and leaps atop the ramp, bypassing the rope. Satisfied that his orders were followed, Commissar York follows suit. Sigurdr helps out by yanking the rope upwards as if it were string and dragging Carolina, Mihir, and York onto the ramp. York points to series of seats, all of which are much too big for Alpha Team but would fit Sigurdr nicely. They happily scramble to them, as eager to rest on the metal seats as if they were queen's size beds. Only York remains standing.

"O-kay Matilda, de squishies are aboyard. Yew may take oof new."

At Sigurdr's words, the Assault Ramp closes and the ship takes off, hurtling away at breakneck speeds. Alpha Team do their best not to hurl. York and Sigurdr sway a little.

"Detonating fyceline charge now."

The smoke can be seen for miles as the flames spread throughout the city. But at the rate the Thunderhawk is traveling, the city is left behind in minutes.

York marches over to Alpha Team and reaches into a compartment, withdrawing a bottle of Armageddon Whiskey and five glasses. Sigurdr pulls out a card table and five chairs, and sets them down right in the center of the deck. York sits down upon one of them and begins pouring the whiskey.

"So, I believe you had some questions for me?"

------------------------------------------------------

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 21, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have never played Warhammer. I have played a lot of XCOM and XCOM2.

Can you please explain what gameplay mods are in place and what they're doing?

Examples: the cone-shaped spray the Templar got. His apparently ability to melee several times in the same turn (unless that was you just getting liberal with the screenshots for narrative purposes). Everyone having more HP than they ordinarily would on Gatecrasher.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:munch: I am entertained by this. It's very well done.

FairGame posted:

Examples: the cone-shaped spray the Templar got. His apparently ability to melee several times in the same turn (unless that was you just getting liberal with the screenshots for narrative purposes). Everyone having more HP than they ordinarily would on Gatecrasher.

Looks to me like the double-health mod that makes firefights longer but also balances out some overpowered mod weapons.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

FairGame posted:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:munch: I am entertained by this. It's very well done.

Looks to me like the double-health mod that makes firefights longer but also balances out some overpowered mod weapons.

Welp, I wanted to procrastinate putting together a mod list of what I got for as long as possible since I'd much rather be doing the actual writing, but I guess it's necessary :sigh:. For now I'll answer these questions as they're rather important.

"what gameplay mods are in place"

The primary gameplay mods are musashi's RPG overhaul and musashi's stealth overhaul. Musashi's RPG overhaul completely changes classes and leveling up, and I believe also gives certain weapons inherent abilities. This is why the Uzi has the spray ability.

However, the doubled health is not from a mod. It is from one of the Advanced Options, Beta Strike. It doubles both my soldiers and the enemy's health. That sectoid for example had 20 health iirc. I did this because I've grown bored of the alpha strike focused xcom 2 firefights and OPness of explosives so I checked a box. In a similar vein, I turned on Lengthy Scheme and Time Turner which double the length of the Avatar project and mission turn times respectively. I think this will serve the narrative well!

"getting liberal with the screenshots for narrative purposes"

Getting liberal with the screenshots is exactly what I did! What I do is I take a bunch of screenshots, delete the ones which I think look like crap, and then storyboard the post with the remaining ones. From there once the visual flow of the fight is sorted I write it out! I do not depict missions exactly as they happened, I instead stick to the important events. For example, Mihir got wounded and was the only one to get wounded. He also *o no spoilers* got a biotic class from the supersoldier class mod I have, which in this case is going to be rationalized as a psyker class. The templar went on an absolute mad lad melee rampage and didn't get hit once. All these were used as inspiration!

Eagle eyed readers will be able to spot continuity errors if they look closely and I encourage you to do so! Think of it as a fun game :)

Also I have some appreciation to throw out.

I would like to thank Deadmeat5150, TheGreatEvilKing, Akratic Method, Jalak, wedgekree, Phrosphor, and CommissarMega for their engagement and kind words. Positive feedback is what lets me know that there's people to those view metrics :)

I'd also like to thank Deadmeat5150, FairGame, and anilEhilated for either politely pointing out ways that the LP can be improved or in FairGame's case asking questions on things that need clarification.

I'm going to go run a dnd game and will get the next post up asap :D

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 20, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh man, this is awesome.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
drat, this is gonna be interesting. I was cackling when Volt murderkilled that bunch of Advent.
Good writing, man.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Emperor Protects.

Are you accepting volunteers from the audience, or do you have characters in mind?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Veloxyll posted:

The Emperor Protects.

Are you accepting volunteers from the audience, or do you have characters in mind?

I can't believe I didn't ask this first.

Shame. Shame!

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

Veloxyll posted:

The Emperor Protects.

Go ahead. Pitch me a concept for a character and I'll filter it in. Only a concept so I can go creative with it! Also keep in mind that it will be a while until any more offworld transfers take place. So any foreign guardsmen, space marines, or other personnel will take a while to show up. And following the inverse law of coolness, Space Marines the rarest of the rare and will take the longest to show up. But they're gonna be the baddest of asses. Though considering how long I hope for this campaign to be, who knows its possible some natives might get geneseed :wink:

To give you a preview of whats coming, that thunderhawk is basically loaded with 40k equipment, so I'm going to doll out natives in 40k equipment and turn XCOM over time into a Earth's PDF.

I think that's about all the info you guys need, so go wild! There's no limitations on what type of Imperial personnel you can submit!

Also I just noticed the swear filter and that poo poo's hilarious. Gonna canonize it, gonna go through the posts and correct any grammar issues as a result but apart from that im leaving it. [Edit] NVM that's weird I guess it was just on mobile that I saw it for some reason???

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 21, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You’re not logged in on mobile, I’m guessing.

Can you explain a little bit of the Warhammer stuff? Or if you integrate it into the updates that’s cool too.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

FairGame posted:

You’re not logged in on mobile, I’m guessing.

Can you explain a little bit of the Warhammer stuff? Or if you integrate it into the updates that’s cool too.

Ask me questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I encourage you to look into it on your own though, wiki diving warhammer is v fun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Exposition in storytelling would be awesome if you want to write it out, since xcom nerds need to learn too.

Character idea: Rock Hardslab - Brooklyn native who is tough as nail except around Losy. Terrified of them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Character idea: A spiritualistic, almost shamanistic person from the wild areas, seldom touched by the old regiemes of man and seldom touched by the xenos too. Probably a First Nations/Native American/Aboriginal sort of guy. Possibly a central figure in some off-the-grid community, possibly a latent psyker. Certainly heretical by Warhammer standards.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 21, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've been on a warhammer kick lately, so sure. This looks cool.

Concepts? Sure here's one. Older dude, but has a dose of the ol berserker fury in him. Has heard the dark whispers trying to convince him to put that rage to serve higher powers in return for strength, but is incredibly, irritatingly stubborn. Absolutely is not a fan of ADVENT kicking over his favorite places though. ((Ideally enough willpower to know that running at a man with a gun on his own is not a good use of his efforts))

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I don't know what this is but I will be reading every turn for the EMPRAH

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Exposition in storytelling would be awesome if you want to write it out, since xcom nerds need to learn too.

Character idea: Rock Hardslab - Brooklyn native who is tough as nail except around Losy. Terrified of them.

Drakenel posted:

I've been on a warhammer kick lately, so sure. This looks cool.

Concepts? Sure here's one. Older dude, but has a dose of the ol berserker fury in him. Has heard the dark whispers trying to convince him to put that rage to serve higher powers in return for strength, but is incredibly, irritatingly stubborn. Absolutely is not a fan of ADVENT kicking over his favorite places though. ((Ideally enough willpower to know that running at a man with a gun on his own is not a good use of his efforts))

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Character idea: A spiritualistic, almost shamanistic person from the wild areas, seldom touched by the old regiemes of man and seldom touched by the xenos too. Probably a First Nations/Native American/Aboriginal sort of guy. Possibly a central figure in some off-the-grid community, possibly a latent psyker. Certainly heretical by Warhammer standards.

all these sound good to me and I have 3 malleable starting rookies ready for transformation :D

Inquisitor Grendel fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 21, 2019

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Character Concept: Former alcoholic now evangelical recently lost his faith. He needs something, some cause, to believe in to keep from relapsing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Character: Imperial Guardsman of low morale. Sent into too many meatgrinders of forward assaults until the enemy broke or the regiment broke. Has been part of three regiments which shattered and in turn had to be rebuilt or the survivors thrown into other units. Mostly wants to survive wahtever hellhole they're thrown into. Had gathered some very basic technical skills from this. Prone to displays of borderline self preservation and prefers to stay behind the front line. Sent to another war zone in hopes of 'being toughened up to proper standards' as is a veteran that has somehow survived a great many battles which left the units at virtually zero combat effectiveness. As result large number fo borderine supersitions which don't -quite- violate Emperor's Faith but get a watchful eye from the Commissars.

Basically support (however you use the class). Prefers to tactically stay out of range of immediate firefight. If possible has low courage. Few too many times with horrible leaders that get the idea of trying to smother the enemy strongpoints in trenches of corpses (a la the superior tactical acumen of Grand General "Zapp" Brannigan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

cambrian obelus posted:

Character Concept: Former alcoholic now evangelical recently lost his faith. He needs something, some cause, to believe in to keep from relapsing.

accepted

wedgekree posted:

Character: Imperial Guardsman of low morale. Sent into too many meatgrinders of forward assaults until the enemy broke or the regiment broke. Has been part of three regiments which shattered and in turn had to be rebuilt or the survivors thrown into other units. Mostly wants to survive wahtever hellhole they're thrown into. Had gathered some very basic technical skills from this. Prone to displays of borderline self preservation and prefers to stay behind the front line. Sent to another war zone in hopes of 'being toughened up to proper standards' as is a veteran that has somehow survived a great many battles which left the units at virtually zero combat effectiveness. As result large number fo borderine supersitions which don't -quite- violate Emperor's Faith but get a watchful eye from the Commissars.

Basically support (however you use the class). Prefers to tactically stay out of range of immediate firefight. If possible has low courage. Few too many times with horrible leaders that get the idea of trying to smother the enemy strongpoints in trenches of corpses (a la the superior tactical acumen of Grand General "Zapp" Brannigan).

accepted! you'll be seeing this as soon as I get the opportunity to justify a new 40k transfer

There is currently still one rookie in the starting roster who is neither a character I've created or a character concept I've put in the game.!