Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Djarum posted:

I somehow doubt it. Nixon is still looked at as a crook despite any sort of positives he accomplished in his Presidency. Saint Reagan is looking worse as the years go by as well.

Trump will be looked at as a national disgrace. He has accomplished nothing but getting away with crimes as President. His Presidency will be looked at as the GOP desperately clinging to power no matter the cost and both will be judged harshly for it.

Republicans will make him their new Reagan for the next 20 years and will talk about all the same themes while memory-holing the curruption. No actual historian will buy it though and so he’ll go from badly remembered overall in the near term to worse than Nixon relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Kirk posted:

Trump is going to be treated very favorably by historians. American conservatives are rehabilitating Nixon in real time before our eyes, and their continual assaults on objective reporting will make any attempt at objective history extremely difficult in another 10-20 years.

I know people like to think that the ~digital age~ will solve these problems of inaccurate history, but as we saw in the past 4 years it has actually made it more difficult.

You just need to see the period of time that Nixon and Regan happened in, and compare it to Trump. Right now you have every single thing Trump has done documented in social media so good luck being a serious historian trying to say that Trump's presidency wasn't marred in controversy and scandal. Sure you will get your right wing conservative hacks trying to write about Trump being the greatest president since Regan or some such bullshit, but historically speaking Trump will be seen as a stain on American democracy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Djarum posted:

Well Nixon went on a crusade on trying to rehab his image somewhat in the years immediately after. By the 80s he largely kept mostly out of sight. I think his goal was not to let what he did accomplish be overshadowed by Watergate. I don't think he ultimately succeeded but it seems that many of his foreign policy "triumphs" have ultimately not been great for the United States long term most notably China.

W has basically stayed mostly out of sight and out of mind. I believe he has tried some real basic test the waters on being a public figure again in the past few years, mostly because Trump has been such a disaster. W will never be fully forgiven for Iraq and the Florida recount. He also never really accomplished any major things in office either. He will be judged poorly for the foreign policy disasters.

Trump will be looked as a stain on America and Western Democracy in general. I have little doubt that the name "Trump" will be used as a derogatory term for decades to come. While his administration has accomplished little in terms of law or policy, the sheer amount of open corruption, destruction of norms as well as long term alliances along with the rampant amount of open racism will be looked at as appalling. Even once he is out of office we will be learning of the crimes and corruption for years to come. I have little doubt that every single member of his administration will be in jail at some point after he is out of office.

he is gonna be another harding but instead like harding who was idiot who wasnt an evil gently caress but mostly a corrupt moron who got pushed into the presidency because of his looks and his wife. trump will just remembered as a corrupt loving rear end in a top hat monster.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thread was great at making things more digestible, even if those things were sanity poisoning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1225928445252833281

sondland is fired.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Might be worth keeping this thread around a bit to document the extent of Trump's revenge.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Might be worth keeping this thread around a bit to document the extent of Trump's revenge.

this. i kinda wish this became the new trump thread but i think we should at least keep it open for the shitshow friday night massacre poo poo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
:chaostrump:"Time to prove how innocent I am by firing people who spoke out against the crime I didn't commit"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, i think mulvaney and a couple others will be next. he is gonna be doing this all night and weekend. he will also try to gently caress over schiff/house dems and probably romney.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i think mulvaney and a couple others will be next. he is gonna be doing this all night and weekend. he will also try to gently caress over schiff/house dems and probably romney.

He's already started on Romney with expanded drilling in Utah national parks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
He is totally shouting at Kushner to fire Romney right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Madkal posted:

He is totally shouting at Kushner to fire Romney right now.

he might try to force him out of the party.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I know that if I'm innocent, I fire all the people who testified under oath against me.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I know that if I'm innocent, I fire all the people who testified under oath against me.

I won, you lost. Hand in your badge and tiki torch on your way out.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

He's already started on Romney with expanded drilling in Utah national parks.

Romney's been trying to get that for ages. (Monuments, not parks - monuments allow private mineral rights)

Trump just really loving hates nature.

It's actually illegal, though we're long past the point where that matters. Some (all?) of these are transfers, which is more of a gray area.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 8, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, because they're all lying, right? Which means we can now prosecute them for perjury. Or they can sue for wrongful termination. And let's open up the floodgates for 100 more months of trials.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Stickman posted:

Romney's been trying to get that for ages. (Monuments, not parks - monuments allow private mineral rights)

Trump just really loving hates nature.

People say Donald Trump is basically a captain planet villain but they are wrong. He is all of the captain planet villains combined.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sereri posted:

People say Donald Trump is basically a captain planet villain but they are wrong. He is all of the captain planet villains combined.

So... Captain Pollution?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he might try to force him out of the party.

the party already disinvited him to cpac.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ManBoyChef posted:

Which is more of a formality than anything because he hasn't been in years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

i mean he hasnt been there since 2013. not much of a loss.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kicking Romney out of the GOP really doesn't do anything. MAYBE he caucuses with democrats and throws majority over to schumer, but that's some west wing bullshit.

He's basically untouchable in Utah. It would be interesting if the GOP could piss off Utah enough to make them vote someone else. Maybe not bernie but another mormon protest candidate.

Also Mike Lee will have a bunch of uncomfortable questions he'll have to answer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Kicking Romney out of the GOP really doesn't do anything. MAYBE he caucuses with democrats and throws majority over to schumer, but that's some west wing bullshit.

He's basically untouchable in Utah. It would be interesting if the GOP could piss off Utah enough to make them vote someone else. Maybe not bernie but another mormon protest candidate.

Also Mike Lee will have a bunch of uncomfortable questions he'll have to answer.

they could do one of those "vote on everything but trump" type deals

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Sereri posted:

nah. the captain planet villains cared. they wanted to destroy the environment, it was a goal (in fact one wanted to help, but her "help" was disruptive of the natural world so it became harmful) trump just...doesn't think about it, he doesn't even "not care" because that implies he knows and disregards something. trump just...nothing. I don't believe trump really thinks about things that aren't currently in his sight or he's seen before, I don't think he's capable of abstract thought because of sheer laziness. the incurious whorls that made up bush jr's hosed up mind infest trump's too. people who spend a lot of time nodding while others point to things. "oh" is the extent of trump's knowledge about anything.

you know all those animal intelligent tests about crossing strings and pathfinding abstraction? I think trump would score at about "dog" level. i think if you put two strings on the ground, one tied to a hundred dollar bill and another tied to a dog turd, and then crossed the strings, trump would pull the wrong string 3 times in a row if not more.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

InsertPotPun posted:

nah. the captain planet villains cared. they wanted to destroy the environment, it was a goal (in fact one wanted to help, but her "help" was disruptive of the natural world so it became harmful) trump just...doesn't think about it, he doesn't even "not care" because that implies he knows and disregards something. trump just...nothing. I don't believe trump really thinks about things that aren't currently in his sight or he's seen before, I don't think he's capable of abstract thought because of sheer laziness. the incurious whorls that made up bush jr's hosed up mind infest trump's too. people who spend a lot of time nodding while others point to things. "oh" is the extent of trump's knowledge about anything.

you know all those animal intelligent tests about crossing strings and pathfinding abstraction? I think trump would score at about "dog" level. i think if you put two strings on the ground, one tied to a hundred dollar bill and another tied to a dog turd, and then crossed the strings, trump would pull the wrong string 3 times in a row if not more.

I think a big difference between W and Trump is that W was not bright but never pretended to be. He was a man that was acutely aware of his frailties. He tried to surround himself with people smarter than him. Granted this also allowed him to get taken advantage of mostly because he was not bright enough to realize he was until likely it was too late.

Trump on the other hand likely has a higher intelligence than W but between pure laziness, not being curious at all and narcissism he squanders all of that. Trump surrounds himself with people that do not disrupt his delusions and are loyal to him.

For example they are both failsons that failed upward in life but you can tell that W at least tried to make an effort to accomplish and learn things as he failed up. Trump on the other hand did nothing and thinks that he actually accomplished so much while being handed it.

I have zero love for W as a President but he as a person is much more grounded and self aware than Trump.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

W was stupid, but not as stupid as the persona he projected. A good example is his "can't get fooled again" gaffe. He realized that he was about to say "shame on me" directly into a microphone, which would have been cut and used against him, so he made up some nonsense on the spot that was in line with his bumbling idiot persona. So that was quick and clever of him, but if he was actually smart, he wouldn't have put himself in the situation to begin with.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Djarum posted:

I have zero love for W as a President but he as a person is much more grounded and self aware than Trump.

It probably helps staying grounded that his mate was the same age and they had been married for over two decades then. Trump has never had a loving, understanding, equal companion who can put him in his place.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Nenonen posted:

It probably helps staying grounded that his mate was the same age and they had been married for over two decades then. Trump has never had a loving, understanding, equal companion who can put him in his place.

I think I’d rather enjoy seeing Melania yelling at trump to clean the kitchen or whatever

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Inferior Third Season posted:

W was stupid, but not as stupid as the persona he projected. A good example is his "can't get fooled again" gaffe. He realized that he was about to say "shame on me" directly into a microphone, which would have been cut and used against him, so he made up some nonsense on the spot that was in line with his bumbling idiot persona. So that was quick and clever of him, but if he was actually smart, he wouldn't have put himself in the situation to begin with.

This seems extremely unlikely. He couldn't remember the saying, something that happens with humans from time to time.

Why would "shame on me" be worse than the nonsense he acutally said and that was cut and used against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

:rip: