Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

This week:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1219416766599847936

The OP from before the hearings posted:

Since there's going to be literally months more of this poo poo coming up, here's a thread for the impeachment investigation, the future impeachment trial, and the associated public hearings.

:siren:During hearings, TVIVing is allowed itt:siren:

THE OVERVIEW AS OF MID-NOVEMBER:
  • Rudy and the Gang conspire to get the U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, removed from her position, because she doesn't support their corrupt goals
  • The same conspirators spend months pressuring Ukraine to start investigating Hunter Biden for his position on the board of Burisma in order to help Trump in 2020
  • They tell the Ukrainians that any meeting with Trump won't happen until they announce an investigation into Biden, and, when that doesn't happen, they cut off the aid package that Congress approved (meant to send them Javelin systems to use in their ongoing war against Russia) and won't release it until they announce investigations
  • Trump has the call with Zelensky where he demands investigation of Burisma
  • The whistleblower learns of this call, reports it, and Congress finds out
  • Only when Congress announces it knows about this and is investigating is the aid to Ukraine finally released

THE CONSPIRATORS:

Rudy Giuliani at the James J. Fox cigar bar in London, with Lev Parnas, left, Igor Fruman, speaking on the phone, and a third associate.

Rudy Giuliani, Lev Parnas, and Igor Furman: conducted a shadow campaign to oust U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, then to force Ukraine to investigate Hunter Biden, in return for meetings with Trump and release of military aid. Parnas and Furman also, coincidentally, happen to work for

Dmytro Firtash: a prominent Russian-backed Ukrainian oligarch in exile, Firtash very successfully looted the country in the Yuschenko and Yanukovych administrations. You might remember his name because of his other employee, Paul Manafort. He’s currently stuck in Austria, because he’s fighting extradition to the United States for completely unrelated corruption charges (for taking tens of millions in bribes for a titanium deal) in Chicago.

There’s too much related to him to unpack here but, suffice to say, he has a huge grudge against the US-backed interests that have really screwed over his looting. The initial campaign against Yovanovitch appears to have been bankrolled by him, since she represented the kind of anti-corruption agenda that is directly harmful to his interests, and much of the anti-Biden campaign also appears to come from him as well (since Biden also hosed him over).

Firtash is represented by these people:

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1194774142790381573

Victoria Toensing and Joe DiGenova are a married couple of Florida attorneys who, at one point, Trump was adding to his Mueller legal team. Since then, they spend their time on Fox News, and have been a key intermediary for disinformation to pass between Firtash and the far-right media sphere, most prominently, their other “client”

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1194572039564222464

John Solomon, a disgraced reporter for The Hill (who once was somewhat legit, and put out so much bullshit that The Hill reclassified him as “opinion”), Solomon has been the main way that their media campaign has filtered into the American far-right. His almost universally-untrue stories have directly driven the campaign to oust Yovanovitch and investigate Hunter Biden, and his name has already come up many times in depositions.

OTHER CONSPIRACIES:

Rudy Giuliani, Rick Perry, and Gordon Sondland: appear to have been working to get Texas businessmen that fund Rick Perry installed on the board of Ukraine’s state-owned gas company, Naftogaz. It's unclear whether this will end up Actually Mattering, but the Southern District of New York looks to be investigating Rudy for it

THE WITNESSES:

11/13: William Taylor and George Kent
already testified publicly, with the biggest reveal being that on July 26, Trump called Gordon Sondland and asked about “the investigations” in front of one of Taylor’s aides, undermining many stupid lies Sondland has already told under oath. Here’s a summary of their testimony.

11/15: Marie Yovanovitch
the target of the conspiracy lead by Giuliani, who was ousted from her post (but still technically works for State). Her testimony is here

11/19 (AM): Jennifer Williams, Alexander Vindman
Williams: a State department official assigned to Pence’s national security advisor, Keith Kellogg, who was on the call between Trump and Zelensky.
Vindman: Director for European Affairs on the National Security Council, Army officer, star witness. Heard the call between Trump and Zelensky and immediately reported it to NSC lawyers.

11/19 (PM): Kurt Volker, Tim Morrison
Volker: Special Envoy to Ukraine.
Morrison: top advisor for Russian/EU affairs on the NSC until he stepped down the day before he was deposed; was Fiona Hill’s replacement when she left; Bolton aide. Was on the call and asked NSC lawyers to investigate as well.

11/20 (AM): Gordon Sondland
Ambassador to the EU. Center of the conspiracy. Already had to amend his testimony once because he lied to minimize his involvement, will likely have to amend it many more times to avoid future perjury charges.

11/20 (PM): Laura Cooper, David Hale
Cooper: Deputy assistant secretary of defense for Russia/Ukraine/Eurasian affairs
Hale: Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs. A political appointee of Trump’s involved in the firing of Yovanovitch.

11/21: Fiona Hill, David Holmes
Hill: Former NSC senior staffer that worked for Bolton.
Holmes: career diplomat in the Ukraine embassy; overheard conversation between Trump and Sondland that confirmed his goal was to investigate Biden

Previous titles:
Impeachment Thread: Donald Trump in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing

please try to post about the impeachment of Donald J Trump in this thread, not the primaries, nor the 2020 election, thank you in advance

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
C-SPAN has a neat impeachment sub-page already set up for streams: https://www.c-span.org/impeachment/

this is the page for the next hearing (Vindman+Williams), starts 8am EST https://www.c-span.org/video/?466376-1/impeachment-hearing-lt-col-vindman-vice-president-pence-aide

handy schedule on WAPO: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/impeachment-calendar/

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 18, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
here's hoping Trump has another panic attack watching it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Read my lips: No Majority.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so will Sondland flip or keep lying for daddy?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

So the guy who overheard Sondland's call with Trump has just been officially added:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1196539705992601601

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

eke out posted:

So the guy who overheard Sondland's call with Trump has just been officially added:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1196539705992601601

Which means Sondland has to decide on Tuesday night if he's going to change his story (and beg forgiveness for lying to Congress) or hope that Holmes isn't found credible on Thursday - and that things he thinks are inconsequential to lie about don't cause Holmes to realize that something he thought was inconsequential was actually important.

aughhhhh it was bad enough having a hearing start at 8 Central, but 7 instead of 8? I'll have to subject both my kids to it (or make my husband drive them, hmmmmmm....)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1196561847438204928
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1196563063362785282

it seems like Eisenberg is in the throw-Sondland-under-the-bus faction, and Sondland is in the throw-Eisenberg-under-the-bus faction

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 19, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

here's hoping Trump has another panic attack watching it

I'm looking forward to reading the sordid semi-reliable details about Trump's unannounced hospital visit the next time one of his former minions drops a tell all memoir.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thread on the letter Ron Johnson put out today about what he knew :

https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1196565580674936833
https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1196569375333109760

(he really should be recused from any trial but lol of course that'll never happen)

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 19, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

"Since there's going to be literally months more of this poo poo..."

Thanks for the thread! Hoping to the random orbs of the Universe that both the orange fecal smear and the rest of us live long enough to see it get hit by one of those tiny orbs only after a conviction in the Senate.

Also hoping thread-god eke also posts news links both here and in USPOL, at least when hearings aren't in session. :)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Otteration posted:

Thanks for the thread! Hoping to the random orbs of the Universe that both the orange fecal smear and the rest of us live long enough to see it get hit by one of those tiny orbs only after a conviction in the Senate.

Also hoping thread-god eke also posts news links both here and in USPOL, at least when hearings aren't in session. :)

yeah ideally, outside of hearings, this thread won't be as crazy and will have a more direct stream of news about the specific topic

it'll take some of the TVIV burden off USPOL, but hopefully also work as a more specialized spot for people who don't want scroll through five pages of chik-fil-a discussion to see what impeachment news broke

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Gazis/status/1196598564731924482

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1196614308068806657

Hannity seems a little worried that all these people are testifying about how US foreign policy runs through him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

here's the preview of Vindman's testimony today

https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1196625849602248707

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Scorecard! Scorecard! Can’t tell who’s who at the impeachment without a scorecard!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Sweaty Jim Jordan ranting at a man dressed in his service uniform should be a good visual

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
And we are underway.

Should be interesting to watch Republicans question the integrity of a highly respected and decorated veteran in full uniform.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Work with Judy

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

To be fair, these hearings would be more interesting with Judge Judy presiding.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What is the deal with the "Schiff knows the identity of the whisteblower" sign that the Republicans keep trotting out?

Does he actually know or not?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ehud posted:

What is the deal with the "Schiff knows the identity of the whisteblower" sign that the Republicans keep trotting out?

I don't think he does, but that's a major right wing talking point to attempt to discredit the investigation.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ehud posted:

He says he doesn't, and nobody has proven they've met.

I love that after Republicans used their time so well in the last hearing to read in headlines, Nunes is now using his opening statements to.... read in headlines. And call news organizations puppets. (No puppet, no puppet, you're the puppet.)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ehud posted:

nah the whistleblowers attorneys at one point reached out to HPSCI, but were told to go through the IG process instead, which they did. no indication they did anything except briefly talk to staffers while keeping their client anonymous (which of course they would do)

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1196796440326090754

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 19, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hate Devin Nunes so goddamn much.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

eke out posted:

nah the whistleblowers attorneys at one point reached out to HPSCI, but were told to go through the IG process instead, which they did. no indication they did anything except briefly talk to staffers while keeping their client anonymous (which of course they would do)

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1196796440326090754

I figured it was something like that. Thanks!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

extremely strong "i wish i was anywhere but here" energy from today's witnesses

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I know gently caress all about military code, but is he required to show up in uniform for these things? All the photos I have seen of him has been in full uniform.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

refleks posted:

I know gently caress all about military code, but is he required to show up in uniform for these things? All the photos I have seen of him has been in full uniform.

Maybe he's one of those military people that doesn't own any other clothes?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

refleks posted:

yeah it's protocol for active duty military to wear dress uniforms when going before congress

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

refleks posted:

That's actually his skin. He's naked.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"It was with great pride that I swore an oath to defend the Constitution, administered by a personal hero, former secretary of state Condoleeza Rice" == I am not a Democrat

(At least, I think that's why Ms. Williams included that in her opening statement; she knows she's been maligned as a Democrat Puppet.)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

eke out posted:

extremely strong "i wish i was anywhere but here" energy from today's witnesses

I'd be uncomfortable too if the Army was monitoring my security and prepared to move me and family following the testimony.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

refleks posted:

I'm not sure if it's required, but I'd wear my uniform if I was him. They're almost certainly going to try and smear his name today. Let them deal with the optics of doing so to a purple heart recipient sitting there in uniform.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Williams is basically providing cover for Pence today, then? Ok.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wylie posted:

Williams is basically providing cover for Pence today, then? Ok.

if she was trying to cover i think she'd say more than 'I don't know if he read what I gave him about the call with Zelensky'

at least, i think confirming that Pence probably should have known about it, but did his best to not know, doesn't count as covering

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I think it would be worth adding a blurb to the very good first post about the Bidens / Burisma explaining the underlying conspiracy theory and why it is bonkers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ehud posted:

I'm not sure if it's required, but I'd wear my uniform if I was him. They're almost certainly going to try and smear his name today. Let them deal with the optics of doing so to a purple heart recipient sitting there in uniform.

When they had friendlier servicemen who were willing to hide stuff they went all in on spending their time talking about their service and thanking them, so it would look bad as a contrast too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eviltastic posted:

I think it would be worth adding a blurb to the very good first post about the Bidens / Burisma explaining the underlying conspiracy theory and why it is bonkers.

this is a good idea, i'll do it sometime later