Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This Vindman testimony should be damning but lol nothing matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
He's straight up calling out the President on the personal attacks.

Didn't expect that.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
The end of Vindman's statement was some powerful stuff.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

drat. It’s going to be extra sad when he gets killed now

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Not sure I've heard about the September 13 call. Anyone know what's up with that?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Vindman will absolutely be played by Beck Bennett on SNL. The resemblance is uncanny.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Interesting; I didn't expect Williams's lawyer to prevent her from answering "did anything happen on the call that is relevant to our inquiry", but her expression when she said "I would be very happy to testify in a classified session" suggests there's definitely something in her mind.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for those not able to watch live, here's Rupar's thread, he generally updates steadily with video clips

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1196802949919465473

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Godfather 2 led me to believe this would be much more interesting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh i didn't know Williams also confirmed that the call said "Burisma" and not "the company" like the transcript said

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Interesting; I didn't expect Williams's lawyer to prevent her from answering "did anything happen on the call that is relevant to our inquiry", but her expression when she said "I would be very happy to testify in a classified session" suggests there's definitely something in her mind.

i hadn't heard anything about this either, here's what looks to be the relevant stuff she said previously

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1196805708056014848

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

eke out posted:

oh i didn't know Williams also confirmed that the call said "Burisma" and not "the company" like the transcript said

His speculation suggests that it was not intentionally omitted from the "transcript".

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Godfather 2 led me to believe this would be much more interesting.

So what you're saying is that this testimony is ... lacking pizzazz?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

His speculation suggests that it was not intentionally omitted from the "transcript".

But when Vindman reported what company had been said, rather than just 'the company', his correction wasn't made.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I can't believe Trump might be taken down because he believed a made up conspiracy theory about a potential political opponent who might not even win the goddamn primary.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
whats castor going for with this?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats castor going for with this?

This is Goldman, the Dems' counsel, and he's trying to illustrate that nobody in the government would have suggested that Trump ask Zelenskyy about, or ask him for, anything that Trump did ask about/for.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
TIL Ukrainian is a language.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zonohedron posted:

This is Goldman, the Dems' counsel, and he's trying to illustrate that nobody in the government would have suggested that Trump ask Zelenskyy about, or ask him for, anything that Trump did ask about/for.

yeah, the whole line of attack Republicans will be leading with is like "This is just some bureaucrat that hates Trump and was mad about his foreign policy."

the point is, what Trump was asking for has nothing to do with our foreign policy, and if he did care about corruption, he'd be asking about MUCH bigger corrupt entities in Ukraine that our official policy IS actually worried about

like, for instance, the oligarch that has been behind Zelensky's rise to power, who's stolen a ludicrous amount of money and we would very much like Zelensky to distance himself from and hold accountable

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Having everything laid out like this is pretty damning. Vindman really isn’t holding back.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He just drank water. That means he's lying!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1196808698779328513

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He just drank water. That means he's lying!

He has THREE water bottles in front of him!!!

Republicans have become the aliens from Signs.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
is it just me or is this stuff out of vindman way more damning than the already very damning stuff we've heard

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

1glitch0 posted:

TIL Ukrainian is a language.

It's very Russian-like, but definitely distinct from Russian. They both use the Cyrillic alphabet.

The Soviet Union tried very hard to eliminate it during their rule, schools in Ukraine were exclusively held in Russian for a good long time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Strange Poon posted:

is it just me or is this stuff out of vindman way more damning than the already very damning stuff we've heard

he's the first person to testify that heard the call live, speaks both languages used fluently, and immediately thought it was hosed

so yeah

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You could see his hands shaking during opening statement. I can't imagine the fear they must feel

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Wylie posted:

It's very Russian-like, but definitely distinct from Russian. They both use the Cyrillic alphabet.

The Soviet Union tried very hard to eliminate it during their rule, schools in Ukraine were exclusively held in Russian for a good long time.

Distinct like Spanish and French, or like Spanish-in-Spain and Spanish-in-Argentina?

Strange Poon posted:

Well, yes, of course it is, we've moved from "I heard about this, and it sounded hinky" to "Someone told me about this, and I was suspicious" to today, "I was there for that, and :yikes:"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Vindman seems like not the typical military shithead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

his demeanor really undercuts the attacks that he's like some brash, insubordinate nevertrumper who had poor judgment

like if nothing else, he seems extremely thoughtful and reserved

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Distinct like Spanish and French, or like Spanish-in-Spain and Spanish-in-Argentina?
I imagine the closest approximation would be Spain-Spanish and Catalan.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

zonohedron posted:

Well, yes, of course it is, we've moved from "I heard about this, and it sounded hinky" to "Someone told me about this, and I was suspicious" to today, "I was there for that, and :yikes:"

It's more like French and Spanish. They use the same alphabet for the most part (there are some letter differences), but it isn't mutually intelligible. Many Ukrainians speak Russian though, especially in border areas and cities. It's less prevalent in smaller towns and the countryside.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

eke out posted:

his demeanor really undercuts the attacks that he's like some brash, insubordinate nevertrumper who had poor judgment

And scared as hell. "It's not... it's not entirely accurate but... but I'm not sure I'd describe it as false..."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wylie posted:

The amount of things I don't know surprises me ever day.

It's interesting to see relatively normal people who are professionals having to deal with Donald loving Trump as president.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

it's obvious vindman is rattled. he looks really nervous but not in a way that he is being sketchy

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Strange Poon posted:

it's obvious vindman is rattled. he looks really nervous but not in a way that he is being sketchy

I don’t know if he has family but considering Dr. Ford and what she had to do with the threats, it’s probably horrifying what threats are coming at him and what to worry about after this is all over still.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sondland directly talking about investigations into "the bidens, burisma, and 2016" is one of the key events here

bobjr posted:

I don’t know if he has family but considering Dr. Ford and what she had to do with the threats, it’s probably horrifying what threats are coming at him and what to worry about after this is all over still.

there was reporting this morning that the army is considering moving his family to a base to protect them, so yeah, it's safe to say they're getting a lot of threats

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
This lawyer is really good at questioning.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

zonohedron posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language It's descended from Ruthenian, so closer to Lithuanian than Russian I think. They're both East Slavic so more like Spanish and Portuguese I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

This lawyer is really good at questioning.

Yeah and it's gonna get even more clear in a few minutes when that squinting dipshit Castor takes over...

refleks fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 19, 2019