Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

refleks posted:

Yeah and it's gonna get even more clear in a few minutes when that squinting dipshit Castro takes over...

requesting name change to "Squinting Dipshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This lawyer is really good at questioning.

A stark contrast to the republican counsel, Toby from The Office

he is the highlight of each hearing for me

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

TGLT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language It's descended from Ruthenian, so closer to Lithuanian than Russian I think. They're both East Slavic so more like Spanish and Portuguese I guess?

I‘be had a lot of luck learning the Russian language but I don’t know how anybody reads acrylic.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Who is the lawyer for Williams? Someone from WH or State or someone she hired herself?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

refleks posted:

Yeah and it's gonna get even more clear in a few minutes when that squinting dipshit Castro takes over...

Castor, Castro is the Democratic representative whose twin is running for president.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Strange Poon posted:

it's obvious vindman is rattled. he looks really nervous but not in a way that he is being sketchy

It's telling how normal people look when testifying in front of congress as opposed to sociopaths like Jeff Sessions testifying who just lies without any concern while smirking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

refleks posted:

Who is the lawyer for Williams? Someone from WH or State or someone she hired herself?

everyone's only got private lawyers, no one has counsel from the government (government lawyers are not allowed in the private depositions for sure, and i think wouldn't be allowed here either)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Nunes: Let's talk about the Bidens

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Nunes: "are you aware of (insane conspiracy theory)????"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Castor, Castro is the Democratic representative whose twin is running for president.

Yeah edited, because that's unfair to Castro. He is the dipshit with a lovely beard.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I cannot imagine how Nunes thinks this line of questioning is useful at all.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

zonohedron posted:

Distinct like Spanish and French, or like Spanish-in-Spain and Spanish-in-Argentina?

The person who said Spanish and Portuguese was the most correct, I think. If you know Russian, a lot of Ukrainian will make at least a little sense to you.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"Did you know about this thing?" "I wasn't working on ukraine policy" "How about this other thing" "Uh I wasn't working on Ukraine policy" "WELL WHAT ABOUT THIS" "uh no"

oh good he's going to ask the exact same questions of Vindman now!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I can't post screencaps because I'm at an Ikea but I am listening on my earbuds

I suspect I'm the only person listening to the impeachment hearings while shopping for cheap Swedish crap, but maybe I'll find a buddy!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ehud posted:

A stark contrast to the republican counsel, Toby from The Office

he is the highlight of each hearing for me

I think he looks exactly like the lawyer from Always Sunny, except totally broken. In fact SNL should get Brian Unger to play the republican counsel.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The biden thing is not sticking no matter how hard GOP tries

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

What's the catch with these questions?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vindman doing a good job with the core right thing to do, not accepting that facts not in evidence are true just because the questioner states them

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
when I loaded up the C-Span stream the thumbnail was Vindman giving Nunes a very "oh it's this clown" look.

Given that Nunes has decided to continue on with his talking points despite the facts given, it seems apt.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

refleks posted:

Given that it's Nunes, I think he might think one of them would have said yes, or might laugh, or might look suspicious as they said no; also, even if they say no, now he can say that Vindman "denied knowing" or whatever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

here comes the "trying to out the whistleblower" part

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also, seriously, what is up with these lovely suits they all wear.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

refleks posted:

The only thing I can think is Nunes is trying to do a, "Well actually, it was good to ask Ukraine to investigate the Bidens! Williams and Vindman only thought it was alarming when they heard the call because they didn't realize how corrupt the Bidens' dealings with Ukraine actually were!"

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Lol, are you the leaks to the liberal media!?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

refleks posted:

"These so-called 'experts' on Ukraine don't seem to know poo poo about all these completely real facts" maybe?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They are super trying to out whistleblower right now

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
DO YOU KNOW WHO DID IT???

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Repeating the question isn't going to get you a different answer, Devin.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nunes sounds like an incredibly boring robot.

And now he's stuck in a loop.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

AHAHAHAH "Do you know anyone who's talked to the press about the July 25th call?"
"Well, we have a NSC press shop...?"

Edit: "No, I mean, do you know any individual?"
"Thank you, Ranking Member, for clarifying. I do not."

How do you say "bless your heart" in Ukrainian?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Uh, no I don't know

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao... gently caress you nunes

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

literally not even trying to defend trump anymore

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Did you at any time 'desktop drop' one of your colleagues?"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I can now recognize the voices of all the major players right off the bat without looking up. Listening on the radio my husband asks me to identify folks speaking for him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This almost feels like Nunes doesn't have enough questions so he's trying to run out the clock lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nunes is always so easy to tell, with his robot voice

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They really want the whistleblower to get hurt/killed

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

It's more like French and Spanish. They use the same alphabet for the most part (there are some letter differences), but it isn't mutually intelligible. Many Ukrainians speak Russian though, especially in border areas and cities. It's less prevalent in smaller towns and the countryside.

Pretty spot on. The urban crowds speak Russian moreso than Ukrainian, and a lot of business is done in Russian, much like English is used in a lot of places as a common language. If you speak only one or the other, you won't understand the other language. My fiance and her family all speak Russian over Ukrainian (but they can putz through a Ukrainian conversation if needed) and they're from Odessa, which isn't near the Russian border.

The TV show Servant of the People which propelled Zelensky into the presidency is filmed in Russian, for instance. Also, it's on Netflix and kinda funny tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Shocked awe through the audience at 'you can't expose the whistleblower'

Lol gently caress you repubs. Good on Schiff.