Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

as a reminder trump has admitted before if he died his wife would be entirely unmoved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ignoranus posted:

Is anyone else watching Trump's [strike]pep rally[/strike] address this afternoon? I keep having to pause to get some work done. I don't know why I'm sitting through this awful thing.

Trump is being oddly magnanimous. Don't get me wrong, he's still being lovely, but he is giving a lot of people praise. Terrible people, but people who aren't him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

When Trump says Boom Boom Boom
you say Bam Bam Bam
no pause in between
c'mon let's jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo8UoZtwuMc

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

1glitch0 posted:

Trump is being oddly magnanimous. Don't get me wrong, he's still being lovely, but he is giving a lot of people praise. Terrible people, but people who aren't him.

Yeah, there are compliments for the people who supported him mixed in among the admitting to obstructing Comey, bragging about packing the courts and lying about the "transcript" of the call.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ignoranus posted:

Yeah, there are compliments for the people who supported him mixed in among the admitting to obstructing Comey, bragging about packing the courts and lying about the "transcript" of the call.

And standing ovations for fellow treasonous pricks like Devin Nunes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, we knew getting acquitted would embolden him and lead to more crimes, but did anyone expect it would happen in less than 24 hours?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ignoranus posted:

Is anyone else watching Trump's [strike]pep rally[/strike] address this afternoon? I keep having to pause to get some work done. I don't know why I'm sitting through this awful thing.

He said Mitt doesn't believe in God
He said Nancy lies about praying
And then said the plural of apprentice is "apprenti"

That's about as far as I could get before turning it off

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

haveblue posted:

Well, we knew getting acquitted would embolden him and lead to more crimes, but did anyone expect it would happen in less than 24 hours?

It happened once already after the Muller report was scotched? No surprises here. I mean it was one of the articles of impeachment.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
lol CNN saying the speech was disturbing and was more like something someone would tell their therapist in private and I really agree.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

1glitch0 posted:

lol CNN saying the speech was disturbing and was more like something someone would tell their therapist in private and I really agree.

yeah, cnn has been pretty decent with calling the insanity out of late.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Unsure if this is because CNN actually realizes Trump is an existential threat to all of humanity, or if because everything has slid so far rightward that saying "this is messed up" is the center now.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Good input, let's get Rick Santorum's take on that...

I hate CNN

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This comes to mind from the night they voted for no witnesses.
https://youtu.be/BOooUVVh1K8

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Unsure if this is because CNN actually realizes Trump is an existential threat to all of humanity, or if because everything has slid so far rightward that saying "this is messed up" is the center now.

its probably both mixed with he has attacked CNN reporters directly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

haveblue posted:

Yes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That's almost scarier.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

That's almost scarier.

probably. i am ok with it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. i am ok with it.

I'm ok with it if it leads to a permanent change...I sorta doubt it will.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Framboise posted:

This comes to mind from the night they voted for no witnesses.
https://youtu.be/BOooUVVh1K8

I like Chris Cuomo, I like him better than Tapper but I guess I only get him in bite sized chunks like this. He might actually be bad.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

COOL CORN posted:

He said Mitt doesn't believe in God
He said Nancy lies about praying
And then said the plural of apprentice is "apprenti"

That's about as far as I could get before turning it off

Doesn't this crowd (D&D, that is) usually makes lots of fun of Mormans in general, and Mitt specifically? Seems odd that he, and his (weird) religious beliefs would all of a sudden be in favor with the left. I'm so old that I remember when Mitt was double Hitler and gonna put y'all back in chains

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

youre dick posted:

Doesn't this crowd (D&D, that is) usually makes lots of fun of Mormans in general, and Mitt specifically? Seems odd that he, and his (weird) religious beliefs would all of a sudden be in favor with the left. I'm so old that I remember when Mitt was double Hitler and gonna put y'all back in chains

*posting from servitude in the magic underwear sweatshop factory

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

youre dick posted:

You can acknowledge someone for being the only one of their kind to do the right thing without agreeing with their policies or even liking them as a person but that requires the ability to not be stuck in binary thinking mindsets where you are only ever either in :effort: or :killing: mode and nowhere in between.

Obviously Mitt is still GOP and a filthy venture capitalist and that shouldn't be ignored and says a lot about him, but he also got up in front of his peers and the entire nation and said that the president of his party is not only a liar and a criminal, but guilty of one of the most flagrant abuses of power that a president could commit. That is not an insignificant thing and to ignore that as well that would be disingenuous, in my opinion.

A person can be lovely and still do the right thing without it being an instant redemption.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

You can acknowledge someone for being the only one of their kind to do the right thing without agreeing with their policies or even liking them as a person but that requires the ability to not be stuck in binary thinking mindsets where you are only ever either in :effort: or :killing: mode and nowhere in between.

Obviously Mitt is still GOP and a filthy venture capitalist and that shouldn't be ignored and says a lot about him, but he also got up in front of his peers and the entire nation and said that the president of his party is not only a liar and a criminal, but guilty of one of the most flagrant abuses of power that a president could commit. That is not an insignificant thing and to ignore that as well that would be disingenuous, in my opinion.

A person can be lovely and still do the right thing without it being an instant redemption.

yeah. this. romney sucks and has done bad ghoulish things(vilerat smirk, lovely ghoul policies and etc) i just weirdly feel bad for him. i think he honestly does believe in all the "party of morality/doing the right thing/personal responsibility" so he loving did the right thing and now all these ghouls show there true colors or are moral cowards. like gently caress him and etc but id be loving heartbroken if that happened to me.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Framboise posted:

Nah, it was just a bunch of high minded rhetoric to hide the fact that he's still butthurt at getting trolled by Trump over the SoS job. You get that, right?

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

DandyLion posted:

*posting from servitude in the magic underwear sweatshop factory

i wish!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Is there video of Trump's admission that firing Comey led to him surviving impeachment?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This has been fun, can't wait to see you guys in the 2nd impeachment thread

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Bible posted:

Is there video of Trump's admission that firing Comey led to him surviving impeachment?

yeah. its been on cnn and such all day.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. this. romney sucks and has done bad ghoulish things(vilerat smirk, lovely ghoul policies and etc) i just weirdly feel bad for him. i think he honestly does believe in all the "party of morality/doing the right thing/personal responsibility" so he loving did the right thing and now all these ghouls show there true colors or are moral cowards. like gently caress him and etc but id be loving heartbroken if that happened to me.

Romney is like a much dumber, Mormon version of Sir Thomas More and I respect him for showing that he does have some kind of conscience.

I would also also feel bad if he met the same end, with his head being separated from the rest of his body.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

youre dick posted:

I mean, a few things. Romney is still the same right-wing vulture capitalist that grinned at the news of the Benghazi deaths, but that still compares favorably with the people who were just as bad as him in 2012 but today are openly embracing lawless authoritarianism and open white nationalism at Trump's feet. So it's one of those "don't punish the behaviors you want to see" things.

Mormons as a whole are still religious right and have a lot of problems, but they haven't so uniformly followed Evangelical Catholics and Protestants into christian dominionism or nativism, even if it's just because they remember they're also on the list if it goes that way. They've even rolled back some of their anti-gay policies while other churches are cracking down. It's not that they're loved allies now, but they're just no longer "the main Christian sect lefties love to gripe about" like they were ten years ago. For that matter, the left and the fedora-tippers largely parting ways means "hurrr religious clothing" doesn't get the laughs it used to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

I mean, a few things. Romney is still the same right-wing vulture capitalist that grinned at the news of the Benghazi deaths, but that still compares favorably with the people who were just as bad as him in 2012 but today are openly embracing lawless authoritarianism and open white nationalism at Trump's feet. So it's one of those "don't punish the behaviors you want to see" things.

Mormons as a whole are still religious right and have a lot of problems, but they haven't so uniformly followed Evangelical Catholics and Protestants into christian dominionism or nativism, even if it's just because they remember they're also on the list if it goes that way. They've even rolled back some of their anti-gay policies while other churches are cracking down. It's not that they're loved allies now, but they're just no longer "the main Christian sect lefties love to gripe about" like they were ten years ago. For that matter, the left and the fedora-tippers largely parting ways means "hurrr religious clothing" doesn't get the laughs it used to.

pretty much. the LPOTL episode was facinating on them and i agree with their point that they will eventually drop the anti gay poo poo because they have always done that kinda poo poo to survive. I find religion fascinating and LDS has always interested me in a cultural/historic sense. also i agree. its less that Romney changed but more the party has openly accepted insanity and horrible poo poo with no masks or euphemisms. basically romney gets to be like his dad.

Ollu posted:

Romney is like a much dumber, Mormon version of Sir Thomas More and I respect him for showing that he does have some kind of conscience.

I would also also feel bad if he met the same end, with his head being separated from the rest of his body.

yeah. he will probably be remembered in history as in one of those profiles in courage type deals where he is flawed man who did the right thing when it mattered and will now be hosed over for it because the people he trusted are either moral cowards or gross parasites.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 6, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have lived nearly my entire life in the Mormon Corridor. They are a very closed group of people that would prefer to never interact with anyone outside their church and they will do things like straight-up ask you if you go to church or find out eventually in things like job interviews. They're a god damned mafia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That speech today was...uh...

That sure was something. I got caught listening to what little I could stomach and I just...ugh.

Who LIKES this poo poo? I swear to god I tried. I REALLY tried. I was stuck between commercials on a few radio stations and said "OK. Let's listen to this. then" 40% of this country hears that and goes "yep, this is what a REAL president sounds like, god dammit!" and all I heard was meandering gibberish. Even by Trump standards this thing made no sense.

I honestly feel like I have no place in this society and don't know where to start with this. Living in NE Florida isn't helping me any since I'm largely in CHUD country but loving my god.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

A good portion of this country is really that dumb. They don’t and will never understand politics and only understand the world around them in their literal bubble - and surprise, surprise, they’re surrounded by even more idiots.

Present them with anything even resembling a complex situation with nuance and they have a “my brain hurts!” moment, tune it out and move on with their mundane lives.

Or they just instantly distrust anyone that comes off as more educated than they are and write them off. Take your pick.

Majin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

That sure was something. I got caught listening to what little I could stomach and I just...ugh.

Who LIKES this poo poo? I swear to god I tried. I REALLY tried. I was stuck between commercials on a few radio stations and said "OK. Let's listen to this. then" 40% of this country hears that and goes "yep, this is what a REAL president sounds like, god dammit!" and all I heard was meandering gibberish. Even by Trump standards this thing made no sense.

I honestly feel like I have no place in this society and don't know where to start with this. Living in NE Florida isn't helping me any since I'm largely in CHUD country but loving my god.

Half the country has convinced themselves that every time Trump opens his mouth, he owns the libs, and that's all they really care about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

i have no loving clue. i do believe alot of moderates wont vote or will not vote for him though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The trick is his solid base of sycophantic cultists weren't actually listening to his brainworm oral diarrhea. They'll let right wing media pre-digest that diarrhea for them then let Fox hork it into their mouths baby bird style once it's cleaned up and he no longer sounds like the syphilitic dementia patient he is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Half the country has convinced themselves that every time Trump opens his mouth, he owns the libs, and that's all they really care about.

It's also that when he speaks, he speaks with an air of complete, unassailable confidence. People respond to the tone more than they respond to the meaning. If they don't know what esoteric little jibes he's referring to, whether it's a policy maneuver or a bit of celebrity dishing, what people hear is "I'm in control, laugh along with my mean jokes because my opponents are worthy of ridicule". If someone speaks with confidence, their audience instinctively responds on a visceral level, whereas if they speak in uncertainties and try to argue issues on a mental level, it has the opposite effect on a listener who just wants to be given reason to feel secure.

His languid, pseudo-comedian delivery is a soothing balm to people in the same way that a mother's voice is to a baby who does not understand words.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Majin posted:

A good portion of this country is really that dumb. They don’t and will never understand politics and only understand the world around them in their literal bubble - and surprise, surprise, they’re surrounded by even more idiots.

Present them with anything even resembling a complex situation with nuance and they have a “my brain hurts!” moment, tune it out and move on with their mundane lives.

Or they just instantly distrust anyone that comes off as more educated than they are and write them off. Take your pick.

I just saw a Facebook post from an old high school classmate that said "Why can't Trump fire Pelosi? If any of us acted like she did to her boss we'd lose our jobs!", all the comments were in agreement with her.

So yeah, that's the kind of dumb we are dealing with in the electorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Popete posted:

I just saw a Facebook post from an old high school classmate that said "Why can't Trump fire Pelosi? If any of us acted like she did to her boss we'd lose our jobs!", all the comments were in agreement with her.

So yeah, that's the kind of dumb we are dealing with in the electorate.

Leave Facebook and never go back, it's irredeemable.