Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Seems like Nunes has given up on life and just wants this over with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahahaha holy poo poo, Vindman correcting Nunes to address him by his full title

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao the rank

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They call me Lieutenant Colonel Vindman!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

hahahaha holy poo poo, Vindman correcting Nunes to address him by his full title

That was so good

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

“Ranking Member, it’s Lt. Col. Vindman, please.”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"Are you besties with the whistleblower? Do you know who he is? Is he in your pocket right now?"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'Answer the question or plead the fifth'

*Lawyer steps in, smacks Nunes down*

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol like Nunes actually cares about subpoenas now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I really like Vindman, seems like he has good character

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is exactly what happened in Vindman's deposition by the way, and they threw this exact same fit

Volkov, btw, did a really good job in the depo and has been restrained so far, but repeatedly owned republicans in that transcript

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Shocked awe through the audience at 'you can't expose the whistleblower'

Lol gently caress you repubs. Good on Schiff.

And immediately thereafter Nunes asked, "You testified that you did not know the whistleblower, correct?"

"I've been advised not to discuss members of the intelligence community. I am following the advice of my counsel and the chairman of the committee."

Nunes: "You can plead the fifth, but you're here to answer questions!!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Daddy Suit Castro

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And now the only person here who can make Nunes look smart, Castor.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Vindman's lawyer looks exactly like Dennis Prager

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

Vindman's lawyer looks exactly like Dennis Prager

unfortunately if i google what prager looks like it'll probably poison my youtube recommendations forever

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
when trying to out the whistleblower did Nunes try and say because Vindman is claiming he doesn't know the whistleblower then he can't say for sure that he doesn't know who the whistleblower isn't? I was very confused by that whole line of questioning lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Strange Poon posted:

when trying to out the whistleblower did Nunes try and say because Vindman is claiming he doesn't know the whistleblower then he can't say for sure that he doesn't know who the whistleblower isn't? I was very confused by that whole line of questioning lol

Yes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

everyone's only got private lawyers, no one has counsel from the government (government lawyers are not allowed in the private depositions for sure, and i think wouldn't be allowed here either)

Little tidbit - there is a specialized insurance that feds can buy that will kick in if the DoJ can't or doesn't want to represent them in an action and will pay for a private lawyer if they need one. It used to be mostly marketed as a way to keep from getting hosed by frivolous lawsuits from the public or against EEOC complaints, but I bet it is quite popular now that people know working anywhere near Trump and Co carries a high probability of needing legal advice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strange Poon posted:

I essentially think Nunes was trying to say "you can't possibly out the whistleblower since you don't know who they are, so just give me some names". Which probably would've led to those people being harassed even if they weren't the whistleblower. So yes.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Strange Poon posted:

The idea is that if he didn’t know the whistleblower he couldn’t possibly put the whistleblower, because that’s how this works

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's me. I'm the whistleblower.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

I essentially think Nunes was trying to say "you can't possibly out the whistleblower since you don't know who they are, so just give me some names". Which probably would've led to those people being harassed even if they weren't the whistleblower. So yes.

nunes also knows who the alleged whistleblower is, so if he could get a witness to say their name he would suddenly start asking a whole hell of a lot of questions about them

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The GOP literally have no new questions, this sounds like the exact same questions posed to Taylor, Kent, and Yovanovich.

Like, I've never seen people so committed to a narrative that is obviously false since Baghdad Bob.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

nunes also knows who the alleged whistleblower is, so if he could get a witness to say their name he would suddenly start asking a whole hell of a lot of questions about them

i think that the guy the far-right is claiming is the whistleblower wouldn't have had a need-to-know about any of this, since he was already taken off the NSC after a previous far-right conspiracy got him removed in like 2017

so, assuming Vindman is telling the literal truth, probably the guy he talked to wasn't the whistleblower. but it'd make it easier to then harass that guy and start piecing together who did

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

The GOP literally have no new questions, this sounds like the exact same questions posed to Taylor, Kent, and Yovanovich.

With the exception that they got asked "you weren't on the call, why are you here?" and these two get asked "you were on the call, who did you tell?", yes. Castor doing his best to make Vindman say that Trump is concerned about corruption was funny, though; the best he could get was a yes to "but the president should be concerned, right?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh good yet another day of having to correct this stupid as gently caress lie of a timeline re: Burisma, Biden, and Bribes.

EDIT: Like, I know visual aids are more the GOP's thing but I wish someone on the D side would just bring in a timeline chart of what actually happened and make it like 10x the size of the GOP posters.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"Was Hunter Biden qualified?" "I don't know him." "You testified you didn't think he was qualified." "Well, I don't know him."

At this point subpoena-ing Hunter Biden would honestly be a relief. I mean for all we know he'd say something like "well I took the Rosetta Stone course on the Ukrainian language and also I have a dozen friends who are also failsons on corporate boards and I used Whatsapp to ask them questions during boring meetings".

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

What the gently caress is this question line about Canada.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'I can't say why the President made the decision not to send the Vice President' masterful

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
CASTOR INTERRUPTING BC HES A GOON amazing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this guy is really bad at this

PlasticAutomaton posted:

that entire line of questioning was just "Well you can't prove that Trump pulled Pence from the Ukraine inauguration to punish Ukraine for not investigating, can you?"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'I can't say why the President made the decision not to send the Vice President' masterful

Yeah seems like Castor maybe hosed up by pursuing that line of questioning. This has got to be Goldman's easiest job.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
How the hell do people remember all this poo poo? If something exploded at my workplace six months after the fact good luck getting me to remember who was in the room when something happened.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is there a second hearing for later today?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

yes; schedule in op

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

How the hell do people remember all this poo poo? If something exploded at my workplace six months after the fact good luck getting me to remember who was in the room when something happened.

they take meticulous notes as part of the job and have agendas reviewed constantly

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So when high school kids get taught how to cross-examine opposing debaters, they're instructed not to ask questions where they don't know the answer; they're not asking because they're curious, they're asking so that the judge (or panel of judges, in finals rounds) hears the answer.

Castor apparently really thought that Pence's staff would think going to Canada was more important and would totally have dropped everything, and he keeps flailing around with followup questions because he's not getting the answers he expected.

Obviously this means that the Republicans need to hire some high schoolers to do this. Probably not a freshman, but a sophomore could probably do it okay.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yup, an evening hearing.Volker and Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

It is standard to prepare for a hearing like this with your lawyer to go over all of the documentary evidence you have to refresh your recollection as best as possible.