Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

Wow this impeachment is really putting the squeeze on Trump folks.

But please continue to complain whenever someone wants to talk about democratic party incompetence and how it relates to the impeachment and its electoral effects.

The Iowa debacle brings into focus an idea that I'd had but couldn't quite put to words. It's that the powers that be in the Democrat party all all in way over their head and chosen for reasons other than competence. This isn't to say that the Republicans are some kind of meritocracy, but they seem to be able to handle the basic blocking and tackling of modern politics in a way that's utterly anathema to anyone capable of rising up in the Democrat party.

To that end, i love Bernard as a candidate, but really hard to imagine him running a competent nationwide campaign. Even more so Biden. Watching Biden get into shoving matches with people who show up at his rallies would be worth the price of admission though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

ManBoyChef posted:

I think the Iowa debacle really helps show that the Democratic party has a lot of really glaringly obvious problems that if we do not address we are just going to keep failing the voters in the party over and over or making them choose between hillary and trump. I for one am sick of the lesser of two evils. One good thing is that progressives are actually starting to win elections even the the DNC and the DCCC are putting their thumb on the scale. I'm pretty sick of the center right part of the party screwing over the left flank. It happens every time. We havent had any real progressive since FDR or Mcgovern (if he had won). I think it is well passed time to actually compromise.

The Gallup poll is pretty much expected. The impeachment is really polarizing an already divided country. There really isn't people that tacitly approve of trump. You either love him or hate him. I for one hate him. I really think this country is up poo poo crick if he gets reelected because he knows he will be unaccountable to anyone.

I'm not a leftist, or even a Democrat, but I agree 100% with what you're saying. It appears that the harder the centrists resist the left in the party, the less capable they seem to be at absolutely everything, from decision making to on the ground strategy execution. Maybe it's Establishment versus Insurgents? That still maps to centrists versus left, but feels more accurate?

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

COOL CORN posted:

He said Mitt doesn't believe in God
He said Nancy lies about praying
And then said the plural of apprentice is "apprenti"

That's about as far as I could get before turning it off

Doesn't this crowd (D&D, that is) usually makes lots of fun of Mormans in general, and Mitt specifically? Seems odd that he, and his (weird) religious beliefs would all of a sudden be in favor with the left. I'm so old that I remember when Mitt was double Hitler and gonna put y'all back in chains

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Framboise posted:

You can acknowledge someone for being the only one of their kind to do the right thing without agreeing with their policies or even liking them as a person but that requires the ability to not be stuck in binary thinking mindsets where you are only ever either in :effort: or :killing: mode and nowhere in between.

Obviously Mitt is still GOP and a filthy venture capitalist and that shouldn't be ignored and says a lot about him, but he also got up in front of his peers and the entire nation and said that the president of his party is not only a liar and a criminal, but guilty of one of the most flagrant abuses of power that a president could commit. That is not an insignificant thing and to ignore that as well that would be disingenuous, in my opinion.

A person can be lovely and still do the right thing without it being an instant redemption.

Nah, it was just a bunch of high minded rhetoric to hide the fact that he's still butthurt at getting trolled by Trump over the SoS job. You get that, right?

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

DandyLion posted:

*posting from servitude in the magic underwear sweatshop factory

i wish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Nenonen posted:

It probably helps staying grounded that his mate was the same age and they had been married for over two decades then. Trump has never had a loving, understanding, equal companion who can put him in his place.

I think I’d rather enjoy seeing Melania yelling at trump to clean the kitchen or whatever