Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God this poo poo is some incredible twists and turns, edge of your seat nonsense. I love it, and by that I mean I hate it so very, very much, but I can't stop watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
longtime coworker of mine, a union steward, very apolitical guy, mostly focuses on sports. talked to him about the impeachment stuff and how they just let trump get away with it, no witnesses, they'll acquit, it's over. he knows it's a hosed up situation and the republicans are bad and it's a sham, and this is one of the times he's going to go look for a rundown on what's happened. so he said, "I like fox news, I'll see if they have a good summary on it."

I want to cry at how stupid and blissfully ignorant a lot of people in this country are

I recommended he check out a breakdown by the washington post or other reputable source, but, well, this was fox news's plan all along. hook'em with sports talk and then eventually pull them into the right wing political grinder.

I guess if someone has a direct, detailed breakdown of just how hosed the situation is by a reputable source I can give him, that'd be appreciated. maybe I can steer him away from the fox news pit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Helsing posted:

A slightly uncharitable reading of this thread would be that a lot of Democrats, particularly those who are relatively comfortable in their lives, are stuck in the bargaining phase of grief over the 2016 election and cannot reconcile themselves to the idea that the only way to stymie the forces Trump represents is to find ways to expand the Democratic electorate. Perhaps because they know intuitively that this change in strategy would de facto mean admitting that the current Democratic party is part of the problem and that strategies for how to fundamentally reform it are a necessary part of any meaningful discussion of contemporary politics.
Who are you specifically saying in this thread is all for the current democratic party

The only context of being gung ho for the current democrats are in the sense of "better than the bloodgargling psychopaths in the GOP"

I'm sure there's one of many Dems Are A Waste threads this discussion would be more appropriate for

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dex_sda posted:

I don't mean to call you cowardly or anything, you are in worse position than we are here, because the problems we can get doing civil disobedience is a buncha bruises from an overzealous cop.
if you've been paying attention to US stuff much, you would do well to remember that american cops have guns and are very happy to use them on anyone and anything, at any time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you are preaching to the choir in this thread my friend, we're not the people you need to convince.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Pussy Boss posted:

The only "crimes" that were highlighted by this process were obscure foreign policy horse-trading stuff that most people don't really care about. Yeah, many Americans want Trump impeached, I know I do, but for a hundred other things more important than the Ukraine stuff. People are angry at Trump, but not because he considered withholding military aid from Ukraine. They're angry because they can't afford to go the hospital or send their kids to college, and Nazis are marching in the streets.
that's not really the point. it's that he did something impeachable, he got impeached with absurd amounts of evidence to it, and the senate refused to see evidence or witnesses and rammed through a blatantly sham acquittal. The actual reason for the impeachment was bad(to you or I in terms of it mattering to our day-to-day) but the reaction to and results coming from the republicans around it are the really ugly parts. Openly declaring it would not be a fair trial. Saying they would not admit witnesses despite multiple prominent ones stepping forward. Blatantly declaring he should be above all punishment like dershowitz did. That multiple conspirators of the actual crime were involved in the trial itself. Rushing the trial through in no time at all. These are easy to digest and understand examples to even the most non-political bystander to make them question things.

this of course discounts the negative modifier of being a fox news watcher, if they're one of those people they're never going to listen to begin with, but there are absolutely people I speak to who despite not paying attention to politics, could see how flagrantly corrupt the senate trial was. I can only hope that gets results in november.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thread was great at making things more digestible, even if those things were sanity poisoning.