Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
VR owns lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Calipark posted:

Yeah and? Are you saying it's wrong to try and make new and exciting titles with established brands to push an entirely new and budding form of media to gain more mind share of the mainstream market and therefore sell more hardware. Thus making developing and expanding this brand new medium more alluring for big name developers? Further more enriching VR as it's own entertainment platform for all companies involved?

Weird. I can see where you're coming from. That is totally unreasonable. How dare they? They should just keep churning out regular ol' games like my pappy used to play.

how much are you being paid to say this

i hope it's a decent amount. i'm proud of you if you're able to make a livable salary off of this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ishikabibble posted:

i hope it's a decent amount. i'm proud of you if you're able to make a livable salary off of this

Come on. 'Publisher develops exclusive game to push new hardware' isn't exactly a hot take.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Judging from most of the leaks they're leaning real hard on detailed environmental and object interactions and the only place that where you can get that level of input precision is VR. Half Life has mostly been about pushing fancy tech, innovative game narratives and environmental puzzle solving, so a Half Life game in VR makes sense if Valve wants to iterate on that stuff.

They don't give a poo poo about selling their headset, they're not stupid they know it's expensive and that most people will be using Oculus or probably even WMR hardware and they're testing the games on those too. Cynicism can make people real dumb sometimes.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 19, 2019

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ishikabibble posted:

lol

edit:

haldolium posted:

Uh, franchise and it's history obviously?

Making a VR spin-off is not surprising, but obviously a sad way to get on with the HL universe as they created it.

Double lol.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 19, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Calipark posted:

Yeah and? .

Uh, franchise and it's history obviously?

Making a VR spin-off is not surprising, but obviously a sad way to get on with the HL universe as they created it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sad would be rehashing the same old poo poo to satisfy entitled idiots on the internet.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Missionary Positron posted:

This poo poo is going to bomb kick rear end so hard lmao

People like VR, it's true! Believe it or not, VR is here to stay.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SCheeseman posted:

Sad would be rehashing the same old poo poo to satisfy entitled idiots on the internet.
imagine if they made a normal game millions of people would enjoy

that would be sad as hell!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Valve develops gaming hardware, Valve uses a strong series IP it already owns to help sell that hardware. I'm somewhat not surprised. From the marketing standpoint it's the way to go. That's how they marketed Steam to people years ago.

I get that at the same time it's a monkey's paw wish come true and lol that this is how it ends up happenning but I have to say that personally I just don't care for HL that much. If you asked me a few years ago then sure but it's been 10+ years since the last game, I'm just not invested in it anymore.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 19, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think HL3 would be any good if it released today anyways. But I'm not going to be excited for yet another soon to be abandoned valve test balloon project.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
VR is rad. Go buy an Oculus Quest and a Link cable. It’s cheap and a pretty good VR experience.

And it’ll (most likely) play Half Life: Alyx via the Link cable.

Or hell go get an OG Vive on the cheap while everyone tries to flip it for Index money come Thursday.

Plenty of low cost options for trying out VR.

Here’s some VR game recommendations to play while you wait for Half Life:

Pavlov VR
Beat Saber
H3VR
Onward
Pistol Whip
Stormland
VTOL VR

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Rift S is a better PCVR experience than a Quest, and that isn't just my opinion, it's what Oculus recommends as well.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I’m getting a half life 2 lost coast vibe from this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Entorwellian posted:

I’m getting a half life 2 lost coast vibe from this

There's a very good chance it'll be something like this, but I don't think even Valve would've been dumb enough to call it a 'flagship' title unless they could justifiably call it a complete game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A game I'll never be able to afford. Cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, Half Life 3D is real!!

I'll definitely want to check it out but I'm afraid that at this point it made more sense as a joke than an actual game.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if you haven't followed the leaks or the history of HLVR, the following video is probably worth a watch. nothing will be confirmed until Thursday, but it lays out what to expect pretty thoroughly. it was also put on youtube back in october and accurately said an official announcement would come before the end of the year, so the rest of its predictions might be reasonably accurate

https://youtu.be/VaXGA_wSWDA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

I don't think HL3 would be any good if it released today anyways. But I'm not going to be excited for yet another soon to be abandoned valve test balloon project.

I have no idea why you even post in any valve thread anymore other than to rile people up lol. It’s clear you hate this company. Idk man you do you

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Some real sad poor and angry goons posting about how they wont EVER be able to play BAD GAME but this was expected so it sounds pretty cool.

Will definitely work about 100x better than VR hackjobs like Nomansky.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am looking forward to this

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I bought a Vive a almost two years ago and I have the space to use it along with a computer that can run the thing. It was incredibly immersive and I can absolutely see how this could be the next big thing.

But I could only use it for about forty five minutes at a stretch before being left feeling ill and headachy and poo poo for the rest of the day. So it has been in a very expensive box for a long period of time. Even something like Elite Dangerous would completely gently caress me up and make me want to vomit.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Maybe I'll get a VR headset with my bonus this year. I saw a few games where you can gladiator fight or box people and that's pretty rad

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Maybe I'll get a VR headset with my bonus this year. I saw a few games where you can gladiator fight or box people and that's pretty rad

vr has a gun sandbox where you can zone out and play with murder toys, explosives and dismember hotdogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ocRe61lYB8&t=155s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YTo9JqZcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGfZlKMLfw

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the thing that makes me absolutely certain that vr will stay a niche gimmick for a long time yet is all the nerd hype around it

Lemming posted:

It's good

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

You can get an Oculus Quest for $400 https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-All-Gaming-System-PC/dp/B07HNW68ZC?th=1 that you can play a lot of stuff with and it's completely standalone. They also released (in beta as of today) the ability to hook it up to the PC so you can do all the PCVR stuff, and it's compatible with SteamVR which the new Half Life is gonna be running on

That looks... incredibly uncomfortable, like it'd give you gorilla arm in about five minutes flat.

I recall a pretty interesting twitter thread by some academic UI researcher a while back, where the conclusion was that a lot of relatively common VR user interfaces are terrible, and gorilla arm was just one part of it. IIRC he also said that despite all the enormous hardware improvements and fidelity increases, the nausea issues are almost as much of a problem as they were when NASA was researching VR stuff back in the 1990's.

e: here:

https://twitter.com/oulasvirta/status/1103298711382380545

Some of what he points out isn't really relevant with current devices - like for example nobody's really trying to do the "poking holes in the air" thing and the Index has some really sophisticated hand controllers - but there's interesting stuff in there. And of course the replies are full of people who are really mad because he dared to question ~the future~ :v:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 19, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

What's gorilla arm? Also I have an Oculus Quest and everyone who's tried it loved it without many issues. The people who've straight up never played video games before seemed to enjoy it the most. It's definitely here to stay

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A lot of negativity in here. If you already have a VR headset, it's just a cool little thing that could be neat. Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky are both incredible in VR and the former was why I bought an Oculus originally. I also don't think it will bomb. They aren't expecting to really sell headsets with this I don't think, and they understand the percentage of people who do own headsets currently. There's no way this is expected to push regular AAA game numbers. But folks who do have a PCVR headset will very likely get it, and that's what they're counting on/hoping for.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

So have you tried nu-vr yet? With an Oculus or an Index? The way you are posting seems like you haven't. You're talking like it's 2017, that poo poo is over and done with, we have multiple headsets, with lots of them sold and plenty of people playing and enjoying VR stuff, me included.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gorilla arm describes the way your arm hangs out in front of your body when using a horizontal touchscreen, a position that can be fatiguing as input can be fairly constant while muscles in your forearms have to deal with that weight.

VR works different parts of your arms as they're not in the same position all the time and can move back to a rested state at your sides if you're not aiming or directly manipulating something. It still uses more energy that using a gamepad or mouse but it's not really the same thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SCheeseman posted:

Gorilla arm describes the way your arm hangs out in front of your body when using a horizontal touchscreen, a position that can be fatiguing as input can be fairly constant while muscles in your forearms have to deal with that weight.

VR works different parts of your arms as they're not in the same position all the time and can move back to a rested state at your sides if you're not aiming or directly manipulating something. It still uses more energy that using a gamepad or mouse but it's not really the same thing.

Not to mention that, for a lot of games, you can still use a controller or kb/m.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PIZZA.BAT posted:

What's gorilla arm? Also I have an Oculus Quest and everyone who's tried it loved it without many issues. The people who've straight up never played video games before seemed to enjoy it the most. It's definitely here to stay

It's the reason touchscreen laptops didn't catch on until they became 2-in-1's like the Surface (see this old Wired article for example). Basically, while swinging your arms around like in Beat Saber is no problem at all, doing precise movements with your arms held up in the air in front of you is incredibly fatiguing and quickly causes shoulder pain and other issues for most people. If you're at a desktop computer, try pointing at things on the screen for a minute or so and you'll probably notice it.

chaosapiant posted:

A lot of negativity in here. If you already have a VR headset, it's just a cool little thing that could be neat. Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky are both incredible in VR and the former was why I bought an Oculus originally. I also don't think it will bomb. They aren't expecting to really sell headsets with this I don't think, and they understand the percentage of people who do own headsets currently. There's no way this is expected to push regular AAA game numbers. But folks who do have a PCVR headset will very likely get it, and that's what they're counting on/hoping for.

It is incredible for certain applications but I think there are many factors that will prevent widespread adoption for a long time yet. Widespread nausea is one, the hardware issue is another. PC gaming is a niche, high end PC gaming with the computing power to really make VR work great is a niche of a niche, and high end PC gaming with expensive peripherals that are only useful for some games is a niche of a niche of a niche. VR needs more than just a killer app to catch on, I think.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TheFluff posted:

It's the reason touchscreen laptops didn't catch on until they became 2-in-1's like the Surface (see this old Wired article for example). Basically, while swinging your arms around like in Beat Saber is no problem at all, doing precise movements with your arms held up in the air in front of you is incredibly fatiguing and quickly causes shoulder pain and other issues for most people. If you're at a desktop computer, try pointing at things on the screen for a minute or so and you'll probably notice it.

It is incredible for certain applications but I think there are many factors that will prevent widespread adoption for a long time yet. Widespread nausea is one, the hardware issue is another. PC gaming is a niche, high end PC gaming with the computing power to really make VR work great is a niche of a niche, and high end PC gaming with expensive peripherals that are only useful for some games is a niche of a niche of a niche. VR needs more than just a killer app to catch on, I think.

The Quest doesn't require a PC at all though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The VR controls are more interesting to me than the headsets are, though the presence and head tracking are what make those controls work in a way that motion controllers have never pulled off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheFluff posted:

I don't think you're responding to anything I posted. My point was basically "enough people have VR currently who might want to play this game". And that's really it. It's a thing for folks who already have and enjoy the hardware.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think you're responding to anything I posted. My point was basically "enough people have VR currently who might want to play this game". And that's really it. It's a thing for folks who already have and enjoy the hardware.

They haven't ever use VR before and are sidelining.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
see:

TheFluff posted:

the thing that makes me absolutely certain that vr will stay a niche gimmick for a long time yet is all the nerd hype around it

exhibit a:

KakerMix posted:

So have you tried nu-vr yet? With an Oculus or an Index? The way you are posting seems like you haven't. You're talking like it's 2017, that poo poo is over and done with, we have multiple headsets, with lots of them sold and plenty of people playing and enjoying VR stuff, me included.

I have never tried VR at all. There are no VR games that really interest me and there are many other dumb electronic toys that rank higher than a VR headset in my nerd budget.

This sort of cult-ish posting where any questioning of the technology gets taken as a personal attack against users who have bought into it doesn't exactly sell me on VR either. Note that I have not actually said that VR is unenjoyable or that it's unworkable in general or anything like that - it seems amazing for flight sims and the like, just to mention one thing.

like honestly it really weirds me out how evangelizing people get about it and that there is no way you cannot do anything other than love it if you try it

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 19, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TheFluff posted:

see:

exhibit a:

I have never tried VR at all. There are no VR games that really interest me and there are many other dumb electronic toys that rank higher than a VR headset in my nerd budget.

This sort of cult-ish posting where any questioning of the technology gets taken as a personal attack against users who have bought into it doesn't exactly sell me on VR either. Note that I have not actually said that VR is unenjoyable or that it's unworkable in general or anything like that - it seems amazing for flight sims and the like, just to mention one thing.

It is extremely easy to pick out the people that have tried it vs the people who haven't, because they all say the same things in the same ways and when pressed, they finally say 'No I have not', usually with the extra bit where they act like its beneath them. Your tone is extremely stereotypical, and if anyone is doing a ~cult-ish~ posting about anything it is you, with the anti-VR thing. You aren't saying anything new that hasn't been said since around 2017 when there was a real big push for new VR. All the things you are complaining about have been solved or worked at, and there are different issues now. Hardware has settled a bit, and there is an entirely stand alone headset (the Quest) that is out, right now, that gives you true VR experiences without a super PC needed.

Like sure keep wandering around talking about things you don't understand to people that know better if you'd like, if you don't want to be convinced then so be it. I'm going to play the new Half-Life game and hopefully enjoy it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

KakerMix posted:

It is extremely easy to pick out the people that have tried it vs the people who haven't, because they all say the same things in the same ways and when pressed, they finally say 'No I have not', usually with the extra bit where they act like its beneath them. Your tone is extremely stereotypical, and if anyone is doing a ~cult-ish~ posting about anything it is you, with the anti-VR thing. You aren't saying anything new that hasn't been said since around 2017 when there was a real big push for new VR. All the things you are complaining about have been solved or worked at, and there are different issues now. Hardware has settled a bit, and there is an entirely stand alone headset (the Quest) that is out, right now, that gives you true VR experiences without a super PC needed.

Like sure keep wandering around talking about things you don't understand to people that know better if you'd like, if you don't want to be convinced then so be it. I'm going to play the new Half-Life game and hopefully enjoy it.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
card carrying member of the anti-vr cult, spreading FUD!