Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's a real shame that this game was basically just a flash in the pan for VR. VR in general is incredible tech but I've come to accept that it's never going to go beyond niche adoption. It makes me cynical that we'll ever get to see a full fledged HL3

I think this is incorrect; PCVR will never go beyond niche adoption, but standalone platforms like the Quest I think will just get more and more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's gonna' be adopted at higher levels when it becomes cheaper, I'd imagine. I'm certainly not willing to shell out that much money for what is admittedly a really cool toy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone here remember that Escape from City 17 fanfilm? Just got thinking about it for the first time in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g6i9o7vTI

For a budget of $500 and breaking into the trainyards to do the shots it holds up surprisingly well. I remember not caring as much for the second fanfilm they did. It went a bit too far into the "drama" side of things. Half Life 1 and 2 have got a very specific balance of tone between horror, mad science, comedy and other modes so of you go too far in any one direction it can end up overturning the whole thing. That was my main turn off to Black Mesa when I first played it because it felt like it was going too far into the sadface and horror elements and it lacked Kelly Bailey's incredible soundtrack.

If I remember right this was shot in Birmingham, AL a million years ago. I didn’t think I’d see it again as the original channel hosting the videos got sold or turned into Russian kids cartoons or something weird a few years back.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's a real shame that this game was basically just a flash in the pan for VR. VR in general is incredible tech but I've come to accept that it's never going to go beyond niche adoption. It makes me cynical that we'll ever get to see a full fledged HL3

The Quest has been a huge success, most serious development has moved there. VR is doing fine, but PCVR will remain niche particularly during this chip shortage that's going on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It's gonna' be adopted at higher levels when it becomes cheaper, I'd imagine. I'm certainly not willing to shell out that much money for what is admittedly a really cool toy.

Quest2 standalone wireless VR costs the exact same as a Nintendo Switch.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PIZZA.BAT posted:

HL3 was never going to happen. They teased it to boost HLVR sales but they never had any intention one way or the other.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Enos Cabell posted:

Not in the UK, the Q2 is about £120 more. The Switch Emu scene has also gotten good to a point where if you have a decent enough PC you don't really need to buy one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

I see your point, but I'm not sure putting forth an inexpensive, stripped-down version of a much more expensive piece of hardware and comparing it to a system poised to become the best-selling game console of all time and its entire, mammoth games library rebuts my original point.

High-end VR needs to come down in price and have a greater library of games before it'll find its way into more homes.

But in the end — and I should've added this to begin with — it's never going to be as popular as regular console gaming for the same reason we're not all waggling our Joycons and enjoying our Playstation Moves or Kinects: outside of exercise programs like DDR, and Fits both Wii and Ring, most people play videogames to relax.

Which is fine, mind. Provided the price comes down, eventually, we're always one killer app away from an ecosystem healthy enough to sustain itself, which is really all that matters.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I see your point, but I'm not sure putting forth an inexpensive, stripped-down version of a much more expensive piece of hardware and comparing it to a system poised to become the best-selling game console of all time and its entire, mammoth games library rebuts my original point.

High-end VR needs to come down in price and have a greater library of games before it'll find its way into more homes.

The Quest 2 is "High-end VR". When working standalone, the only part of the Quest's functionality that is stripped down is it's graphical capability, which is alleviated by connecting it to a PC either over WiFi or using a USB cable. It's library is fairly substantial at this point, the only major titles it's missing are HL:Alyx and, I dunno, Lone Echo? Quest 2 is also considerably better at media consumption than the Switch is.

It's good enough and it's cheap enough and it's selling fairly well. The roadblocks aren't it's functionality, but it's form and that's something that's shared with all of the more expensive HMDs; it still feels like putting a pair of goggles on and that will remain a barrier to adoption. Also Facebook.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't want to argue about it, friend. I just disagree with your premise.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't disagree that VR isn't at the point where it's going to outsell the Switch, only where the bottlenecks for further growth are, which I think is mostly form factor at this point rather than price or performance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Quest 2 is the right hardware at the right price, now I think it's just about getting the games. With the large surge in sales, I think that becomes more and more viable. I think the real sticking point right now is that most games are really poorly designed; it's a new medium and even though it's not that old, I think there's been a ton of stagnation, so I think how fast it succeeds is going to be up to how fast people figure out how to make games that take advantage of the medium as opposed to just "x but in VR"

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The best games (other than Alyx) are still stuff that's just doing stuff that's fun in real life: table tennis, mini golf and pinball are the only things I use my Q2 for.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The best games (other than Alyx) are still stuff that's just doing stuff that's fun in real life: table tennis, mini golf and pinball are the only things I use my Q2 for.

Echo VR is one of the greatest VR games of all time, it follows this premise because playing soccer in zero g with rockets on your wrists would be really fun in real life

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So are people still butthurt that this is VR Only?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Only way that VR takes off is if it becomes cheaper. Running it on the 300 dollar Oculus 2 (versus the index that is 999.99) with a good computer works, but you still need to spend 300 dollars and have a machine that is around 1000+ dollars still to run VR games well. It's huge savings comparing the index to Oculus 2, but it's still a shitload of money

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I agree needing a computer as well would be too much, but I think standalone is plenty powerful enough to not be limited by the hardware. Stuff will need to be optimized, but I don't think there's anything about VR that inherently needs a ton of power, beyond needing to hit frame rate (like the games don't have to be super realistic or whatever)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

So are people still butthurt that this is VR Only?

Not really? The NoVR mod still exists, but I think everyone's moved on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they all tried it with that mod, and realized it sucks to play it that way, either because they realized the difficulty was set up for VR, not for mouse and keyboard, or because they didn't realize that and thought it was too easy and thus, sucked.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

SCheeseman posted:

the only major titles it's missing are HL:Alyx

Is this not even available if it's connected to a pc?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

WonkyBob posted:

Is this not even available if it's connected to a pc?

What do you mean? You can play Alyx on a Quest 2, but you need to be connected to a PC. The Quest also makes it easier to play in general as you can do it wirelessly with Air Link or Virtual Desktop and you don’t have to set up anything for tracking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

5 days friendos!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658920/HalfLife_2_VR_Mod/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh huh, had not heard about that. Well, color me curious.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Taking bets on whether it'll be better than Alyx, I think yes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, half life 2 is a better game than alyx, so it really only depends on whether or not they gently caress up the VR implementation.

I say this as a big fan of alyx.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we're talking cool HL2 mods I'm really interested in the freerunner mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBPy5K6V8I

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The HL2 VR mod is out now. Just played through Red Letter Day and it's really good. It's not made for VR, but it feels much more like an official port than a mod. Can't wait to get to Ravenholm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbZ3HzvFEto :siren:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Gabe got too big to be in the documentary, huh? Well, that's too bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been trying to play HL1 deathmatch all night but I CTD after a minute or so.

What is this, 2006???

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The 25th anniversary stuff is giving me low-grade agita. The last time I played HL1, WON still existed. :corsair:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Animal-Mother posted:

He’s in it a lot?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

frogbs posted:

He’s in it a lot?

Yeah. Real weird unfounded anti gaben bias lmao.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

But he's right there??

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

99pct of germs posted:

The 25th anniversary stuff is giving me low-grade agita. The last time I played HL1, WON still existed. :corsair:

AND Sierra published it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rookoo posted:

But he's right there??

Lol

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Animal-Mother posted:

No, actually he's lost a lot of weight since the heart attack.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been on quite the Half-Life kick lately. The 25th anniversary updated prompted me to do a replay in bite-sized chunks. I don't know if this is supposed to be the case but it was like the movement physics were extremely screwed up, with Gordon moving like a rocket and sliding all over the place, especially after jumps. Then by Surface Tension I realized I made the grave mistake of playing on Hard mode, which absolutely sucks, so I stopped.

Then I played through Delta Particles, a pretty good mod that managed to nail the Half-Life feel most of the time. . . and then you hit Xen, where enemies constantly teleport in like it's a bad Doom WAD along with the bad platforming. Such is the nature of Xen, I guess.

So THEN, this past Saturday I see Half-Life 1 MMod on the Steam store page. I completely forgot that was a thing, so I downloaded it. It's fantastic. The gunplay has been improved from "servicable" to "really good", and I haven't gotten the experimental weapons yet. I previously played through Half-Life 2 MMod, so I'm not totally surprised, but it's still great to see this kind of improvement in original Half-Life.

So now I find out about Half-Life Echoes from reading through the thread, and I have my eye on Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar Redux, which is supposed to be like a remix of the game with gameplay improvements? If anybody has experience with that let me know.

Half-Life.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I remember Minerva: Metastasis being really good. It basically feels like an extra HL2 level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's the mods that immediately come to mind-I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch. At the outset, I really liked Run Think Shoot Live as a resource when I was big into HL mods; the site has a "hall of fame" that's worth paging through. Fwiw most of the below are further afield from classic gameplay, but none are, say, art games.

Both:
Koumei Satou made several classic singleplayer mods worth trying, including Mistake of Pythagoras, Sweet Half-Life, and Peaces Like Us.

HL1:
  • The Trap is an excellent HL1 mod focused mostly on puzzles - it gets quite challenging but doesn't require engine exploits or anything like that.
  • They Hunger is a great, classic mod from the era when modders would get actual sponsorships - effectively a full trilogy of "horror" games with completely new assets that still feel very familiar. It's tragic that the planned follow-up dissolved.
  • If you like sadism, another great of the genre is the Halfquake Trilogy, which more or less sets the standard for sadistic design.
  • On the comedy side there's the surprisingly deep Hazardous Course 2.
HL2 (and sequels):
  • Black Mesa is certainly worth the price of admission.
  • Research & Development is an excellent, polished mod focused on puzzles that is really worth trying.
  • Coastline to Atmosphere is an infamously...extensive...HL2 mod. Lots, and lots, and lots of shooting combine in every conceivable environment.
  • More recently, HL2 mods Entropy Zero and Entropy Zero 2 have been quite popular, though I find them pretty fanfiction-y (and I don't recommend the top difficulty).
  • Nightmare House 2 is a decent horror-themed creation by the indie folks that would go on to produce the well-received quasi-horror title, In Sound Mind. The first entry (which is rougher) is contained in NH2 as the intro and is worth playing first for context.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I remember Minerva: Metastasis being really good. It basically feels like an extra HL2 level

The Minerva dev got hired by valve, though I think they left after HL:Alyx (I might be wrong). Their approach to map flow design had a huge impact.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 1, 2024