Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

BigglesSWE posted:

My wife is gonna buy me a banjo for my birthday. We'll go to town tomorrow and take a look at what we can find for a thick-skulled non-musician like myself. Wish us luck!

Didja get something? Do tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I want an electric banjo. I own no banjos, just 4 guitars for strings right now, also I can't really play anything that's not a saxophone with even mild proficiency, despite the growing number of stringed instruments and keybeds I seem to be acquiring.

After reading all the reddit reasons not to get an electric banjo (often bad pickups, "why do you want an electric pickup on a banjo?!", "it doesn't reeeeally sound like a banjo, even nice ones") I still want one but also I am generally cheap and trying to spend all my money on video synths.

Assuming I am looking at used stuff on Reverb what are my best options at $300 or $500 and also am I better off just getting a normal banjo and putting a pickup on it?

This whole room is so wired up it glows in the dark and even my loving kazoo has an electric pickup, I don't want to start with an acoustic banjo since I am mostly just looking to abuse the gently caress out of it and then feed it into granular synth workflows, hosed/distorted harmonics and all (especially those)

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I want an electric banjo.

Electric banjos are pretty niche so your best option on reverb is likely whatever you see for sale that day. Gold tone has a couple models but I think they will be above that price range.

As far as banjo with a pickup, there are different pickups for different purposes/budgets and some will sound more "like a banjo" than others.

Is there a characteristic of the banjo sound you want to reproduce, or do you just want something that look/feels like a banjo? If you have an example of the sound you're going for that might help.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What about an old Deering starfire? I saw one a while back at a store and I kick myself now for not picking it up

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm thinking about picking up a Goldtone OB-3RF Twanger with the radiused fretboard.
I've been playing my CC100 for close to a year.
Locally, there's a new looking Twanger with spikes and a few other upgrades for ~$400 less than new. The guy has had it up for sale for at least a few months now. He's got a standard OB-3 but I think I want the spikes and radiused fb

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
You want the spikes. I had more put in my main banjo than came stock and also had spikes installed in my goodtime.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have a 5th string capo now and I definitely don't want to be doing that long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Spikes are also suuuper easy to install yourself