Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUgHEZeIIiw
yea thats me ^.
I just can't help myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
lol Leroy Troy. He's such a goofball, he's been doing the same tricks for 30 years. He's impersonating Uncle Dave Macon you know.
See the tricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gicjw5n92qQ&t=52s

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s not editing trickery or anything-it really works. I used to be be able to do about half his ‘grandfather’s clock’ tricks and if you strum hard enough there is enough sustain to keep to sound going. He’s also strumming up at the top of the neck with his left hand too.

It’s great old vaudeville/medicine show stuff.

lol they thought that was an audio trick so he must be pretty good at it. No, that's not even hard to do, you just do a pull off. 50% of banjo playing is hammer ons and pull offs anyway, that's how you get that rolling syncopated sound.

I do it when I play Darlin COra

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
You could pull the string off to sound an open string, That's what everyone else does. I don't really care about Leroy Troy so not feeling like inspecting him too closely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_G0vVo7zBU See Mike Seeger, on the bumpa-ditty bumpa-ditty part, the PA is from an open string pull off. See about 40 seconds in, his ring finger is pulling off to give it that extra beat. That's not a great video, if you can find the DVD he made, it's great. Lot's of knowledge in it

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 24, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
No

I have these that I haven't looked at in awhile. You get to transcriptions of the classic tunes. The traditional way and the 'modern' dan levenson way. Really useful tools. I learned by taking the mp3 files that come with it from the site and slowing it way way down in Ableton live, so it keeps its pitch. Then playing along while gradually bringing up to speed.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Colonel J posted:

It's crazy how banjos just sing. You can play simple chords, D C G stuff, and by just hitting individual strings softly it makes something beautiful.

I have no idea how to do actual banjo stuff, but it's an amazing instrument to mess on when you're just used to guitar!

Using a calf skin head is what really brings the sound to life. My favorite banjo is the $90 Harmony I got from eBay, made from Bakelite plastic, not even wood.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Turns out trying to get a banjo isn't a simple thing, drat near everything is out of stock. It's also europe, so it's slim pickings to begin with.

Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner stuff? I first tried to grab the MB-100, which failed. Then put in a bit more money and tried to grab a Golden Tone AC-1, which also failed. I might be able to get my hands on a Recording King Dirty 30's Open Back, maybe? Other than those, it looks like a bunch of brands which I haven't heard anything about and am skeptical of, like Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand I think) and GEWA (sold as VGS Select / Premium etc).

Get the open back! My first banjo was a refurbished super tone from a forums poster on the Banjo Hangout. What do you want? Clawhammer? I prefer open backs, nylgut, calfskin, and fret less. Its so much warmer and more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm supposed to have a handbuilt replica of Fred Cockerham's fretless formica neck open back. He asked for $1,200 and a $100 deposit. It's been almost 2 years now. When I questioned him he said "genius can't be rushed." It's passion project at the price point.
I bought a Cello Banjo from Goldtone. I'd sell it. I don't like how heavy it is. I'd rather play a feather light tackhead with violin pegs.