Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm playing through Halo 5 on cloud gaming because I want to see the campaign before infinite comes out, and it doesn't seem that bad so far? I'm only up to mission 7, but so far I like it more than 4. Prometheans are less annoying to fight and their weapons are better to use, the missions are pretty good, and I like the squad based nature of it. It might completely turn to poo poo in the back half but for now I'm enjoying it. Using a controller for FPS games sucks rear end though. Hope they add it to the MCC one day, though it doesn't look likely at this point. Being on PC and a little modding would really improve it.

Halo 5 isn't coming to MCC.
Halo 5's story was convoluted and scattered, which was it's biggest complaint. Nothing ever seem to make any sense, such as Cortana being in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This podcast about Halo 2's multiplayer design and implementation is still going and it's real, real good. Third episode about the game's multiplayer maps just came out.

https://twitter.com/Brav/status/1455988421424418816

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Welp, my GTX 970 cant handle big team battle above 20fps. And the load times are atrocious. The game isn't that big, there's no excuse for it to take so long to boot or load a small multiplayer map.

It's great when it works though.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
So since my computer can't run Infinite, I decided to clear out a couple of the season challenges. This revealed to me that they fixed the issue I had for a while where I couldn't unlock some of the Halo 1 campaign achievements, so I started doing those.

And then I decided "gently caress it, I'm going to learn the scurty bump because I hate Keyes". And I decided to do the shield bump because I couldn't get the fucker to revive.

I managed it in about 20 tries. I am scared.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

What’s the deal with the crazily-lit Pelican in the main menu? I haven’t touched MCC in years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I played Halo Fireteam Raven at an arcade today

It was pretty fun but lol how it almost certainly scales damage taken so everyone loses after roughly the same period of time. Definitely a quartermuncher

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

RBA Starblade posted:

I played Halo Fireteam Raven at an arcade today

It was pretty fun but lol how it almost certainly scales damage taken so everyone loses after roughly the same period of time. Definitely a quartermuncher

Did the machine you play on have it's QR code reader activated? I've seen 2 machines, but their readers were turned off

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Did the machine you play on have it's QR code reader activated? I've seen 2 machines, but their readers were turned off

I didn't even see one and only found out about it after the fact, I'll have to check next time

There was also an Ace Combat Assault Horizon machine there lmao, it was p sweet too. It had its picture taker turned off so I'm guessing the Halo one's similarly restricted

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Great Beer posted:

Welp, my GTX 970 cant handle big team battle above 20fps. And the load times are atrocious. The game isn't that big, there's no excuse for it to take so long to boot or load a small multiplayer map.

It's great when it works though.

That's odd. I have a 970 as well afaik, and i usually get somewhere in the 50s if not 60fps - though I'm running most everything on low. Load times are okay for me as well, not snappy but not a bother either.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
It's crazy how much longer the load times are in BTB than regular matches.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

runchild posted:

What’s the deal with the crazily-lit Pelican in the main menu? I haven’t touched MCC in years.

just random background stuff

last season had a banshee to fit with its Elite theme

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Disproportionation posted:

That's odd. I have a 970 as well afaik, and i usually get somewhere in the 50s if not 60fps - though I'm running most everything on low. Load times are okay for me as well, not snappy but not a bother either.

Hm. I've cranked everything to low and have the game on an SSD but the boot time is still poo poo. Takes almost 3 minutes just to get to the menu and then loading a 4v4 game takes another 2 after it finally connects.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm jumping on MCC tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to blast through the Weekly Challenges that don't suck unlike Halo Infinite's challenges!!!!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Why dose that one marine in Halo 3 say her breasts don't produce milk?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My most played Xbox game according to the Xbox Museum site is apparently Halo Wars, which has to make me stand alone among all people on earth.

I did really love that game though.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shiroc posted:

My most played Xbox game according to the Xbox Museum site is apparently Halo Wars, which has to make me stand alone among all people on earth.

I did really love that game though.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition is a pretty good remaster of the game and supports mouse and keyboard on PC. Halo Wars 2 was x100 better though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved dropping a thousand ODST right on top of enemies

Beyond that it was an alright game

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played 2v2 with one of my friends a lot back when it was at its 'peak'. We would continually get matched with the same people that we'd just played because nobody else was playing it at all. I really liked where it had a balance of strategic and tactical gameplay. We were a really good team for the most part. My friend occasionally would get caught up if one unit proved super dominant in a match and want to just keep doing that every time in spite of the game being built around hard counters.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Dog King posted:

Why dose that one marine in Halo 3 say her breasts don't produce milk?

The Laura Prepon marine in 2 says "I bleed more that that on a monthly basis" sometimes when shot.

Which is definitely a line.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm online now if anyone is available to help me knock out this week's challenges

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I'm lookin to learn about the changes / fixes for campaign coop on MCC since launch. I got Reach, tried playing it, found the audio issues and peer-to-peer coop unplayable. I imagine the campaigns can't be changed regarding the input lag, but maybe they've fixed other issues. What are people's experiences with campaign coop on MCC recently?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've done all the MCC campaigns in co-op LASO with no problems beyond intermittent crashes if you don't skip cutscenes in Halo 2 but I was the host every time

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Prokhor posted:

I'm lookin to learn about the changes / fixes for campaign coop on MCC since launch. I got Reach, tried playing it, found the audio issues and peer-to-peer coop unplayable. I imagine the campaigns can't be changed regarding the input lag, but maybe they've fixed other issues. What are people's experiences with campaign coop on MCC recently?

As I understand it the input lag was lessened but is still present and Reach's weapon sounds were mostly fixed. Halo 2 did crash for my friend and I but setting fps to 60 and maybe also using the mod friendly launch option fixed that. As I recall, my friend described the input lag as kinda gross but not insurmountable and we've been having a blast so far with us at the end of Halo 2 right now.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I finally played through Halo 2 on MCC because I never had before. I knew that people hated the ending but didn't experience it for myself until now, and let me just say 17 years late:

:lol: hooooly poo poo no wonder people were furious

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I finally played through Halo 2 on MCC because I never had before. I knew that people hated the ending but didn't experience it for myself until now, and let me just say 17 years late:

Yeah the actual final level with Chief on the Dreadnought got cut. Though from the sounds of it even if that level wasn't cut it'd still be anticlimatic.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't somebody working on restoring the cut material from the ending of Halo 2? I remember reading something about how there was a whole warthog run that got deleted from the end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

Wasn't somebody working on restoring the cut material from the ending of Halo 2? I remember reading something about how there was a whole warthog run that got deleted from the end

Yeah, there’s a mod for the warthog run. Nothing super amazing though. I don’t think the original final Earth/Ark level ever got far enough in design to “restore”.

https://youtu.be/OMahag8wEtc

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC kicks rear end.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

AndrewP posted:

I literally thought my disc was scratched back in the day

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New patch has dropped, but it's just a hotfix for some minor bugs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
343 Industries is halting online services for Xbox 360 Halo games starting January 13

RIP to the OGs.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey Halo thread, I'm running a whole Halo LP series and am currently on Halo 3. I'd really like to be able to show off some Forge stuff, but even after figuring out how to find the files, I don't know what's good and what isn't. Any chance someone in here has kept a list of particularly good maps and/or gametypes from back in the day that they'd be willing to share?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Even with infinite out I keep coming back to MCC. A lot of stuff in it just feels better to me than stuff in infinite. The hits on guns feel a lot better. The progression system and challenges feel better. It's nice having more map variety (although some of this comes from the earlier halos having DLC and infinite being new). I like how the vehicle spawns aren't random. I suppose in some ways it's goofy but I really like this seasons armor. I just finished the season and the Halo 3 helmet with the small wings on the side is my favorite helmet they've released so far.

Not to mention being able to actually play the campaign with friends and replay the campaign missions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I had the same experience. Only I couldn't convince anybody I knew that there was a better version of the game they were currently enjoying. So now I just don't play Halo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do Bungie employees still play MCC on occasion? I ran across someone with a bungie tag rather than a number tag. Maybe it was an employee or maybe it was a glitch?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It was probably Hacks

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

Do Bungie employees still play MCC on occasion? I ran across someone with a bungie tag rather than a number tag. Maybe it was an employee or maybe it was a glitch?

That is a hack/mod. Bungie employees no longer get anything unique in Halo.

I think 343 only gets like, a nameplate and maybe a gun skin, come to think of it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I get unique teammates and exclusively low KDRs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

I get unique teammates and exclusively low KDRs

Your lats must be incredible from carrying all those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

No no no the low KDRs are mine