Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if you've got the exclusive low KDR are you getting rank 50 MLG aces for teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/343Postums/status/1486915318693777408

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iKyXgqUdA

The H2A models look really nice in Halo 3. I just wish that there was an easy way to fix the terrible lip sync that's been there since day one. ODST had proper lipsync, so I think it's just a timing error that makes the mouth animations play a split second before the audio.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Agoat posted:

That is a hack/mod. Bungie employees no longer get anything unique in Halo.

I think 343 only gets like, a nameplate and maybe a gun skin, come to think of it.

just the nameplates. Any gun skins/armor that 343 employees get are in H5 and Infinite

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Halo: MCC had some cool mods and maps, you guys! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3GCXtDXkY

Another video of people having fun not playing Halo Infinite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDFWiiiXJgI

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 13, 2022

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC is better than Halo Infinite
https://twitter.com/Zee_Naught/status/1491397794325999617?t=kwfx5ajGP_GoPgKdThrD3Q&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_POKVFZCaxQ

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Always has been

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRx-WKtMgMs

These Halo 3 mods are super enticing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to play the game where I effortlessly headshot dudes and acumulate a bunch of multikills with the H:CE pistol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Escalation Slayer is back in rotation for MCC this week.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey, I launched a new quickplay of Halo 2 anniversary and they took out the really dumb Spartan Locke intro cutscene and start with the Arbiter's trial. So that's nice.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Arc Hammer posted:

Hey, I launched a new quickplay of Halo 2 anniversary and they took out the really dumb Spartan Locke intro cutscene and start with the Arbiter's trial. So that's nice.

I think that only plays the first time you launch it anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like ODST Flood Firefight is finally getting released. The Insider version from last year was pretty buggy but great fun.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1512505876158074888

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Has anyone run a LAN with MCC? How did it go? I'm looking at running it across 3 consoles, a one x, one s and series x.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crossposting dis: New Halo MCC Update!

The cliff notes:
  • ODST firefight now has the Flood (which can infect you and resurrect you as an AI enemy!), Elites, Energy Swords, Sentinel Beams, and other goodies.
  • Reach firefight now lets you trade weapons with friendly NPCs and evict them from vehicles
  • Various UI improvements, particularly to how you can preview items.
  • Custom Games Browser support for Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 4
  • More Forge toys for Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary, like team-specific kill volumes
  • Halo 3 and ODST now have crossplay campaign co-op between PC and console!
  • Ability to use weapon skins in Halo 4 Campaign
  • 51 new medals in Halo 3 multiplayer. You can turn off seeing them if you want, or you can only turn on three specific ones (Headshot, Assist and Supercombine).
  • Halo 3 and ODST now have a bunch of new skulls from the other games. Halo 2 now has the Acrophobia skull that was added to Reach ages ago.

Coming in 2022: Yet more mod support, more leftover cosmetics, more campaign collectables ala the Moa statues in Halo 3, more accessibility poo poo like subtitles, UI improvements

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Kins posted:

[*]Halo 3 and ODST now have crossplay campaign co-op between PC and console!

Get the gently caress out. Or get the gently caress in, I should say.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It really took them, what, 8 years to somewhat fix MCC?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh, so it turns out Rookie's real name has been revealed to be Jonathan Doherty. John Doe.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, two John Halos?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Huh, so it turns out Rookie's real name has been revealed to be Jonathan Doherty. John Doe.

John Doe-Dee Estee

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

...Ok, I will admit. I laughed. Far more than I probably should have.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So Flood in firefight, is that a new mode you select or have they just been added to the game mode in general?

edit: oh apparently my buddy hosting just missed "floodfight", so there you go.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 12, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4i-yOUmXY

That's Johnson talking when they receive a callback from Gamma Station, isn't it? That's a neat reference to The Fall of Reach book since that's where Chief picked up Johnson during the battle.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It's definitely someone voiced by David Scully, but I don't think Johnson would have been there yet, IIRC he and his squad got sent up not long before Blue Team.

And in any case he probably wouldn't have been in charge of the station or comms even if he was there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, you're right. Even with that extensive timeline video out there the battle of Reach is confusing as hell with all the different adaptations. I forget that Halo Reach takes place over nearly a month of combat while The Fall of Reach book only focuses on the final day of the battle.

Still, probably a nice little Easter egg.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrRqfyDTU8

Looks fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzLS0omUams

Looks like it could be fun, has anyone tried out some of the workshop mods for MCC lately?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So the announcement of Bungie reviving Marathon prompted me to pick up the MCC again.

I'm not totally new to Halo; I played a bit of the campaign and multiplayer for 1 and 2 at a neighbor's house back in the early 2000s, but it wasn't from beginning-to-end (I think we avoided the levels with the Flood), and I was pretty young, so I didn't have a real great grasp on the story.

I started Halo CE back in 2021 and played up to partway through the third mission, but then I dropped it until now. I guess my progress didn't get saved, so I started back at the Pillar of Autumn, and played up to the start of Assault on the Control Room.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about the level design. In a way it reminds me of Serious Sam, where the games kind of moves you from arena to arena, fighting a group of enemies until a door opens or the radio chatter tells you to move to another objective. Sometimes you get a marker telling you where to go, but sometimes you don't. Mission 2 (Halo) doesn't have any objective markers, and while I was able to finish it fine without getting lost, the level feels so big that it seems like you could get lost or disoriented on where you supposed to go next. Mission 3 (Truth and Reconciliation) felt like it had a lot of copy-and-paste corridors. Mission 4 (Silent Cartographer) started out kind of neat, but then it ends up being a lot of backtracking. I know The Library is supposed to be very bad in that regard.

Mission 2 and 4 give you the Warthog to ride around in, thought it seems like it's mainly used to ferry you from one part of the map to the other, because once you arrive at a location there's not really clearance to get it through obstacles (though I did manage to fit it between some boulders).

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, and I find I'm not doing too badly. I found that I could play somewhat aggressively (run around in the open somewhat and go for melee attacks on some enemies), and manage to do pretty well. I don't know if that's because the game was designed for M&KB versus gamepad, or if Normal is just on the lenient side. I'm not saying it's too easy (I've still died a few times and from what I recall, on Legendary, Grunts can kill you in like two hits), I just wonder if I'm "playing it right" by playing it like I would Doom/Quake. I try to go for headshots, which I think the game does register, thought with the Elites, you need the sniper rifle for it to be a one-shot (you can snipe with the pistol, but it doesn't seem powerful enough). With the shield regen and the wealth of (mostly plasma) grenades the Covenant drop, it does seem like you are meant to to play somewhat aggressively and press the enemy.

What I found pretty interesting playing this while also playing a bit of Marathon is how similar they are. I'm not talking the story stuff (I know there's tons of story parallels, nods, homages, etc.), but in how they feel. One of the reasons I didn't take to Marathon when I first played it is because it feels kind of slow and floaty, but I realized that Halo is slow, and when you jump, it does feel floaty. Where I really noticed it was with the assault rifles: both the Marathon assault rifle and the Halo assault rifle fire extremely fast, but it has a pretty wide spread, so you really need to use it in close-quarters for it to be effective.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you're going for headshots it's actually advisable to aim slightly above the head of the enemy (though still within red reticle hit detection). When Bungie first made the Halo games for Xbox they also set the targeting reticle on the bottom third of the screen to give people playing in TV screens more visibility, and in order to help them still land shits reliably the bullet magnetism for the auto-aim is weighted towards the bottom of the screen as people lead their shots. This still applies even if you're using the modernized dead-center targeting reticle.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arc Hammer posted:

If you're going for headshots it's actually advisable to aim slightly above the head of the enemy (though still within red reticle hit detection). When Bungie first made the Halo games for Xbox they also set the targeting reticle on the bottom third of the screen to give people playing in TV screens more visibility, and in order to help them still land shits reliably the bullet magnetism for the auto-aim is weighted towards the bottom of the screen as people lead their shots. This still applies even if you're using the modernized dead-center targeting reticle.

I played a little multiplayer this morning and tried aiming above the head, and I did manage a few headshots. I'll try and keep it in mind continuing through the campaign.

How active is the MCC nowadays? I was a little concerned since this thread hadn't been active since January. When I browsed the multiplayer custom games, it seemed like most of the active games were for Halo Reach. Right now, I only have Halo 1 installed. I can probably get away with installing some of the other games (may have to clear a bit of room on the SSD), but I wasn't sure if there was one game in the collection people tended towards.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

I played a little multiplayer this morning and tried aiming above the head, and I did manage a few headshots. I'll try and keep it in mind continuing through the campaign.

How active is the MCC nowadays? I was a little concerned since this thread hadn't been active since January. When I browsed the multiplayer custom games, it seemed like most of the active games were for Halo Reach. Right now, I only have Halo 1 installed. I can probably get away with installing some of the other games (may have to clear a bit of room on the SSD), but I wasn't sure if there was one game in the collection people tended towards.

3 and Reach are probably the most played, but the more games you install, the better chance of finding a match.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach, Halo 3 and ODST are the most active portions of the game. You can occasionally get some good matches on Halo 2 or Halo 2 anniversary but they're extremely sweaty and not fun unless you're very good. Halo 4 can have some good Big Team battles but personally I think the best Halo 4 game mode is the ranked 6v6. I haven't played Halo CE multiplayer so I can't comment.

But the Reach and 3 multiplayer is pretty healthy and Firefight is going strong.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Gonna try and do a LAN with MCC for my birthday in an impossible attempt to claw back my childhood. Looking at 6-8 players. Please recommend me your favourite game modes with which title because wow there a lot of variants across all the games.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/halo-mcc-july-2023-update

New MCC update this Wednesday, really glad to see it's not abandoned. :peanut:

Looks like part of the update is going to be restoring some cut content outlined in this post:

Infernot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 10, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I beat Delta Halo and Regret on Legendary today and man that part right at the end where you have to kill Regret was such a pain with the respawning enemies.

I also found that someone is remaking Halo: CE in the Halo 3 engine via the Steam Workshop. I haven't given it a try yet, but It looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWD5K03ecCM&t=55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSr989IRo_Y

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ooo that DOES look rad!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I got this last week and have been playing it a bit every night. I decided to go through the games in order, and was originally getting achievements just fine but those seem to have dropped off since completing 'Halo' (the chapter in Halo CE). Anyone else have this problem? I'm on Steam deck and am running it with the easy Anti-cheat enabled, if that helps. But of course, I was doing that when I was originally getting them as well.

Edit: ok, it looks like a update hosed it up and now the game, at least on Steam deck, can't locate MCC-Win64-Shipping.exe.

This sort of happened a few months ago with GTA Online, and valve fixed it shortly afterwards. I assume achievements will likely work after that. poo poo, I'll probably get all of mine at once.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 24, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

343 manages to gently caress this game up in interesting ways every single patch, particularly on the Deck. They, honestly, seem to have no loving idea what they're doing.

I feel like modders could have bundled these games together better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fixed now.

And of course, achievement-wise, it's like I barely touched CE.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Don’t worry, unlike some of the Halos it’s never a chore to replay CE. Well, most of it.