Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Somewhat, but all the games have 'different' engines (and in the case of 1/2, two of them running in parallel!) - the Reach engine is apparently actually pretty different from the 3/ODST branch.

Oh yeah it won't be a massive improvement or anything but I think Reach has been going for about eight months and they're expecting to do the next five in a year so that seems like a decent enough increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

MS also wants to sell gamepass for PC and still will keep players subbing. It will also prolong the life of the game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm just glad Reach is first cause it's the best Halo, and that is a hill I will die on.

Just try and @ me thru my armor lock.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forget did reach have competitive PvP?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

I forget did reach have competitive PvP?

do you mean just like Slayer, CTF, etc? ya

They even have their own version of Blood Gulch

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wort wort wort

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna say Reach was the best of classic Halo multi, before 343 fuckin' tried to CoD-ify it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember what 343 did to Reach exactly but I remember it was less fun somehow after they did their loving title update

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

Wort wort wort

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I can't remember what 343 did to Reach exactly but I remember it was less fun somehow after they did their loving title update

Thus began the roll into oblivion under 343.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have played Halo 1 precisely once in my life: as a teenager I got my hands on it for PC and played the first mission and never touched it again. Since then I've grown up and played OG Doom and learned to enjoy shooting things. The internet tells me that Halo has a fairly good single-player campaign, and if I get really into its plot there are novels I can read and stuff. That sounds cool!

Therefore I will probably buy this and enjoy it. I hope it has a good bug-free launch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Actually I have a question, as I read more up on it: IS Reach a good place to start with in the series, or is the kind of prequel you want to come back to later?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think it can work both as an entry point and as a victory lap for a universe you've come to care about but it probably does the second one better, purely from a story standpoint. If you just want to play the campaigns and not care about the MP aspects while they're more populated I'd wait on the whole shebang for this time next year and do them 1-3, ODST, Reach.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Halo barely has a story so it's fine.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

if anyone tries to say halo reach isnt the best one then theyre a fuckin cop

Orv
May 4, 2011

haunted bong posted:

if anyone tries to say halo reach isnt the best one then theyre a fuckin cop

Look, ODST Firefight is really good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

Halo barely has a story so it's fine.

My favourite part of Halo's story is how the human government was so oppressive that so many of the outer colonies were going insurrectionist that the military kidnapped children to mould into the ultimate guided weapons in order to beat those colonies back in line lest the whole thing lead to an empire-ending civil war as per the UNSC's projections

And that's when the foreign religious fanatics who can't be reasoned with show up to do a genocide to you and suddenly *you're the good guy!* oo rah semper fi man

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

MCC already bought, waiting for Reach to drop

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

MCC already bought, waiting for Reach to drop

Same! The only Halo I've played to date is Halo: CE on PC, as I never owned an xbox. But I remember hearing a lot of good things about Reach in particular, so I'm excited to give it a go!
(And I'm friends with a big Halo fan, so we're planning on playing through all the campaigns in coop)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo, a Halo game on PC in less than a week. I mean I know we've had other Halo titles on PC before, but they were terrible ports and its been a couple console generations since it happened.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Holy poo poo, a Halo game on PC in less than a week. I mean I know we've had other Halo titles on PC before, but they were terrible ports and its been a couple console generations since it happened.

its gonna own. I want to get a bunch of goons together on whatever Reach's equivalent of Blood Gulch is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

its gonna own. I want to get a bunch of goons together on whatever Reach's equivalent of Blood Gulch is

:hellyeah: Count me in for that please.

Orv
May 4, 2011

eonwe posted:

Imagine Blood Gulch but way way bigger for no reason and a pain in the rear end to get around.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I know 2 is still a ways off, but I can't get this poo poo out of my head (again) :megadeath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svdR8_w1N0Y

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Can't wait for Halo 1 PC multiplayer to immediately devolve into everyone running around drilling people in the head with the pistol.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Can't wait for Halo 1 PC multiplayer to immediately devolve into everyone running around drilling people in the head with the pistol.

Devolve? :getin:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Devolve? :getin:

It wasn't called combat evolved for no reason

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bungie has always been in the pocket of Big Pistol.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Tighclops posted:

https://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Reach_Title_Updates

some real bad decisions in here like removing sword blocking and ruining armor lock

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can still remember all the bitching the MLG kids did about the armour lock, listening to those kinds of assholes is what help do IP in

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VarXX posted:

https://www.halopedia.org/Halo:_Reach_Title_Updates

some real bad decisions in here like removing sword blocking and ruining armor lock

Axing the no-bleedthru damage was a big whiff, too.

Also lol that mlg crybabies just can't pace their shots to keep em accurate and demand no bloom.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

God I'm so excited for Reach on PC. I played the poo poo out of that game with goons way back when it released. I wonder if any of them are still around and not banned here. faaart xcuse me, John Stalvern, BobSagetisSHAFT, Holy Calamity, TerranRaida. Suede Falcon, UnseenGrub, TheOneAndOnlyT7 and others. I hope someone out there remembers the dumbass custom games of Falconry we used to play, or the ridiculous multi-part assault missions people made up, or how we somehow found 16 people one time to playtest some big map I made in Forge World, or playing on The Octagon in free-for-all with a 50 kill limit in nothing but close quarters and every explosive in the menu. Or when we learned that our pal Orca had died in a car accident, and his dad hopped on to play some matches with us, with all of us changing our ingame tags to "ORCA" in his memory.

Reach was an incredible time, and I cannot wait to relive it once more. I'm definitely down for playing with Goons once more.

edit: Bungie still has Reach stats available online. If you played back on 360, try and find your stats! Here are mine: https://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=fp0

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sold. Double sold if they can recreate the_stairs or ctf_hallofdeath somehow in the game as well.