Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

'what kind of product do you make'
agile developer, coyly, "I don't know"

don't doxx my work thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

agile is a tool that you buy after a particularly convincing salesman convinces you and you opt in to the implementation plan where some contractor does the agile and then you are done forever. You are now and will forever be agile.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wait, it's actually a thing you buy? like a discrete product? or is it like one of those self help scams?

does tony robbins sell agile? does dr. phil?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

wait, it's actually a thing you buy? like a discrete product? or is it like one of those self help scams?

does tony robbins sell agile? does dr. phil?

getting things done is basically scrum for individuals but there might be a niche there for a talented enough huckster. work in meditation and some bullshit brain pills and you might have something

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

do a 15 minute daily standup and then after the standup before diving into your day meditate for 15 minutes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

???

My professional experience of agile is that it matches the description in DELETE CASCADE's post.

my professional experience is that poo poo never gets shown to customers (or even to sales) until it's far too late for anyone to give any input, and that the primary role of agile is to make sure everyone has 1-2 deadlines a week to meet

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

gonna vipassana the poo poo out of this race condition

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
no i seriously want to know what it is that they're calling an "epic"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

no i seriously want to know what it is that they're calling an "epic"

a collection of stories

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

bacon. nancy pelosi clapbacks. updating the config page UI.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I use agile processes to help keep nerds from building ridiculously complicated solutions that do nothing to solve customer problems but only serve to massage their own engineering egos.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
pokemon go to the kanban board

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

getting things done is basically scrum for individuals but there might be a niche there for a talented enough huckster.

uniscrum

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

uniscrum

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

qirex posted:

a collection of stories

quote:

An agile epic is a body of work that can be broken down into specific tasks (called “stories,” or “user stories”) based on the needs/requests of customers or end users.

Epics are a helpful way to organize your work and to create a hierarchy.
lol gently caress off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
agile is stupid but trello is useful for irl poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

agile is fine actually, it works about as well as most software development methodologies, which is to say not very well

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

my professional experience is that poo poo never gets shown to customers (or even to sales) until it's far too late for anyone to give any input, and that the primary role of agile is to make sure everyone has 1-2 deadlines a week to meet

ok. I do not know whether that is technically agile TM or not but it sounds bad.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

one of the problems is that 'agile' is so poorly defined anyone can say they do it at any time.

as a dude who wants a successful software product produced, I'd be pushing for xp.

as a dude who writes that software, i would not want to work in an xp shop.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
agile is when you give up entirely on the boring work of “planning” and “designing” and just throw junk at the wall and see if it is pleasing to the customer.

every team ive ever seen claim to be doing agile skips that part... that one part that actually makes agile worth a drat - the quick regular feedback.

they just go do waterfall with no design or upfront plan and have sprints and standups and wonder why nothing works at all ever.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

gonna vipassana the poo poo out of this race condition

i fuckin love vipassana it’s one of the most valuable things ever learns

❤️❤️❤️ sam harris

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

while this is true, isn’t it also extremely apple and baseball bats as far as not even similar things except they both exist in the computer realm

trello owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

do a 15 minute daily standup and then after the standup before diving into your day meditate for 15 minutes

https://youtu.be/F_2EdnWHUNk

I urge everyone deeply to give this the time to see if flourish

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fresh_cheese posted:

every team ive ever seen claim to be doing agile skips that part... that one part that actually makes agile worth a drat - the quick regular feedback.

here's the thing: if you change your users' software every sprint they're going to hate you way more than they already do, even if you're making it better. "release early and get feedback" ignores this fact

most agile also assumes that everyone in your whole org is 1. also doing agile and 2. are on the same schedule as your team, if you have a contracting partner who was hired to build feature x by date y they will never give a gently caress about your sprints, only their contractually obligated completion date

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

johnny, can you please tell me more? i’d unironically like to get more organized at work so something that works for non-computer touchers would be good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

this is now a serious thread. please help me i’m some species of functioning idiot but it’ll all come apart at the seams any time now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

this is now a serious thread. please help me i’m some species of functioning idiot but it’ll all come apart at the seams any time now.
congratulations, you're now the scrum master

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just use 4 column trellos: "someday", "this week", "in progress" and "done". move things from someday to this week once a week, then work out of there.

i am very bad at organizing and any advice past that which i would give you would likely be flawed + cause me to get mocked

but thats a start

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

qirex posted:

congratulations, you're now the scrum master

first i lead the scrum then i feed your mum

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

after ive written requirements I will go over them with a customer and theres rarely nasty surprises that they dont like what we did or we totally missed the mark. talking to them with actual mockups and requirements helps structure a discussion and often gets them to think of things they do need or are important to them.

if youre just like "HEY WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS VAGUE IDEA??!?!" 90% of the time theyre like sure whatever that seems cool if theyre already licensed for it or like someone mentioned they aren't thinking about all the natural assumptions they have about a particular solution based on their real world experience. even if we start with a vague open ended question ill get a real proposal in front of them before anyone touches code. its a very easy way to avoid disasters but I guess most people dont do that?

if things change during our development ill touch base with the customer and discuss it. as long as youre vaguely transparent and deliver what you promised and get customers involved if/when things changed thats 1000x better than cutting someone new builds to install constantly. maybe give a functional demo from your end once you have an early kinda working build.

power botton fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 22, 2019

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

or as rotor said all software development sucks but for some reason developers seem to love agile so whatever let the babies have their toys

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
agile is where you basically do waterfall but break down the waterfall bits into bits that can ostensibly be done over 1-2 weeks. at the end you poo poo out a product with obvious flaws that could have been caught in about 3 minutes had anyone actually tried to use the thing, rather than just confirming that tests pass.

this garbage is then provided to customers and will basically remain as originally written forever while engineering teams move onto the next block of sprints to produce new flawed things, most of which will only be used by the one customer who screamed real loud about really really needing something that they will likely also cease using after the one person there who wanted it leaves or moves into management

eventually some of the garbage might be replaced with complete rewrites that try to improve on some of the more egregious bad design decisions while introducing a suite of new ones.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

planning poker except its more like russian roulette. spin the cylinder and see which story comes in around estimated and which one blows your loving head off.

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
think we're gonna have to push this thread to the next sprint

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

power botton posted:

bacon. nancy pelosi clapbacks. updating the config page UI.

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KDE Perry posted:

think we're gonna have to push this thread to the next sprint

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Y'all have worked in some bad shops lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004