Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

President Beep posted:

i need a pill that will give me lots of energy and make me feel happy all the time. which one is that?

That pills name is Jesus, son, and you can refill your prescription at church every Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

rotor posted:

That pills name is Jesus, son, and you can refill your prescription at church every Sunday.

i dont think that pills name is jesus but i also dont think it comes in pill form

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no no no. i’ve seen those pills. there’s this one big like movie theater thing downtown and you go there on sundays and there’s a doctor wearing a long black dress and people line up and he puts a big white pill on everybody’s tongue.

i can’t go there anymore though because they got all bent out of shape when i raided the take a penny leave a penny tray that was getting passed around.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤨

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

those aren't pills, they're placebos. next sunday they'll let you eat one as long as you're not an rear end in a top hat about it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DaTroof posted:

as long as you're not an rear end in a top hat about it

hard pass.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

okay, keep being an rear end in a top hat then

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this mf said falth

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

i need a pill that will give me lots of energy and make me feel happy all the time. which one is that?

gleemonex

and all of its attendant lessons

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The Danish Agricultural agency used the word "agile" 30 times in a job listing

https://twitter.com/JensRingberg/status/1183814087349800963

Unrelated: drawing a line through the words makes a funny picture
https://twitter.com/LineHolm1/status/1184086050060324864

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Hey man my new Dev team is "agile"

What's a Dev team

Agile-nt pile of poo poo *force pushes to master*

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Agile software development comprises various approaches to software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s).[1] It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
It's a popular management fad that has some good points (mitigating some of the client issues in software development).

It also leads to:

- Poor/Non existent documentation
- lovely 'MVPs' that are aggressively disrespectful of the paying customer's time
- Excusing a distinct lack of vision or guiding philosophy beyond 'iterate quickly', resulting in often mediocre output that, at best, optimises towards a specific local maxima of performance
- Promotes a soul destroying alienation from the main motivation that gets developers interested in the profession in the firs place (building cool stuff/being creative with systems).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

MVP has started being used all the time by our project managers, like it somehow means something by itself.

they get super pissed off when people go "well the minimum for it to be viable is it must do everything we need it to, otherwise its useless" because it doesn't fit the costs or dates that they made up because they haven't bothered to understand the complexity of what's involved

edit: the other one is "what's the exam question we're trying to solve?" idk man you invited me to this bullshit meeting you tell me

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

edit: the other one is "what's the exam question we're trying to solve?" idk man you invited me to this bullshit meeting you tell me

lol what? that's a new one

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

jeebus bob posted:

The Danish Agricultural agency used the word "agile" 30 times in a job listing

https://twitter.com/JensRingberg/status/1183814087349800963

Unrelated: drawing a line through the words makes a funny picture
https://twitter.com/LineHolm1/status/1184086050060324864

adding the agile adjective everywhere to everything is how you reach peak agility

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

so is “synergy” out then or what?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

...Get the rope, boys!

:clint:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hey, i’m just asking questions here.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hammerite posted:

dismissed as in "ok go away and do your work now" or dismissed as in fired

I wish it had been the latter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

hey, i’m just asking questions here.

jaq at your own risk

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://programming-motherfucker.com/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rotor posted:

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'm fine with agile but Minimum Viable Product is a loving cancer

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

oh dear

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

also the thing where "google does it" is somehow an argument-ending statement because google can do no wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

“viable product” is something that needs a very specific definition

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

“viable product” is something that needs a very specific definition

mvp is always just "what is the absolute shittiest thing we can possibly ship but still let Product check the box without too much lying to ourselves

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you were shipping an mvp of a bicycle, it'd be a brakeless fixie, the customers would have to buy their own tires aftermarket and the seat would be made of cardboard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and you'd complain that we should really not ship it until we can provide tires as part of the whole package because it's a lovely customer experience otherwise and some rear end in a top hat would peep "but google does that"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this poo poo sucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[butthead, to zed shaw] settle down, beavis

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

and you'd complain that we should really not ship it until we can provide tires as part of the whole package because it's a lovely customer experience otherwise and some rear end in a top hat would peep "but google does that"

some of our customers prefer to install their own tires, we're just giving them more choices

*6 months later, grudgingly* great news, we're going to include tires in the next update at no additional charge! tires should be shipping by the end of next quarter

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
mvp means my pet features but not your pet features

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echi to be made pharmaczar

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Of course its Zed Shaw

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

suffix posted:

mvp means my pet features but not your pet features

sure, if by ‘pet feature’ you mean only ‘as cheap and quick as possible’. The load bearing word is minimum for management, viability is a largely subjective term.

How do sprints actually turn out anything that resembles ‘polish’ instead of, yknow, half broken features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

a neurotic ai posted:

sure, if by ‘pet feature’ you mean only ‘as cheap and quick as possible’. The load bearing word is minimum for management, viability is a largely subjective term.

How do sprints actually turn out anything that resembles ‘polish’ instead of, yknow, half broken features?

oldjob team used to reserve 20% of all story points for engineering and honestly thats where most of the polishing happened.