Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Soul Reaver posted:

It's an excuse to do inadequate planning.

"Oh yeah, we have to remain agile to our customer's needs. Let's not spend focused effort up front to get a full accounting of the exact requirements and instead just sit back and accept doing a half-assed job there so that when inevitably the customer comes up with more stuff we missed the first time (because we didn't ask/scope properly) we can pretend like that's part of our strategy rather than us being lovely at planning things."

you're dumb.

i don't know what your concept of "adequate" planning is but nobody is capable of getting all of the requirements from the client up front and having them all be correct. that is partly because you don't know what questions to ask and partly because the people you are designing the software for are busy doing their actual jobs, and not that good at thinking about what they actually require or about what will and won't be obvious to someone approaching it from the perspective of a non-SME. that's why agile in its most essential form, i.e.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

... the relatively obvious idea that, if you don't know exactly what your potential customers want, you should show them the software and ask "like this?" early and often during the development process

is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

power botton posted:

ok i get how agile is sold but what lets focus on reality here

???

My professional experience of agile is that it matches the description in DELETE CASCADE's post.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

my professional experience is that poo poo never gets shown to customers (or even to sales) until it's far too late for anyone to give any input, and that the primary role of agile is to make sure everyone has 1-2 deadlines a week to meet

ok. I do not know whether that is technically agile TM or not but it sounds bad.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

El Mero Mero posted:

In my government office there was a manager who got incredibly excited about "doing a standup" so she had a meeting to find a time when everyone could standup and then a month later we stood up while she made some announcements and then dismissed us.

dismissed as in "ok go away and do your work now" or dismissed as in fired

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

edit: the other one is "what's the exam question we're trying to solve?" idk man you invited me to this bullshit meeting you tell me

lol what? that's a new one