Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Just did a quick glance - E5540s were released in Jan 2009. Is this database server from 2009? If that's the case, and based on what you are saying it's pretty unlikely there is any SSD based storage going on here.

I think you're going down a reasonable path here. If they have two RAID arrays on the database server and the database and logs sit on one then you can likely improve performance by moving logs to the other. C drive D drive whatever.... I might have words with the original designer about it if I knew them but for a small office like that with likely an equally small IT budget I wouldn't necessarily say it's wrong or bad to use the C drive as a viable place for stuff.

Also, server from 2009??? I think you sorta need to at least broach the subject of an overhaul of their tech. You could likely replace all of those old servers with 2 new ones built exactly the same and use Hyper-V to mirror one to the other. Their entire environment running on one physical server basically and they would have a hell of a lot more fault tolerance than they have today. Or, ya know, skip the cap-ex and just go cloud... more expensive in the long run but easier to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU