Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

coinbase is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of the post above yours :v:

yes but did that tell you reorg research is blasting out email alerts on coin base to bankruptcy professionals :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Now I understand.
https://twitter.com/richard_normal/status/1536362280287444993

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

yes but did that tell you reorg research is blasting out email alerts on coin base to bankruptcy professionals :v:

why're they notifying coiners about that?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

I SHALL SIPHON ALL VALUE FROM EVERY CURRENCY OF THIS WORLD

ALL SHALL HODL ME... AND DESPAIR

look at you, hodler
a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you try to get up off the couch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
frog blast the vent coin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

evilweasel posted:

coin base is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of news for companies that might go bankrupt soon
FuckedCompany is back??

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

quote:

Affected employees received a notification from HR. If so, the memo was sent to a personal email as Coinbase cut off access to the company systems. Armstrong called it the “only practical choice” given the number of employees with access to customer information, and a way to “ensure not even a single person made a rash decision that harmed the business or themselves.”

1) Lol at not even telling people to their face, just switching off their account and leaving a note in their Gmail.

2) Why do such a huge number of your employees have access to customer information?

2a) Further lol at management being like "oh yeah the people we hired would totally torch this place on the way out"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mrmcd posted:

2a) Further lol at management being like "oh yeah the people we hired would totally torch this place on the way out and we wanted to get there first"

ftfy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"I am not corn! Corn is not my net worth! I am not shrinking into a corncob!"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

2a) Further lol at management being like "oh yeah the people we hired would totally torch this place on the way out"

hell i'd torch the place on the way in if they hired me

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i love how when bitcoin is going up it's all "we're going to the moon and nocoiners will have to beg us for scraps" and when bitcoin is going down it's all "the real bitcoin price was the friends we made along the way"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
looks like "to the moon" is the new "rock star" in recruiting :rolleyes:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Qwertycoatl posted:

i love how when bitcoin is going up it's all "we're going to the moon and nocoiners will have to beg us for scraps" and when bitcoin is going down it's all "the real bitcoin price was the friends we made along the way"

number go up: no coins for you? enjoy being poor, fucker

number go down: why all this focus on number? very unseemly imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

my name is ozymandao, coin of coins, look upon my balance sheet ye holders and despair!
and don't forget to like and subscribe

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So far we have

- Crypto.com firing 5% of their workforce
- Coinbase firing 18%
- Binance halting withdrawals for two hours
- Celcius imploding

On the last point it's looking like Celcius took everyone's ether then locked it away in ways that mean they potentially won't get access to them for a year

https://twitter.com/yieldchad/status/1533529209137684485?t=gltFE8JMKJ3K3Hqhnfvphw&s=19

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes: but cropped like this you miss out on

Proceeded to poo poo the bed with the lights on

I'm 100% sure someone has made an edit of this three-panel but changed 'stock market' to 'Bitcoin' in the past.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:hmmyes: but cropped like this you miss out on

Proceeded to poo poo the bed with the lights on

I'm 100% sure someone has made an edit of this three-panel but changed 'stock market' to 'Bitcoin' in the past.

i didn't want to make the edit so i cropped it out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Coinbase is having a good time:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1536728563877138433?s=20&t=xZipomm1Ffgbvv7ar4Sqsg

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1536730051256934400?s=20&t=ofzIs3FpR9UYJwtQd8LcUQ

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1536731447960141825?s=20&t=xZipomm1Ffgbvv7ar4Sqsg

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jonwu_/status/1536476104986267648

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

On the last point it's looking like Celcius took everyone's ether then locked it away in ways that mean they potentially won't get access to them for a year

https://twitter.com/yieldchad/status/1533529209137684485?t=gltFE8JMKJ3K3Hqhnfvphw&s=19

if i'm understanding this right, they've locked it up so that it can't be recovered until ether goes proof of stake, ie the event that's been totally going to happen in a few months for years now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Qwertycoatl posted:

if i'm understanding this right, they've locked it up so that it can't be recovered until ether goes proof of stake, ie the event that's been totally going to happen in a few months for years now

until ether goes proof of stake +12 months, so even if that happened tomorrow they're still hosed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

haveblue posted:

until ether goes proof of stake +12 months, so even if that happened tomorrow they're still hosed

yup.

they also appear to have around 90% of steth so they can't even offload it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that all sounds like a very complicated tapestry of fraud and flimflam so i'm going to go with this description instead

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sapozhnik posted:

that all sounds like a very complicated tapestry of fraud and flimflam so i'm going to go with this description instead

it's a whole heap of flimflam and fraud. gobs of it.

cryptobros get startup money, get lots of investor money, vastly overleverage themselves, house of cards has collapsed. everyone is hosed, and the cryptobros are hoping to get away with it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well when the flimflam men say it's the 99% against the 1% they aren't lying

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The worst thing you can do with the money in your crypto company is use it to buy crypto, you’re doubling down on the scam!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

frog blast the vent coin

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mrmcd posted:

2) Why do such a huge number of your employees have access to customer information?

a real bank or financial institution would have support and service reps connected to customer account data and those pools could be rather large. they'd also have allotments aside from nuking the entire employee account and have them tiered to limit editing and viewing

i do wonder what the plan is for the existing employees. if they didn't trust the ones they fired to not burn it all down now, why should they trust the current ones?

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 14, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

customer: hi, i can't withdraw funds, what's up?

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing your account. please hodl

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Golden Bee posted:

The worst thing you can do with the money in your crypto company is use it to buy crypto, you’re doubling down on the scam!

and these geniuses, they didn't even buy crypto. they bought something that will turn into crypto if and only if etherium changes the core method that they operate which has the same likelihood of occurrence as grrm finishing the asoiaf series.

they bought so much of this putative-cryptocoin that they can't even sell it if they wanted to because there simply is no one interested in buying it. they could liquidate maybe 10% of their holdings which would also further drive the gulf between the not-yet-a-coin and the coin it might become. as of the tweetstorm, it's currently at a ratio of 0.96.

if eth forked tomorrow, in a year they'd get all of their different-eth in eth, but this would also just be a fork and the original proof of work eth would continue going while stake eth becomes the new bitcoin cash that they yell at you about for abbreviating bcc.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1536715362422628353

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

my employer has dozens of different systems that have access control lists which can be configured any number of ways with a single employee sign-on, so the notion that a large tech company can't figure out how to give access to email while disabling more sensitive systems is laughable. the only explanation is sociopathic laziness.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Agile Vector posted:

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing your account. please hodl

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing my account. please hodl

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

coinbase rep: hmm, it looks like i'm having trouble accessing my account. please hodl

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

a real bank or financial institution would have support and service reps connected to customer account data and those pools could be rather large. they'd also have allotments aside from nuking the entire employee account and have them tiered to limit editing and viewing

They also have, and this is wild, mechanisms to undo bad transactions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tima posted:

"Your accounts are being hodl'd. Do not resist"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

tima posted:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kw0134 posted:

my employer has dozens of different systems that have access control lists which can be configured any number of ways with a single employee sign-on, so the notion that a large tech company can't figure out how to give access to email while disabling more sensitive systems is laughable. the only explanation is sociopathic laziness.

i think they're not really a large tech company. they're a small tech company which has been hiring over 1000 new people every year without actually going through the normal company growth process. so you have all the immature systems and lack of structure of a new startup, with a few thousand people milling around not knowing what they're supposed to be working on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kw0134 posted:

this isn't cheap to do properly, when I worked in wealth management making sure no employee could see stuff they weren't supposed to was about 1/3 the work of any given project

probably the most extreme case though