Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the block went in loving hard on binance's bullshit

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/48112/setting-the-record-straight-on-our-binance-reporting

ben from decrypt helped edit it, though they took out ben's harsher additions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Vanity Fair has a nice piece on QuadrigaCX

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11/the-strange-tale-of-quadriga-gerald-cotten

no new news, but collects it all in one place for a general audience

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
number go up: YOU WILL ALL BE MY NOCOINER SLAVES

number go down:

https://twitter.com/twobitidiot/status/1199134168136990720

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Bitcoin hodlers spent the last year talking up market narratives as to why bitcoin will go THROUGH THE ROOF and generate retail interest. Then the narrative fails, and they just ... never mention it again!

e.g. Bakkt futures

what other examples are there from the past year?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

hey fisting by many, is this original? I posted it to /r/buttcoin cos someone tweeted it, but would like to give the original source if possible

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Boxturret posted:

just a reminder that for fross and other legal things mark is usually the one paying for and releasing the court transcripts

this is more evidence of his deep and fundamental rightness: supplying us with more comedy gold

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
at least mexican drug lords aren't libertarians

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
There is now a Lightning Network ATM! It's made of cardboard. Literally.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

you'll be 0% surprised that this is 100% the usual bullshit

How it works:

quote:

Earlier this year, a Boeing 777-300 aircraft, bound for Los Angeles Airport (LAX) departing from Auckland (AKL), carried out a proof of concept centred around the simulation of a broken cabin part. Upon reaching cruising altitude, the crew radioed back to the Air New Zealand maintenance facility in Auckland to report a Business Premier bumper part - which sits between seat and monitor to ensure the seat isn’t damaged when the screen is pushed back to default position - needed replacing.

The maintenance team used its access to a digital catalogue of parts uploaded by Air New Zealand’s MRO provider, Singapore-based ST Engineering, and ordered a replacement component. ST Engineering identified the nearest certified 3D printing system to where the passenger plane was due to land and pushed the order through for Moog Aircraft Group to additively manufacture. This all happens at approximately 1am Pacific Time. By 7am, the mobile printer is deployed, printing the part ready for use well before the aircraft lands at 11am. Within 30 minutes of being on the tarmac, the part is replaced, and the plane can now complete its three more scheduled trips before returning to Auckland.

"but" you ask "this is just sending messages via computer. what does the blockchain bit do?"

quote:

Moog’s answer to this hypothetical, yet likely scenario is VeriPart, the programme which catalogued digital files of parts for Air New Zealand to access during the failed part simulation. This demonstration of the VeriPart programme validates Moog’s goal of creating a digital marketplace that is open to all part suppliers. VeriPart is a private permissioned environment, meaning the intellectual property of supplies is protected by encryption so only those with access can get information on parts. The need for physical inventory is taken away, parts can be requested on-demand, both in remote locations via mobile devices and with workstations on the shop floor. Meanwhile, Ethereum blockchain technology is ensuring traceability of every step of the process, from the design and production of parts, to the journey it takes from conception through to installation.

the only bit of the blockchain that does anything is: transactions are logged.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Soricidus posted:

what happened to the petro

I realise leaving the house and talking to people is cheating, but it can pay off

on thursday I spoke to an actual Venezuelan (who is a big fan of my book, so obviously an intelligent gentleman of taste)

the real use case for cryptos would be expat Venezuelans sending money - meaning dollars - home.

this is apparently a fraught endeavour - you send stuff from account to account, there's a step or two that's "i know a guy", etc

... and this is still easier than it would be with bitcoins

and - there is no evidence that petros even exist. you cannot buy one. they're legal tender, but first get one fucko.

Gazpacho posted:

among other things, the us treasury dropped the hammer on the russian bank that was going to underwrite it

ooh got details on this? I missed it

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
obviously you're dreaming about touching the poop, but in a businesslike manner

in the meantime, fresh poop! NY AG responds to Tether's lovely appeal, and Tether responds with a lovely "nuh-uh!!" document! I wrote 'em up, so there.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
tbf i can see a strong argument for exhuming his corpse to put it on trial

wonder if cotten replaced the body with two pillows and a balloon with a smiley face drawn on it

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

fins posted:

hey divabot, what's the deal with revolut? looks like a shitshow waiting to happen, but much coolaid has been imbibed!

no idea actually - a "fintech", but regulated as a bank

that said they play fast and loose, e.g. loving people around on fraudulent charges and Silicon Valley quality customer service

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
so, uh, the kraken exchange.

let me tell you, the 100% best bit of this crypto journalist gig, is when someone sends me the poo poo.

say after me: holy alleged poo poo.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the Kraken allegations have made the mainstream press in Wyoming!

loving whoops:

quote:

Wyoming’s banking commissioner, Albert Forkner, said the state was taking the matter seriously.

“Protecting Wyoming is my number one priority,” he said in a statement to the Star-Tribune. “The allegations made in the lawsuit are serious, but unproven at this stage. As part of our bank chartering process, the Division of Banking and our federal colleagues will conduct a thoughtful investigation into the lawsuit. If Kraken applies for a SPDI charter, they must meet our rigorous standards for the prevention of money laundering and sanctions violations. They won’t do business in Wyoming unless the allegations are proven to be false.”

Kraken — a key player in the cryptocurrency movement — has been keen on building up a presence in Wyoming, which recently passed legislation allowing for the creation of Special Purpose Depository Institutions – or “SPDI” banks – within Wyoming’s borders. Kraken recently sponsored a “hackathon” at the University of Wyoming whose panelists promoted the benefits of doing business in Wyoming, and was one of a handful of firms rumored to be seeking licensure from the state to operate one of these banks.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh I did my debate with Jimmy Song on the exciting question of whether BITCOIN WILL BE A GLOBAL STORE OF VALUE BY 2040.

you can listen if you like

there's also a poll, which you should vote in according to careful listening for an hour and thinking deeply on the ideas therein

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
a heartwarming twitter thread, and very buttcoin - do click through

https://twitter.com/KyleSGibson/status/1209167950827012096

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
nah wasn't wikipedia, it was mozilla - from the second-best book ever written about bitcoin (because the first is still "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" from 1841):

I posted:

The Mozilla Foundation, the charity that develops the Firefox web browser, began accepting Bitcoin donations for their end of 2014 campaign. This wasn’t good enough for the advocates: they demanded Mozilla include Bitcoin prominently on the primary donation page! With millions of page views, it was quite easy to run an A/B test, where you serve a different version of the page to a fraction of the viewers and can directly compare the effects of the two versions. The A/B test showed that the text “Donate with Bitcoin” dropped revenue per visitor by 7.5%; adding the text would have lost them $140,000 over the campaign, for the sake of a few thousand dollars in Bitcoin. The Bitcoin community, of course, claimed that this literal direct measurement was somehow statistically bogus, listing objections that showed they didn’t understand what an A/B test was.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote up DeFi, in case you ever wondered what the gently caress it was. You'll be loving amazed to discover it's a scam for repeat suckers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Midjack posted:

i appreciated the source marking and didn’t find it clunky.

also lolling at the typo “mocdeled” because i feel like the term “mockdeling” has some applications in the space.

i really hate it, but yours makes 3/3 reader responses that have been positive, so ...

oh here's that FT article I referenced, archive copy. I wrote this DeFi article (b) because Colin's blog post was funny but (a) because of the FT article, because these fuckers are marketing this bullshit to retail, and not just to the thorougly deserving degenerate day traders.

I saw the following "how DeFi works" diagram in the FT and my first thought was "FAUXTON would see this and absolutely poo poo, and try to get everyone involved sent to jail ASAP"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
here, this is sorta batshit (from my blog) - use case found for bitcoin

also, here is MY NEW FAVOURITE CRYPTO DIAGRAM EVER: how defi works. Tag yourselves.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
oh hey, remember how Telegram said Grams would be there for EVERY TELEGRAM USER??? yeah, not so much.

I say there that disappointed Gram investors may have a "robust attitude to perceived shenanigans" - by which I mean "you fuckwits, you didn't just piss off the russian mafia did you."

In other news, Craig Wright wins some and loses some (PDF) - and he has until 3 Feb to produce a bonded courier. Or else.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mojo1701a posted:

Well, it finally happened. I had to have this stuff included in my final CPA course:

oh no

and i bet it's not even "how to get anyone touching this stuff sent directly to jail"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Wikipedia has a crappy internal newsletter called the Signpost, and the editor's been bugging me for most of the past year to write something about cryptos on Wikipedia for it. I finally drafted something. Mostly it's for my fellow Wikipedia editors, but normal humans should be able to understand the jargon - suggestions welcomed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
hey, how pissed off are canadian regulators about Quadriga collapsing? And causing a $200m financial disaster in their own back yard? Which they then got poo poo about from the mainstream media for half a year?

well, they've just decided that if an exchange holds coins you buy - instead of delivering them to you immediately - then the exchange is under securities regulation!

(my writeup)

So, remaining Canadian exchanges, you better be calling up right now!

this will be especially fun, cos international regulators copy each other all the time. And none of them want a Quadriga in their back yard either.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sniep posted:

After reading this entire thread, I don't think bitcoin is so great - either as a value store or currency exchange. I'd recommend to divest of or avoid this "crypto currency"

:how:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
my article is up on how and why crypto spammers on Wikipedia can just gently caress off. i also did a blog post about the article. feel free to spread either far and wide.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
holy crap, the Massive Adoption conference and its organiser

my writeup here

I tried not to be unduly cruel - I have bitter experience of what people with untreated bipolar are like with money. but jesus, the logo was literally a fire festival

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Shame Boy posted:

etherium's programming language was literally designed by a 16 year old and people use it to handle large amounts of what they claim is money, that's basically all you need to know about it

sadly no, Christian Reitwiessner is an actual Ph.D computer scientist, i.e. someone who 100% should have known better and did it anyway

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Azathoth posted:

just get them to implement a pay-up-front policy for anything crypto related, with the proposal as proof. that should shut down 99% of crypto poo poo

can confirm: the way to make crypto idiots vanish like morning dew is to take cash up front only

hell, just saying "not set up for crypto sorry but we sure do take dollars" is often enough

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Bitcoin as an Alice, Bob and Eve story:

bob is a white libertarian male and therefore a loving idiot

alice offers to protect bob from eve

alice and eve split the take

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
SEC commissioner Hester Peirce has proposed a dumbass "safe harbor" scheme for ICOs. I'm sure that'll go loving great.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm so sick of these people constantly shilling, and they aren't even shilling to me. I cannot fathom how exhausted jimmy wales must be.

i corrupted him for the nocoiner army before my book was even released

(we know each other from wikipedia since way back when)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Another example of Twitter's terrible offences against free speech and freedom of expression and ahahahahahahahahaaahahahahhahhaa cough excuse me freedom of cryptocurrency promotion and

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

What did he do?

dunno what offence he tweeted, but he's back now

chiz chiz

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/AParodiano/status/1228115216539406336

suspended as suspected bot, no longer a blue tick

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
but, coin??

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Jim Aylward from crypto project London Football Exchange turns out to be multiply convicted fraudster James Abbass Biniaz - crypto guy who turns out to be a serial scammer? shocked, shocked https://www.6pr.com.au/podcast/exclusive-investigation-lfe-sued-for-us2-2m-and-who-is-jim-aylward/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
last chance to buy below 100k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
bitcoiin goooood byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2020-42