Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

has bitcoin solved a real world problem yet?

I don't know; was "how do we get people around the world to waste tons of energy for no gain to anyone" a problem that needed solving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wait, one ice cream shop in Berlin has decided to accept Bitcoin? This changes everything!

Lambert fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 22, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Reddit says that I need to have patience, and that a year from now things will look significantly better. And even more so 2021!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Draper should get back to trying to break California up into six separate states instead of commenting about Bitscoin

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

It's back. In pog bitcoin form.

Most ransomware viruses do literally nothing, and as with Melon Husk giveaways the idea is to get the dumbest person who is willing to part with their money.

Plenty of ransomware encrypts your files on the drive, as tons of companies (and hospitals!) have learned recently.

And many of them decrypt for Bitcoin, but many of them also don't.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

now that trump is onboard with the entire “failing to do something means it’s not a crime” thing maybe it’ll work!

Ross should have commited war crimes, would have greatly increased his chances at an orange pardon.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Did Derek Smart ever finish his own crowdfunding project?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

orange juche posted:

Google News told me that a war with Iran would make Buttcoin go to the moon.

Those news stories are always great, where journalists attribute the latest pump/dump movement to whatever is going on in the world at the moment, even though there's unlikely to be any relation.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

...! posted:

is iota still shut off because of the hack?

Seems that way. Iota was thoroughly owned:
https://twitter.com/ercwl/status/1232648421351264256

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Wutang-Yutani posted:

I have an honest Bitcoin question I get completely different answers on by trying to Google it:
Can the person you send Bitcoins to see where they came from?

Yes, every Bitcoin transaction is publicly viewable. It's an "open ledger".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I assume there's software available that correlates inputs and outputs even through mixers. This kind of stuff really isn't hard to do.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Different things are different? Whoa.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I really miss the gold ingots/woolong device/dried strawberries days of Bitcoin. Way more fun when the grafts were more creative or even sincere.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
And why would I care?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Syd Midnight posted:

that would be preferable, the mob is too reputable to use bitcoin. when the russian mafia first tried to use bitcoin wide scale to collect money from ransomware victims, bitcoins were so complicated and volatile and exchanges so dishonest and unreliable that it was a pr fiasco so damaging to their reputation that they actually had to set up technical support hotlines to give free decrypt keys to victims who were unable to pay ransoms in time because of bitcoin, and eventually adopted their own cryoptocurrency which is superior to bitcoin because it's a fiat currency backed by organized crime, kinda like real money.

if that parable doesn't answer your questions, then sure whatever straight to the mooon

They still do the live support thing, there was a talk about it at the last CCC.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bitscoins have been such a great hedge against economic turmoil so far, they'll obviously only increase in value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I remember reading all about institutional investors during the last bubble as well. Really seems like it's always the same cycle.