Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Vlad Matveev has learned the hard way how volatile cryptocurrency hedge funds can be.

The 50-year-old Muscovite invested $250,000 last year with California-based Cryptolab Capital, which targeted double-digit gains from trading crypto regardless of whether the market rose or fell. But Matveev said his investment fell 98.5 percent in value when the fund folded in this year’s coronavirus-induced turmoil.

“I don’t really know what happened,” said Matveev, a fund manager-turned-private investor. “They said they had a diversified set of strategies.”
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/crypto-hedge-funds-struggle-to-recover-from-bloodbath/

my sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rjmccall posted:

i bet you can buy a cruise ship for real cheap in the same way that you can buy a castle, i.e. it's an unending money sucking pit that takes a staff of dozens just to hold off the constant deterioration

the standard boat story of standing in a cold shower ripping up hundreds but under a sewer sluice and holding down the minus button on your bank account

i look forward to the story three years from now of an abandoned cruise ship drifting in and out of panama's territorial waters getting taken over by squatters

there was a story in gizmodo or something about how cruise lines are selling the ships for about $4m for scrap

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh lord i didn't even think about this

they're not broker-dealers so SIPA doesn't apply. they're not futures commission merchants, so commodity regulations don't apply. they're not a bank. those are the only bankruptcy regimes that give priority to "customer" claims.

god i hope they go bust that case would be loving hilarious

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he got paid more than he earned :mad:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

ransomware dried up since russia locked itself away from the world's internet and as a result crypto volume cratered and a few cashouts plus people running arbitrage attacks against dumb contracts have caused prices to plummet and a lot of idiots to have massive losses.

eh i think this is probably wrong

crypto has become insanely correlated with the nasdaq because it's the same speculative bubble. interest rates were zero, people were looking for returns, they piled into dumber and dumber poo poo. now that interest rates are rising and those bubbles are popping, crypto is as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

FB mainstream software toucher pay literally is $350k-$400k

also, employees have costs above their pay (benefits, taxes, office space and overhead, etc)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

look i don't need to win the billion dollar jackpot on the lottery tickets i bought, i will settle for the five million dollar prize

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, "tether is the most important crypto" by what measure exactly?

oh wait i know, it's "oh gently caress i dumped everything into tether"

it's capable of suddenly and sharply going to zero and blowing up the entire crypto ecosystem because it is propped up on a lie about reality that can be abruptly falsified

bitcoin is just a mass delusion so it can't as effectively suddenly collapse

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also 30% apr is insanely high for a ponzi scheme they must be loving desperate

monday should be good

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DrankSinatra posted:

I get paying depositors 30% APR for liquidity in USD, but what value does paying interest on Tether give them? If people are cashing out, who’d be happy with tether?

If you pay 30% for real money and not for tether everyone will exchange their tether for real money defeating the point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cantorsdust posted:

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/status/1525478171575033856?s=20&t=H28cq9rmYF3C_2C7VEkllQ

speculation that all of the bitcoin assets in the LFG were *shocker* not actually spent on propping up Terra but instead have vanished!

that’s a lot more clever than I thought they were

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

lately i'm into an obscure thing called "computer comedy", you probably haven't heard of it

given your posting neither have you

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sorry your posting is quite fine but you can’t set yourself up like that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i feel like i missed the ape slurp juice business and that i would very much like to read it

is there a good summary somewhere

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

in forex trading it has been empirically shown that an automated loss-exit strategy is a net positive in the long run. however, this strategy is counter to natural human behavior.

basically, if you set every trade to cash out immediately at a small loss or large gain, you'll take a lot of tiny losses but gain more than enough on winners to make up for it. however, humans suffer from what is known as the disposition effect. so when a human watches the trade, even if they set stop losses or take profits at the start of the trade, they'll cut winners too soon and hold onto losers forever if they can change their stop loss.

the people who started yelling diamond hands at others were, in large part, making sure that the bagholders they were duping kept holding the bags long enough for them to make money off of it. people on wallstreetbets aren't just jackasses off the street. a loving bloomberg terminal is tens of thousands of dollars a month. all the meme stock and crypto poo poo has been predatory from the start.

i would like to see this empirical study because as you've described it, it doesn't sound likely that it's accurate. forex is a negative-sum game (once you include the house's cut, like all commodities trading). so it seems much more likely to me that in the particular sample studied that was true, but that if you repeated the game in other samples you would get different results. that would be expected simply based on how you described it, the strategy's effectiveness would swing wildly based on how many rare "hits" you have in the sample size.

the only way you can have a net positive strategy in a net negative game like forex is if you have an information advantage (not present here, but you can have it in other circumstances like blackjack card counting), or the other side has managed to develop a strategy provably worse than average and insists on using it (and that seems unlikely).

after all if the study you're describing is true, goldman would code it into a bot and let the bot trade, as would its competitors, until all the profit from that strategy was squeezed out of the market.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out they converted all the customer money into UST, and the part about spreading their holdings across multiple stablecoins was a lie

https://twitter.com/LTTG10/status/1527163329201901568

we mainly invest in USDT, and by USDT, i mean not a penny in USDT

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

How the gently caress isn't this a security

the SEC has been kinda scared that if they prosecute crypto stuff that hasn't collapsed they'll be blamed for when it does, so they only go after stuff that already failed

this is a stupid, stupid position of course and boy have they bought themselves imminent blame for massive losses

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

the life savings losers are not the ones facing legal exposure, they're the ones taking advantage of it

I mean the people running the show were probably also diehard true believers who ate their own dog food but the lawsuits are coming from outside the building

yeah i would expect this company is rapidly going to file for bankruptcy and the creditor's committee is going to sue the bejesus out of everyone involved

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

before i decide if this is good or bad, which state is Ross in

denial

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

don't forget that if the returns go down you have to post more collateral! It's like the loans are arranged in a pyramid shape you see because......

Most of what they describe is ordinary finance stuff including the collateral part. The ponzu scheme is in that none of it is actually true.l about the returns it generates.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

oh apparently they come with usage rights now lmao

im "NFT copyright law"

bored apes say the holder of the NFT has the right to create derivative works (they don't own the ape image itself, bored apes still does, but they can create works like an animated show off of it)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol all this "analysis" is transparently just :words:, it's no more intellectually valid than a printed pamphlet about how actually aliens built the pyramids and cancer is cured by drinking vinegar as we can see from this graph

it's like they're all trying to be the David Icke of economics

technical analysis is, basically, entrail reading no matter what it's applied to and who is applying it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coinbase is paying their top legal guy 18m a year?

gently caress i gotta get one of those gigs even if it only lasts a year before it impodes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i mean, he's probably the hardest working dude at the company

how hard is it to write official policies on "don't do securities fraud" while ordering IT not to set up an email inbox for you so you can't ever be charged with knowing about all the securities fraud

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

drk posted:

acknowledging the tokens they trade are securities in an internal written policy would probably be a poor idea, since they dont follow securities regulations

who’s gonna explain that to the execs? not you, that’s for sure!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

if any of those people were satoshi, they wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut.

bitcoin wasn't made because of some futurist ideals or love of cryptography - it just used cryptography for its goal of facilitating the delivery of top quality uk model trains to california. satoshi just showed those guys his ideas because they seemed like a receptive group. the moment they started using it for criminal things and the feds started talking to people, he nuked everything.

hal finney has absolutely no problem keeping his mouth shut since 2014, about anything at all

well it might be open and he can't close it, but either way, no statements about bitcoin or anything else are passing out of it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pigbuster posted:

I've seen so many of these that it's just hit me how absurd it is that simply entering your wallet into a website is enough for them to steal everything inside it. I don't have to worry about my bank's account/routing number floating around because without my actual credentials all anyone can do with those is send me money. Do crypto wallets not have that same kind of system or are people genuinely just giving random websites their entire bank credentials just to potentially own a picture of a goblin

uh that is not true please don't go around giving out your bank account number

with the bank account and routing number you can send an ACH transaction from (not just to) an account - basically write an electronic check. you still have the banks fraud protection and it's harder to get rights to do an ACH than use a cc number but you still don't want that out there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

man, this seems like a good month to be a bankruptcy attorney who has an odd amount of knowledge about crypto. gonna have to start billing my posting on this subject to business development.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so i have trouble figuring out how he got this conclusion from the graphs, but pretend it is true

what that probably means is that all the suckers who deposited american dollars on bitfinex are about to discover that they have, in fact, decided to purchase bitcoins when this loan gets called. usually, the exchange would sell the collateral - but bitfinex, as a crypto company, is inherently long on crypto so they'll probably do a more sophisticated version of gox's "internet issues" and just decline to liquidate the bitcoins for the lenders.

it would not mean bitfinex, itself, is going to get caught holding the bag unless it, too, invests money in this "p2p lending market"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SubG posted:

bitcoin is crashing, so people are trying to sell. if nobody wants to buy, then the price goes down further until you find a greater fool with money to be parted from

what this guy is alleging is that bitfinex is letting this account, possibly a sock puppet, to buy the coins even though they don't have the cash on hand to pay for the purchases.

so basically selling your coins to the exchange is the same as selling something in a video game to a shopkeeper. the game keeps track of all the numbers and you can look at the numbers on the screen and they tell you you own a bunch of cash, but it's all just make-believe numbers in a wee database and doesn't represent actual money in the real world

this isn't right

bitfinex allows you to buy on margin using funds loaned by other market participants. those are the people who are (allegedly) financing this. bitfinex may be playing games with that lending platform to allow this to happen and to avoid it being liquidated, but as long as it's just using those suckers money, they're the ones who will end up holding the bag instead of bitfinex

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

^^^ok, well if it's on-margin then the cash still doesn't exist, right? Like 1/10th of the cash exists?

Neito posted:

Bitfinex is basically putting numbers in a database with nothing backing them. So yeah, they're just not going to let you cash out. So you have "10,000 USD" but really you have $5 and an IOU for the other 9,995. At best.

so here is what I think bitfinexed is saying is going on, based on how margin loans work and what (little) i know about bitfinex.

so first you need to understand what a secured loan is: i lend you money, you give me collateral. if you don't pay me back (you default), I own the collateral. this is much easier than the solution for an unsecured loan: I sue you, and spend a while trying to force you to pay me. the collateral is usually worth noticably more than the loan, so I'm sure when i sell it, i get all my money back. the most common example is a mortgage: you don't pay your mortgage, I own your house.

a margin loan is a secured loan with a security (or here, crypto). this is a kind of bad secured loan because the collateral can drop significantly in value. as a result, it is standard for a margin loan to have a system where if the collateral drops enough in value, that is a default unless you put up more collateral: i.e. then own your securities, even if you have been paying me.

now, the real trick you may be thinking of is you can use the stock you are buying as part of the security. so i want to buy a share of microsoft, it costs $200, i can get a margin loan against that microsoft share to get the money to buy it. obviously nobody's lending me the full $200. but perhaps someone lends me $150, and I put up $50. if the share goes up, i get all the gains - so i get 4x as much. if it drops, i suffer all the losses too - so I lose 4x as much. if it drops to, say, $170 the share probably gets sold before it hits the $150.

that's all background you have to understand. the key thing though is, if you are buying on margin, someone put up the rest of the money. it didn't come from thin air.

bitfinex offers margin loans, and it gets the cash from people who deposit Actual Dollars at bitfinex. if you have $1,000 sitting there, they say "hey you can earn free money, tick this box" and then they use your $1,000 to fund margin loans. now, this should be relatively risk-free - if crypto is collapsing, bitfinex seizes the collateral (you should have, like, $1,500 worth) and sells it before you take a loss and gives you your $1000 back.

but what bitfinexed is saying they're doing is, basically, not taking and liquidating the collateral. they're letting the margin loans ride. goldman sachs would never let you do this because they don't give a gently caress about the price of microsoft stock. they may be long, they may be short, on microsoft but institutionally they do not care, they just want their money. but bitfinex does care, it cares a lot. any crypto business inherently is long on crypto because otherwise they don't have a business. so bitfinex is letting people get short on collateral without calling their loans and letting people buy more bitcoins on margin with insufficient collateral. bitfinex is doing this to try and support the price of bitcoin.

if this works, the lenders never notice. but if it doesn't, you thought you had $1,000 in real money in bitfinex. you will wake up to find you have no money. you have crypto collateral. and if bitfinex declares a default and gives you your collateral, they probably won't sell it for you (they don't want to hurt the price of bitcoin). they'll just tell you surprise, you now own $800 worth of bitcoin, sell it yourself. sorry, now $700. sorry, actually you have a shitcoin that went to zero.

your money will have gone to the people who sold their crypto and got the money out of bitfinex. bitfinex, assuming they didn't loan their own money, will be fine. they used your money, not theirs, to try and prop up the price.

(all of this applies equally if you thought you had tether or some other "stablecoin" instead of Real Money)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

at the end of the day the big risk everyone ignored in all these dumb crypto financial things is that if you are lending real money against crypto, you are doing so with a business that is long crypto. they have to be: they're a crypto business. crypto goes to $0, they don't have a business, even if the business only generated real money and they didn't buy any crypto (and of course, they did buy crypto).

so when crypto stuff copied Real Finance ways of lending against securities, they forgot that banks just care about getting paid and they will call your loan the instant they feel insecure (even if its their client's money, not theirs). they will not let it ride because they don't want to hurt the stock. but a crypto company absolutely will let loans ride rather than liquidate collateral because if they liquidate collateral and depress prices, that hurts them.

also personally hurts all their exec's crypto "portfolios"

this is why, probably, celsius (which seems to do the same thing: make loans secured by crypto) suddenly is "halting" withdrawals

edit: also I really don't understand how the graphs bitfinexed supports his claim to know someone's buying that much bitcoin on margin, i'm just assuming that is true - but I don't know it to be true as opposed to him just misreading a graph.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 13, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

today's money stuff newsletter (https://newsletterhunt.com/newsletters/money-stuff-by-matt-levine) has some good stuff on celsius

such as, it borrowed $500 million from tether, which according to tether's own claimed financials would make tether undercollateralized if it could not be repaid

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also that celsius was paying out 17% interest rates which means it was less a dumb collateralized loan thing and more an "open and notorious ponzi scheme" thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

graph posted:

youre being r/td on the tooter op fyi

oh good another line on my posting resume, posted something worthy of being posted on twitter

now let me see what else gets posted on twitter to put that in perspective

oh

oh no

oh dear

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coin base is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of news for companies that might go bankrupt soon

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shame Boy posted:

coinbase is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of the post above yours :v:

yes but did that tell you reorg research is blasting out email alerts on coin base to bankruptcy professionals :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i expect to see this little nugget from celsius's terms of service quoted a lot in court filings imminently

"Our Earn Service allows you to earn a financing fee from Celsius, referred to as “Rewards,” in the form of Digital Assets (either in-kind, i.e., in the same Digital Asset you transfer, or in CEL Tokens, where permitted) in exchange for entering into open-ended loans of your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius under the terms hereof. If our Earn Service is available to you, upon your election, you will lend your Eligible Digital Assets to Celsius and grant Celsius all rights and title to such Digital Assets, for Celsius to use in its sole discretion while using the Earn Service."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

they also hired citi to help with restructuring. chapter 11 within a week I bet.

https://twitter.com/TickerTimeNews/status/1537113369848733696?s=20&t=D0pwOPD9IXzAS7TPAkUnXg

I've never heard of Citibank acting in this sort of role in a bankruptcy. That's a bizarre choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

the lawyers appointed citigroup to help ransack the remaining assets in the company in consulting fees

alex was right

i mean sort of, but citigroup has no expertise there which is why its odd

their expertise is more in the needing the bankruptcy help, not offering the help