Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For me, the biggest problem with MoS was that it was just so boring. You've got Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich levels of action & destruction going on, but like those filmmakers' films, it utterly fails to make one care one iota about any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Lord Bude posted:

I've always found the unpowered or more low level powered superheros to be more compelling.
I'd want Oliver's power to teleport when no one is looking.

Or maybe his ability to summon motorcycles for travel.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 23, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Malcolm is the one who can teleport

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, he did used to be Rhas Al Ghul...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

bobkatt013 posted:

Malcolm is the one who can teleport
I'm rewatching the older seasons, and Oliver straight up teleported out of a locked asylum cell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Just a quick reminder: super speed. He doesn't have it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

Just a quick reminder: super speed. He doesn't have it.

That was such a great scene. Team Arrow and their reactions to super powers are always amazing. I can't wait for Diggle's face and what it's going to do in response to all of this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That was such a great scene. Team Arrow and their reactions to super powers are always amazing. I can't wait for Diggle's face and what it's going to do in response to all of this.

I think after Elseworlds, witnessing the destruction of a universe, and meeting his time traveler son, he may have finally just accepted how to roll with the punches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I think after Elseworlds, witnessing the destruction of a universe, and meeting his time traveler son, he may have finally just accepted how to roll with the punches.

When he sees himself with a magic ring it's going to gently caress up his brain in whole new ways.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

call me weird but his wife being but one body split off from the Monitor's assistant is probably going to be a new one by him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

call me weird but his wife being but one body split off from the Monitor's assistant is probably going to be a new one by him

Most likely when they all show up at once he's going to lose it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Most likely when they all show up at once he's going to lose it.

"I am completely unsure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it's certainly piqued my interest."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

He is and they have long term plans according to his social media.

I cant remember, Haha Roger Cross been in an Arrowverse show?

Edit: This is a great photo

Routh is a beast.

He really fills out that suit well. What an awesome picture.

Also, props on the thread title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, so dork suggested it in another thread. :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I absolutely agree. He had to deal with Bryan Singer's daddy issues and obsession with Richard Donner being a surrogate father figure. But really, his performance as Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman is spot on. I'm just so glad his career rebounded on television and he showed us just how fun and funny he could be. His brief part in Scott Pilgrim didn't hurt either. I really can't express how wonderful it was to see him back in the suit again, even if it's a KC update of his film costume.

(Tyler is 100% standing on a pile of phone books)

With regard to Routh and Scott Pilgrim, if you ever get the chance, listen to the cast commentary track for the movie. I don’t even think he was supposed to be there for it, he just walks in and crashes the recording session about 20 minutes in with a bag full of hamburgers. It’s great :allears:

And he’s super enthusiastic about everything and everyone in the movie so he’s just a joy to listen to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

With regard to Routh and Scott Pilgrim, if you ever get the chance, listen to the cast commentary track for the movie. I don’t even think he was supposed to be there for it, he just walks in and crashes the recording session about 20 minutes in with a bag full of hamburgers. It’s great :allears:

And he’s super enthusiastic about everything and everyone in the movie so he’s just a joy to listen to.

He's an amazing person. I finally got to meet him last year and after I sang his praises for a few minutes he asked me some questions about my life, thanked me for the kind words and hugged me. I really wish I'd sprung for the photo op, it was such a good experience.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rhyno posted:

He's an amazing person. I finally got to meet him last year and after I sang his praises for a few minutes he asked me some questions about my life, thanked me for the kind words and hugged me. I really wish I'd sprung for the photo op, it was such a good experience.

I love hearing that he's just as much of a loveable dork in real life as in Legends.

The Lord Bude posted:

On a more general note as well I think it's really hard to keep coming up with good compelling stories for superheros that are relatively overpowered like Superman, Flash, Captain Marvel, etc. (the latter in particular is nuts if her appearances so far in the MCU are anything to go by. I'll be fascinated to see how they manage to come up with a good sequel movie for her)

That's a well known storytelling paradox with characters like Superman. A character who is basically a god, how do you go about giving them obstacles and true adversaries? And without real threats, how are they motivated? Batman and the Green Arrow can fight scores of criminal gang members, but there's always a risk involved in that they're not bulletproof, they're just really good at fighting, have an arsenal of gadgets to pacify and distract enemies, and rely on elements of surprise and tactics. Superman in the same situation could just fly in and throw the baddies into a cage made of their own melted weapons. Because of this you have classic Superman stories about fighting natural disasters, intergalactic villains with the same power level, and "weaknesses" like kryptonite.

Alan Moore tackles this phenomenon in Watchmen, with the character of Dr. Manhattan. In a world with different masked (powerless) vigilantes, a man happens to become an immortal being who can basically bend reality itself. He becomes apathetic and unmotivated, loses his empathy and ability to see purpose in any human endeavor.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 24, 2019

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I love the CW version of Superman, but boy does Routh make him look like a kid in a costume when they're in the same shot. Is it confirmed that he's playing the same Superman from Superman Returns? Because that's awesome.

Also...

Ward is expected to play a much older version of Dick Grayson

No poo poo

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I love the CW version of Superman, but boy does Routh make him look like a kid in a costume when they're in the same shot. Is it confirmed that he's playing the same Superman from Superman Returns? Because that's awesome.

My understanding is that his Superman is inspired by Kingdom Come; but whether it's Superman Returns Superman in the future or another one is unclear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's definitely playing KC Superman but we don't 100% know that he's the Returns Superman yey. It's very likely though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hey there's a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLrm7xxxlM

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well that "they're gone" from Supergirl basically confirms Earth-38 is toast. Not very shocking, ther final conflict was basically always gonna be on Earth-1.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

Well that "they're gone" from Supergirl basically confirms Earth-38 is toast. Not very shocking, ther final conflict was basically always gonna be on Earth-1.

You really think they are going to wipe out 90% of supergirls universe?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

bobkatt013 posted:

You really think they are going to wipe out 90% of supergirls universe?

Yes so they can 'fix' it by merging all of the universes/people/stuff they save into one. Sort of like the comics, but to make it easier to justify Supergirl and Batwoman to hang out or for Black Lightning and Joe to get coffee.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love that even Kingdom Come Superman is still bright and optimistic even in the face of the end of all existence everywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it, my date in the thread title is wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

drat it , Barry!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rhyno posted:

I mean, he did used to be Rhas Al Ghul...

https://youtu.be/nbMw2LPoouo

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
That reminded me that I completely forgot that Malcolm lost his hand at one point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When I stopped and realized that Crisis is the culmination of like 20 seasons of TV and probably like a 1000 hours I realized that I really don't remember half of what's happened in the Arrowverse.

Which is exactly how a comic book crossover should be. I only wish that when they reference someone or a character comes on screen a little box pops up that says "IF YOU WANT TO SEE MORE GO BACK AND CHECK OUT ARROW S4E7!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

I'll fix it when I'm at a computer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hard to believe that after all the hype and buildup the first episode of Crisis is only two weeks away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

Lex Luthor's final plan comes to fruition.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rhyno posted:

Diaz has already won.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Did Sunday’s episodes of Supergirl and Batwoman have anything to do with crisis?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think tonight's episodes were both repeats.

Nothing on Batwoman or Supergirl has appeared to directly tie into Crisis the way Flash and Arrow have. Although its possible something will that just hasn't been revealed yet.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What are you talking about? They directly mention Leviathan and the old lady tried to take that medallion away from Lena in the last episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I think tonight's episodes were both repeats.

Nothing on Batwoman or Supergirl has appeared to directly tie into Crisis the way Flash and Arrow have. Although its possible something will that just hasn't been revealed yet.

Yeah, this week is repeats do get all the shows' episode numbers to line up properly heading in to Crisis aside from Arrow and Legends, for obvious reasons. Next week's Supergirl is gonna deal with Lena and get her plot out of the way before Crisis and next week's Batwoman is going to probably square away Alice and her bullshit too. I'd be willing to wager both episodes end with a last-second scene of Lyla showing up in front of Kara and Kate and going "It's Crisis time, bitches!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vietnamwees posted:

What are you talking about? They directly mention Leviathan and the old lady tried to take that medallion away from Lena in the last episode.

As best as I can remember Leviathan is a strictly Supergirl thing so far and hasn't established any clear links to Crisis or the Monitor? Maybe I'm forgetting something?

I think there's been a lot of speculation about Supergirl's plots being subterfuge for Crisis plots. I myself was CONVINCED that Lena's plot was headed to an OMAC/Brother Eye/Checkmate tie in. But so far I don't think any of that has played out and Leviathan and Supergirl's stories seem self contained on their face.

Like I said, something COULD tie in but I agree they're probably just gonna try and tie some stuff up in house before Crisis and then go in as clean as possible. I think Leviathan will probably just be an unrelated second half plot for Supergirl. But we'll see. Point is Flash and Arrow have both directly addressed Crisis and set up characters and plot points we know will factor in. If Supergirl or Batwoman are doing any setup they're keeping it very close to the vest.

Monitor did bring J'onn's brother around so that could still pay off, but I'm starting to think that was just an excuse to get him there.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This has been bugging me: why "CWises" and not "CWisis"?