Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that's how I saw it too. Like, all the paragons were supposed to focus on the thing they stood for, and Lex replaced Superman, who was supposed to be there standing for truth. And you fuckin' know Lex Luthor wasn't focusing on truth.

I need to go back and check something all the same. He seemed pretty honest as Paragon of Truth. I mean, in the sneaky "left stuff out or answered a different question" way. But when actually confronted he seemed to be really open about however he was being evil. Of course he was still evil, but it made me wonder if he was bound to it somehow while it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

:neckbeard:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

nine-gear crow posted:

Either way, he is going to destroy every inch of his "happy ending" because he's Lex goddamn Luthor and he can't leave well enough alone, and it's going to be magical when it all comes crashing down for him.

And he'll do it ~HIIIIIIIS WAAAAAAY~

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Melissa is SO GOOD at clowning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, she is by far the funniest of the major CWDC actors. She's pretty much game for anything. They seemed to know this from the start and gave her a good amount of comedy.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Azhais posted:

Just get Ellis/Pelligrino as buddy Lucifers in it.

Add in Ray Wise for bonus points

If we're bringing in all the Lucifer's, we really need John Glover too. That dude was an amazing Satan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

If we're bringing in all the Lucifer's, we really need John Glover too. That dude was an amazing Satan.

Any reason to bring back Peter Stormare is enough for me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I have a busy week ahead of me, so could someone tell me if the new Batwomen and Supergirl episodes are worth watching, or saving for the weekend?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I have a busy week ahead of me, so could someone tell me if the new Batwomen and Supergirl episodes are worth watching, or saving for the weekend?

I'd say par for the course on both, nothing that's OMG WATCH IT NOW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not sure what worth watching means. Like they're still their own shows. There's Crisis fallout and both shows address it and deal with some changes or affects but its not like Crisis episodes or anything. We're back to regular business, more or less.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Batwoman episode title is, "How Queer Everything Is Today" so...decide for yourself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not sure what worth watching means. Like they're still their own shows. There's Crisis fallout and both shows address it and deal with some changes or affects but its not like Crisis episodes or anything. We're back to regular business, more or less.

Supergirl's new episode is basically 100% dealing with Crisis fallout from the word go, especially since one of the major facets is not only alive and well, but now on the side of angels according to the public. There's also Legion of Three Five Earths.

I'm still in the middle of Batwoman and it seems to be back on its own track.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

If you're at the point where you're asking other people if you should keep watching a TV show... just stop watching the show. You're clearly sick of it, so why torture yourself?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xelkelvos posted:

Supergirl's new episode is basically 100% dealing with Crisis fallout from the word go, especially since one of the major facets is not only alive and well, but now on the side of angels according to the public. There's also Legion of Three Five Earths.

I'm still in the middle of Batwoman and it seems to be back on its own track.

I mean, yeah, Supergirl was affected in big and obvious ways by Crisis and is dealing with the fallout (including of the less obvious variety). But also dealing with Lena and Leviathon and Brainy and all their usual stuff.

Batwoman throws a curveball.

But like... I wasn't sure if the OP was asking if it was like "Crisis Canon" or something and like... its a Supergirl episode dealing with stuff that will affect Supergirl's world. Crisis is over now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're at the point where you're asking other people if you should keep watching a TV show... just stop watching the show. You're clearly sick of it, so why torture yourself?
Well, for Batwoman, I'm hoping it will turn good. It took Legends a whole season before it found its groove.

Also, I enjoy watching them, but I'm busy right now and was determining whether to watch now or later.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that's how I saw it too. Like, all the paragons were supposed to focus on the thing they stood for, and Lex replaced Superman, who was supposed to be there standing for truth. And you fuckin' know Lex Luthor wasn't focusing on truth.

No, he's always been reasonably truthful with people—he just doesn't display his worst traits to everyone, and his absolute certainty he's doing the right thing carries him through most situations.

I mean, he told Kara to ask him point blank what he was up to and told her!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Binary Logic posted:

Batwoman episode title is, "How Queer Everything Is Today" so...decide for yourself.

So good, then?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

So good, then?

yeah. it was a little bit self-congratulatory but I think they earned it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I misread this and thought it said 'all the Luthors'. Still made sense. They even basically cast him as Lionel in the Shazam movie.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is there any way for someone outside of the US to watch all of the episodes? So far I only seem to be able to watch the one on The Flash via Netflix. I can't even get the CW app on my phone. I've heard that most of these shows are on CTV (Canada) but so far no dice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is there any way for someone outside of the US to watch all of the episodes? So far I only seem to be able to watch the one on The Flash via Netflix. I can't even get the CW app on my phone. I've heard that most of these shows are on CTV (Canada) but so far no dice.

Did you check out TV Sci-fi, formerly Space?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

For :canada:

Flash and Black Lightning* are on Netflix
Batwoman and Supergirl are on Showcase
Arrow and Legends are on CTV Sci-Fi (formerly Space)

* Flash updates the day after it airs on TV, Black Lightning puts its episodes up in full season blacks because lol CanCon, I guess?

If you have a basic cable pack that has those channels then they should be up on its On Demand service too. Though if you have a cable package that includes a CW translator channel like KTLA or WPIX that's probably the easiest way to watch without jumping through any dumb CanCon related bullshit hoops.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or maybe a VPN + CW app.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
When tv networks set out to screw you I feel it’s justified to just files it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pardon my ignorance, I'm an old US goonette and don't watch too much tv (I don't have cable, I just stream the few shows I like or use Netflix when I have the money), but:

So they shoot all these shows in Vancouver, Canukistan, but all y'all in the great white north can't stream CW? That's... stupid and unfair as gently caress.

The Lord Bude posted:

When tv networks set out to screw you I feel it’s justified to just files it.

Yeah, basically this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm an old US goonette and don't watch too much tv (I don't have cable, I just stream the few shows I like or use Netflix when I have the money), but:

So they shoot all these shows in Vancouver, Canukistan, but all y'all in the great white north can't stream CW? That's... stupid and unfair as gently caress.

Yeah, basically this.

Canada is hobbled by a set of really hosed up and antiquated copyright and "Canadian Content" or CanCon laws that basically make it a nightmare for things like streaming services and even stuff like simple DVD releases of certain companies' TV shows to make it into Canada. Rather than try to cartwheel through the giant forest of flaming laser hoops moving in random directions at the speed of light, international media companies simply take the "gently caress it" approach and either not bother with it at all or release severely hobbled versions of their services for a Canadian market.

Hence why Canadian Netflix has like a tenth the content that American Netflix does and why a lot of shows produced in Canada aren't legally available to watch in any digital format in Canada itself. One of the more recent examples has been the series Versailles, which is a Canadian co-production yet you cannot legally watch its third and final season in Canada, nor purchase it on DVD in Canada because of Canadian copyright laws.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can you buy the episodes on YouTube? I don't know if YT is as hamstrung as Netflix et al...

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wow, after working decades at a public library and constantly hearing "but mah tax dollars!" as an excuse for behaving poorly in public, this really takes the cake. So US companies shoot in Vancouver because they get mad tax breaks, but the people who live in that country and pay those taxes don't get to watch it because of Byzantine copyright laws? My mind, she is blown.

On a more humorous note, "try to cartwheel through the giant forest of flaming laser hoops moving in random directions at the speed of light" has me laughing harder than the last episode of Legends, and that's saying something.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

For :canada:

Flash and Black Lightning* are on Netflix
Batwoman and Supergirl are on Showcase
Arrow and Legends are on CTV Sci-Fi (formerly Space)

* Flash updates the day after it airs on TV, Black Lightning puts its episodes up in full season blacks because lol CanCon, I guess?

If you have a basic cable pack that has those channels then they should be up on its On Demand service too. Though if you have a cable package that includes a CW translator channel like KTLA or WPIX that's probably the easiest way to watch without jumping through any dumb CanCon related bullshit hoops.

Thanks for this...I should have mentioned that I don't have cable at all, actually. I noticed that most of the episodes seem to be up on youtube though (thanks Space Fish), so that might be the most painless way to try to do this. If that doesn't work I'll try some of the alternatives.

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 26, 2020

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I misread this and thought it said 'all the Luthors'. Still made sense. They even basically cast him as Lionel in the Shazam movie.

I didn't even think of that, but they had Ray as Superman, why not have Lionel Luthor as Lucifer as well?

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

Canada is hobbled by a set of really hosed up and antiquated copyright and "Canadian Content" or CanCon laws that basically make it a nightmare for things like streaming services and even stuff like simple DVD releases of certain companies' TV shows to make it into Canada. Rather than try to cartwheel through the giant forest of flaming laser hoops moving in random directions at the speed of light, international media companies simply take the "gently caress it" approach and either not bother with it at all or release severely hobbled versions of their services for a Canadian market.

Hence why Canadian Netflix has like a tenth the content that American Netflix does and why a lot of shows produced in Canada aren't legally available to watch in any digital format in Canada itself. One of the more recent examples has been the series Versailles, which is a Canadian co-production yet you cannot legally watch its third and final season in Canada, nor purchase it on DVD in Canada because of Canadian copyright laws.
CanCon has nothing to do with it, because those rules don’t apply to streaming services. The real problem is international licensing of broadcast and streaming rights, which is a huge clusterfuck around the world and not just in Canada. CW doesn’t have any affiliates here so they license the broadcast rights to our networks. The streaming rights are included because CW feels they can make more money by licensing instead of selling their service to Canadians directly.

A company like Netflix has to negotiate to license content for pretty much every country they operate in individually, and those rights are potentially going to be owned by different companies in each country that might prefer to keep those rights to themselves to use for their own streaming service. That’s one of the big reasons why they’ve been investing so much in producing their own content. When they own it they can stream it wherever they want.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't even think of that, but they had Ray as Superman, why not have Lionel Luthor as Lucifer as well?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Double post

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or was it a Doppelganger post????

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Brainiac 5's "That was unnecessary" after getting bola'd got a sensible chuckle out of me. How's Supergirl? Rough at the start, with a good second season and a bad third one like the rest of the CW shows (except Legends which is perfect in every way)?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vincent posted:

Rough at the start, with a good second season and a bad third one like the rest of the CW shows
Flash's first season was its best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Flash's first season was its best.

Yeah, Flash hit the ground running and then tripped and stumbled everywhere else, no puns or imagery intended. Supergirl had a rough Season 1, a really good Season 2, and a great Season 3... until the showrunner was outted for being a sexpest and threw its final set of episodes into chaos, and a whoo bad Season 4, and a passable so far Season 5.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think I agree that season 2 of Supergirl was the most consistent throughout, but I also think there's a lot to recommend Season 4, so I wouldn't necessarily call it the bad one. Cryer, Witwer, and the guy playing Otis were all great, as was Benoist as Red Daughter, plus they gave The Americans a shoutout! It's just a shame some of the messaging got a little muddled along the way, and everything involving Manchester Black and the Elite felt like trying to give J'onn something to do. I would also point out there are good things to Season One (the crossover episode, Cat Grant, Livewire, the Superman 3 episode, a Batman v Superman fight with emotional heft) it was just a very different show. Sometimes I think it's a shame they moved production away from LA, but I wouldn't trade the crossovers for non-Canadian day players.

Thinking it over, it's really noticeable that Supergirl has this weird thing where there's always a switcheroo involving the true end boss of the season with somewhere between four to five episodes of the finale, sometimes it works really well, like when Teri Hatcher showed up or Lex rolls in, and other times you get Non or the Kryptonian witches. I'm curious what they're going to pull out of their hat to undercut Leviathan this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jon Cryer elevated the material on Supergirl to a whole new level. And the general sentiment in the Supergirl thread was that he was going to suck. Quite a few complaints about his actual age too for some reason.