Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

he also once managed to nuke our entire multi-year research database AND the backups with some insanely bad SQL queries he decided to run, and if I hadn't made it my responsibility to also take redundant secondary (and tertiary) backups of our backups, we would've lost our entire research project because our redditor "database expert" turned out to be more musk than previously thought possible.

How, you ask? First he managed to nuke our entire database by writing zeroes in every column of every row,, and then, in trying to make up for his gently caress-up, of course without telling anyone about what he'd done or what he was doing, got the "copy everything from the backup to the main DB" query backwards.

Haha holy gently caress, when I was in grad school we had the (school IT mandated and maintained) server we kept our data on get corrupted and lose some of our old data somehow, and it was a huge shitshow even though we didn't really have a use for that data anymore. If we'd lost everything I think my advisor would have gone nuclear - and me and the other grad students would have been right there behind her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

They should just raise the tornadoes

Interesting that you say that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtvF7SYgw4

Welcome back, old friend.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://i.imgur.com/zqmdu4U.mp4

this does not feel safe:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scinyzn0LQ1s1ddrj.mp4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

That was always an urban legend. Overpasses are actually more dangerous because when you're not in a building or car you are at severe risk of being killed by debris.

I'm saying like Crawl up all the way into the corner between the beams.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

a primate posted:

I saw this video elsewhere and there was huge debate on whether this is bad practice. Some people were concerned that the dry loose earth would mix with the concrete, making it weak. Others said if the ground is compact enough, you can pour directly onto it without forming. I’m not a concrete guy so just said “hell yeah”.

If it was my project they would be cleaning that loose soil out of the bottom of the trench before any concrete goes in there. The spec says to remove loose material before concrete placement and they deliberately chose an installation method that creates more loose material. Show me where the slinky method is covered in ACI and then we can talk about how much loose material is too much.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Worked for a body shop where a ferarri california (the cheapes- let's say least expensive ferrari) got rear ended by a prius at like 10mph in a parking lot. Replacement damage for the plastic rear bumper cover and some other poo poo. Our cost on the unpainted bumper alone from ferrari was 15k plus shipping from Italy. They sent it in a wooden crate and it still showed up damaged. When we called to complain they said we were lucky to have been sold one at all because we're not a official ferrari bodyshop and to get hosed basically. So then we had to repair the new bumper. Just the most italian poo poo ever. I think total cost to the prius's insurance was north of 30k. Don't hit an exotic.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 28, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Whoa whoa whoa whoa
Never seem to stop comin'
Keep those rags and machines hummin'
Let me tell you, it's always cool
And the boss don't mind sometimes if you act the fool

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Preoptopus posted:

Worked for a body shop where a ferarri california (the cheapes- let's say least expensive ferrari) got rear ended by a prius at like 10mph in a parking lot. Replacement damage for the plastic rear bumper cover and some other poo poo. Our cost on the unpainted bumper alone from ferrari was 15k plus shipping from Italy. They sent it in a wooden crate and it still showed up damaged. When we called to complain they said we were lucky to have been sold one at all because we're not a official ferrari bodyshop and to get hosed basically. So then we had to repair the new bumper. Just the most italian poo poo ever. I think total cost to the prius's insurance was north of 30k. Don't hit an exotic.

I'm pretty sure that's a Lamborghini, not a Ferrari. It still would have been expensive, but Lambo has a reputation for being much more customer and business friendly compared to Ferrari, who wants to keep effectively everything in house.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Preoptopus posted:

However when it's them turning left in way of oncoming traffic, there's no need for brakes :getin:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Holy poo poo I can't stop laughing.
Poor guy but you get why I laugh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeesh, no wonder everyone complains when they're going in for a wax

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/QuH6uTF.mp4

It’s like the Water Nation version of holy poo poo piss.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dazed and confused remake looking good

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

you jerk off to this?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

`Nemesis posted:

"if it ain't right, haul it at night"

Show me the law that says you can't secure an ISO container to a flatbed with tiedown straps :colbert:

Going way beyond the brake lights is a no-no though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Preoptopus posted:

I think total cost to the prius's insurance was north of 30k. Don't hit an exotic.

It’s silly that people can put items of unlimited value and fragility on a public road and bankrupt anyone who touches them without unlimited insurance.

I’m all for making people whole on their family cars and daily drivers, but at some point, the risk should be on the guy taking his Cybertruck with known unfixable everything to Wal-Mart.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe consider driving safely if you don't want to be responsible for repairing someone else's vehicle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
These days the laws around driving appear to be more of a "vibes-based guideline" in the US so just do whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My driving record is spotless, thanks.

I don’t have to do drugs to have beliefs about reforming drug laws.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

withak posted:

Maybe consider driving safely if you don't want to be responsible for repairing someone else's vehicle.

no

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKyxf12QVo

“Maybe consider moving safely in art museums if you don’t want to pay for someone else’s artwork.”

Like O.K., but everything past the first plinth is on the person who designed the exhibit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

withak posted:

Sure, maybe in some bitch rear end commie country. But in AMERICA I am a FREE THINKER and value my FREEDOM and don't feel obligated to care about anyone else.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a Lamborghini, not a Ferrari. It still would have been expensive, but Lambo has a reputation for being much more customer and business friendly compared to Ferrari, who wants to keep effectively everything in house.

I'm aware. It just reminded me of an anecdote I was witness to. Lamborghini being a VAG product has unlimited better customer and repair shop support.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Preoptopus posted:

I'm saying like Crawl up all the way into the corner between the beams.

How can the thread forget:

Basically there are some rare overpasses you can shelter under, but most being up in the corner isn't going to save you:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/safety-overpass

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKyxf12QVo

“Maybe consider moving safely in art museums if you don’t want to pay for someone else’s artwork.”

Like O.K., but everything past the first plinth is on the person who designed the exhibit.

There are no barriers and the two standing amongst the art aren't being stopped. I assume that's so people can see and interact with the art in their own individual ways, so it's even stupider that it could be knocked over like that. It really shows how the carelessness of the worker that installed it or the vanity of a selfie-taker can instantly destroy someone's work or something of beauty. Somebody switched from sculpture to performance art that day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s silly that people can put items of unlimited value and fragility on a public road and bankrupt anyone who touches them without unlimited insurance.

I’m all for making people whole on their family cars and daily drivers, but at some point, the risk should be on the guy taking his Cybertruck with known unfixable everything to Wal-Mart.

this is a stupid fear. cars don't have "unlimited value." a cybertruck is worth costs up to $120,000 so that is the maximum your insurance will need to pay to replace it, and you are insane if you are carrying less than like half a million in liability coverage, medical bills being what they are.

being afraid of being bankrupted by an accident you caused is a valid fear in this stupid country, but that can happen whether the other person is driving a bugatti or a nissan. hence the need to carry an enormous liability policy and drive carefully.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ESDK posted:

Interesting that you say that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtvF7SYgw4

Welcome back, old friend.

That bridge's close relative near me, 10-foot-10, just got an upgrade as well.

https://6abc.com/radnor-township-pa-king-of-prussia-road-amtrak-underpass-new-detection-system/14459204/

The story's funny because it makes it sound like 11-foot-8's fancy overheight-vehicle-detection system:

quote:

Radnor Township leaders have installed an overhead vehicle detection system in hopes of stopping crashes into the Amtrak underpass on King of Prussia Road.

"I think a lot of truckers are caught off guard coming through the area and not paying attention, which results in them hitting those bridges," said Peter Murphy from Radnor.

The township's engineering department said there have been more than 100 bridge strikes between 2008 and 2021, leading to various issues.

"The traffic gets really backed up and more people don't know where to go," said Murphy.

But local leaders hope those delays and dangers will stop with the new yellow warning bar, flashing lights and pavement markings on both sides.

The $125,000 project funded by state grants and the township was completed on February 14.

It doesn't detect anything and is completely passive. There's a flashing light next to the clearance sign, they put up a big girder at bridge height set back a few feet so you smack into that instead of into the bridge itself, and then a sign hung from a chain.

That'll do it!

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 29, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

They should just lower the building instead.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/0wsj9jT.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*doink*

ARRRRR! MY GROIN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--