Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cheaper than therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I think the lack of seatbelts would probably cause you to be thrown clear of the BLEV at those speeds.

When this baby hits 888 PSI you're gonna see some serious poo poo!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nenonen posted:

When this baby hits 888 PSI you're gonna see some serious poo poo!

wikipedia posted:

any dangerous over pressure would rupture one of the joints long before the boiler shell itself could burst. The resulting leakage would relieve the boiler pressure and douse the burner with very little risk to the passenger. There is not a single documented incident of a Stanley boiler exploding.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wasn't worried so much about the boiler developing overpressure as it being damaged in a crash and suddenly being much weaker than the pressure it already contains.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta make sure your landing gear is still up to the task.

https://i.imgur.com/cqKeCWc.mp4

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo the nose wheel just castering like that.

E: I thought they broke the steering link but the rudder is also fluttering, guys pedals must have been going like the clappers

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 16, 2024

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Perestroika posted:

Sometimes you just gotta make sure your landing gear is still up to the task.

https://i.imgur.com/cqKeCWc.mp4

You can always tell a milford man naval aviator

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
theres always that one wheel on the trolley/cart

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Lone Badger posted:

I wasn't worried so much about the boiler developing overpressure as it being damaged in a crash and suddenly being much weaker than the pressure it already contains.
Steam engineering came to a safety factor allowing hitting something at full speed and flying down a hill after several instances of steam trains hitting something at full speed and flying down a hill before exploding.

They mainly went away because paying for that safety factor costs more than you lose in an ICE's inefficiency.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LimaBiker posted:

No, steam cars of this generation don't run on coal. AFAIK they on kerosine, diesel, or some similar fuel oil. But undoubtedly you gotta pump certain things by hand.

Kerosene, yes. Wikipedia says thirteen different levers and gauges.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Kerosene, yes. Wikipedia says thirteen different levers and gauges.

i love levers and gauges

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LimaBiker posted:

No, steam cars of this generation don't run on coal. AFAIK they on kerosine, diesel, or some similar fuel oil. But undoubtedly you gotta pump certain things by hand.

:mmmhmm:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s a new phobia. This is what a submarine sonar ping sounds like underwater to a group of unsuspecting scuba divers. Skip to around 40 seconds.

https://youtu.be/AaO6jQEmfoY?si=JpJpJfooI4uCbHGz

From a cracked article today:

https://www.cracked.com/article_41821_5-myths-you-believe-about-deadly-situations-thanks-to-movies.html

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a new phobia. This is what a submarine sonar ping sounds like underwater

Probably not a submarine, by the fact that it's active at all.

Commenter claims it to be a Arleigh Burke or Ticonderoga, based on the sound.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xakura posted:

Probably not a submarine, by the fact that it's active at all.

Commenter claims it to be a Arleigh Burke or Ticonderoga, based on the sound.

Submarines do have active sonar, they just don't normally use it, so its not unlikely, its just not common. But if the sub is in US waters it might use active sonar.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

anon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/C3vv39a.mp4

i'm not anonymous??? my username is right there

That's a big wrench.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

Submarines do have active sonar, they just don't normally use it, so its not unlikely, its just not common. But if the sub is in US waters it might use active sonar.

And the active sonar they typically use is much lower-frequency than that. HF sonars would only be used for things like under-ice navigation.

Might be a non-military sonar, like a fish-finder or something.

The "ping" sound that gets used in movies whenever they need a submarine sonar sound (One ping only, please) is a real submarine sonar sound, but it's the sound of a particular submarine sonar that hasn't been used since WWII. It's like how every diving plane makes a noise exactly like a Ju-87's dive siren despite the plane not having a dive siren or being a Ju-87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNcDodOwm4M

"Bears don't really growl." Then they post a video of two bears growling almost constantly while fighting.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6xVBX7S.gifv

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/C3vv39a.mp4

i'm not anonymous??? my username is right there

Morning, wood.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Byzantine posted:

i love levers and gauges

Yeah I like to know what’s going on with llots of guages but after driving a Ford Model A with manually adjustable spark timing on the steering wheel I believe there are some things you do not even want to control when driving.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Yeah I like to know what’s going on with llots of guages but after driving a Ford Model A with manually adjustable spark timing on the steering wheel I believe there are some things you do not even want to control when driving.

cars should have an engineer position with all the gauges and levers like a ww2 bomber or early jetliner

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George Lucas couldn’t imagine a flying machine without a flight engineer, but he could imagine that the flight engineer was a cute lil’ robot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

George Lucas couldn’t imagine a flying machine without a flight engineer, but he could imagine that the flight engineer was a cute lil’ robot.

:wookie:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

There's no cute robot in the tie fighters! Then again, they don't tend to survive onscreen very long

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

The one time I hope a picture is AI generated

There's a nonzero chance that those guys don't have the right amount of fingers.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

A few years back my local newspaper had a book promotion where you could buy a book with the paper for a couple of bucks. Overall they were a pretty good selection, but one of them was Dan Brown's 'Digital Fortress'. I'd read 'The Da Vinci Code' and recognised it for what it was - a delightful little fancy largely made up of elements plagiarized from New Age works of "non fiction", some of which I had also read.

But nothing could prepare me for the sheer entertainment I got from reading the passage in Fortress where they're trying to track the bad computer guys using a 'ping' command over the network and it {paraphrasing) "echoes audibly round the chamber..."

Yep, that was quite possibly the most hilarious thing I'd ever read... I think I was still chuckling when I went to sleep that night.

Never ended up finishing the book though. Didn't have to, because nothing was going to top that laugh.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's adorable :allears:

I was at a car show once and a dude drove up in one of these:

A Stanley Steamer. They were produced from 1896 to 1924. The early models could reach 75mph. The later ones, 127.

I went to a steam and gas show and it wwas amazing!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tuckahoe+steam+and+gas+show&t=newext&atb=v310-1&iax=images&ia=images

https://tuckahoesteam.org/

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Do what to a hoe's team now? I don't think I'll be clicking that thank you very much :yikes:

(edit: buddy....)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I wrecked my bike a couple of days ago, but thanks to the gloves I was wearing, no road rash on my hands!

Only a broken thumb.

This is making using my mouse at work difficult, so technically OSHA.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Uthor posted:

I wrecked my bike a couple of days ago, but thanks to the gloves I was wearing, no road rash on my hands!

Only a broken thumb.

This is making using my mouse at work difficult, so technically OSHA.

sounds like a great time to transition to the king of ergonomics, the trackball. Although, the best kind of those require functioning thumbs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vertical mouse FTW

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I switched to an mx vertical a bit ago and am going to have a hard time going back.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just use your left hand for the "stranger in the office" experience.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Vertical mouse FTW

Trackball for the even bigger win.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Vertical mice are also great if you suffer from RSI/carpal tunnel.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Vertical mouse FTW

Deteriorata posted:

Trackball for the even bigger win.

get you a man who can do both

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1785226

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/fargunk/status/1779952996677263853

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

"Bears don't really growl." Then they post a video of two bears growling almost constantly while fighting.

Um if you read the article it is pretty clear that that is not a growl because biologists have a specific definition of what growling is based on how the animal produces the sound and that might sound like growling to you but it's actually classified as grunting or roaring

DUH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Um if you read the article it is pretty clear that that is not a growl because biologists have a specific definition of what growling is based on how the animal produces the sound and that might sound like growling to you but it's actually classified as grunting or roaring

DUH

This is worse than the tomato/fruit thing.