Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Humphreys posted:

Is this supposed to be a video? Also LOL at 'POV'
POV means something else to zoomers who's zen mastery of the post COVID world has allowed them to ascend from their bodies and live life in 3rd person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.parool.nl/nieuws/al-twee-doden-dit-jaar-hoe-onveilig-is-de-tram~bd1188e1

Per kilometer (i assume vehicle-kilometer, not passenger-kilometer) 12 times as many accidents with severe consequences as with cars. Per kilometer 57 times as many deadly accidents. The number of deaths varies per year, but in 2000 7 people died in tram accidents in Amsterdam, on average it's around 3 with many more non-deaths but serious injuries.
In what way is that useful for a comparison about the danger to me? As a normal person, walking around in a city, not an insurance adjuster. The average car driver is not as careful and attentive to the traffic as the person driving a tram. This should be obvious. Stopping distance doesn't matter one bit if someone is staring at their phone.

Also, look up traffic deaths by means of transportation, I think you might have the wrong idea about the people being killed by cars each year?

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

RabbitWizard posted:

In what way is that useful for a comparison about the danger to me? As a normal person, walking around in a city, not an insurance adjuster. The average car driver is not as careful and attentive to the traffic as the person driving a tram. This should be obvious. Stopping distance doesn't matter one bit if someone is staring at their phone.

Also, look up traffic deaths by means of transportation, I think you might have the wrong idea about the people being killed by cars each year?

It is a silly metric
Public transportation is very safe

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mynameismud posted:

It is a silly metric
Public transportation is very safe

Not if a hobo stabs you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We’re talking about Amsterdam not New York

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought we were originally talking about Manchester, where the teams run across a public square with no real indication. Just rails in the pavement stones.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

I recently replaced my ancient washer/dryer set with a heat-pump ventless dryer and I will never go back.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Are those kind of things standard in America?

My dryer doesn't have an exhaust pipe.
It has a small filter at the front, that I empty between each load.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I swear anyone who thinks buses are a good approach to public mass transit needs to come to the US and try getting anywhere both on time and without smelling like diesel exhaust.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
England has entered the chat lol

I spent a week over there and didn't have to take a car once. Tube everywhere around London, train to Oxford, bus back to London. But also I was a tourist so I dunno what it's like having to deal with it on a real life basis

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wow, I did not come in here expecting to see anti trams propaganda, I thought we were better than that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

corgski posted:

I swear anyone who thinks buses are a good approach to public mass transit needs to come to the US and try getting anywhere both on time and without smelling like diesel exhaust.
Have you considered clean natural propane?

Enjoy the drive and don't smell like diesel when you arrive.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

zedprime posted:

Have you considered clean natural propane?

Enjoy the drive and don't smell like diesel when you arrive.

Sweet lady propane. Smell the street, not the heat

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

corgski posted:

The reason I gave up my car 7 years ago and never regretted it is because of Edinburgh's excellent, cheap, publicly owned, bus service. The tram service is also very useful for me since the extension was completed.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Issaries posted:

Are those kind of things standard in America?

My dryer doesn't have an exhaust pipe.
It has a small filter at the front, that I empty between each load.

They usually shoot out through a nearby wall horizontally instead of up through the roof, but yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

holtemon posted:

I spent a week over there and didn't have to take a car once. Tube everywhere around London, train to Oxford, bus back to London. But also I was a tourist so I dunno what it's like having to deal with it on a real life basis

I did a short stint in Japan doing consulting and oh my god the work culture sucks but the mass transit is the best, and took a short trip out to the countryside to hike and being able to just....go there, no car, on a train was beyond wonderful.

If the work culture was better, I'd go back in a heartbeat. And I say that as a guy who loves cars and builds them. America has absolutely failed its people by not having that sort of mass transit available.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

corgski posted:

in normal, civilized countries the buses dont vent exhaust into the cabin.

As i understand it the US public transport system is a defective facsimile made to punish the poor and convince the wealthier to move to a suburb and buy cars

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

corgski posted:

I think busses are part of a good approach to public mass transit that also involves trains, subways, trams, light rail, etc. and is of course supplemented with lots of bike paths and pedestrian spaces. They work great here.

I invite you to consider that perhaps they suck poo poo for you because they're underfunded and badly planned in your region.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

What kind of argument is 'oh yeah? You love public transit? Come try it out in the country where we deliberately hosed it and think again!'

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PurpleXVI posted:

I invite you to consider that perhaps they suck poo poo for you because they're underfunded and badly planned in your region.

Love how when something is underfunded, it becomes bad, and then people say "why do you want me to pay (via taxes) for this thing that doesn't work", and then funding is cut further.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Why would I go to a place where buses are terrible when I'm at a place where buses are pretty good?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Uthor posted:

Love how when something is underfunded, it becomes bad, and then people say "why do you want me to pay (via taxes) for this thing that doesn't work", and then funding is cut further.

This is so odd but I hate that!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Why would I go to a place where buses are terrible when I'm at a place where buses are pretty good?
it's called new game+

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Y'all are dog piling corgski for saying this:

corgski posted:

But she's specifically responding to mentally ill poster LimaBiker's statement here:

LimaBiker posted:

Amsterdam has a lot of tram-related deaths too. Rail vehicles just are a big risk in cities. I know that they're a good way to improve capacity,, and the vehicles and infra last for decades, but i'd rather have 2 buses or a double articulated bendy bus on what would otherwise be a dedicated tram track in a city, than an actual tram.

Trams are better than buses, and LimaBiker has time traveled from 1930's USA to try to convince us that streetcars are a deadly menace, but corgski is pointing out what Amsterdam would be like should LimaBiker prevail.

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 25, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wow, I did not come in here expecting to see anti trams propaganda, I thought we were better than that

Someone should report the trams-phobia to the mods.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Some of those give me the absolute willies just thinking about it. absolutely terrifying.

also

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

why does it want me to "lol" befor calling 911 though?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

By popular demand posted:

They want you to get it out of your system before you call because laughter is contagious and they don't want the dispatcher to start laughing too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Of you lol while you call, the dispatcher won't be able to understand you and lol with you

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

911, lol, this person is drowning. come collect the body, lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Little known fact, the Morse code sequence ...---... originally represented "lol" as an efficient way to communicate that someone was drowning, before it was ultimately expanded to account for emergencies in general

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

dobbymoodge posted:

But he's specifically responding to mentally ill poster LimaBiker's statement here:

Trams are better than buses, and LimaBiker has time traveled from 1930's USA to try to convince us that streetcars are a deadly menace, but corgski is pointing out what Amsterdam would be like should LimaBiker prevail.

She, and yes exactly. The green line in Boston might still suck in the ways that most US mass transit sucks but it's still night and day better than the buses in the areas it serves. The US loves buses because roads get extensive subsidies that fixed rail does not get, but they're trading lower upfront investment for lower capacity, lower throughput, and higher operating costs (or endless deferred maintenance.) Anyone who wants to rip out a perfectly functional tramway and replace it with buses or even dedicated BRT lanes is a lunatic.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

dobbymoodge posted:

But he's specifically responding to mentally ill poster LimaBiker's statement here:

Did buses in post tram death in the USA run on their own lanes separate from traffic? I don't think so? Whenever i suggest a bus, i suggest trolley buses or battery + trolley buses (so no diesel fumes), and always on their own space separate from car traffic because putting buses along cars in traffic jams is just plain old stupid. But as far as i'm aware, putting the buses between the cars is exactly what happened in the USA and obviously doesn't work. But putting trams in traffic doesn't work either. It's even worse - there are a couple of streets where trams have to wait for a couple blocks to overtake cyclists, because even in Amsterdam not every street has a separated bike lane. You either cycle in the door zone between parked cars and the tram rail, or between the tram tracks, in neither of those cases the tram can overtake because there is too little space. Thinking about some streets around Hoofddorpplein.
Being Amsterdam they're usually working on solutions to install a separate cycle path, but that takes time.

But that's not what i'm calling for. I want buses with the capacity of trams (yes they exist, Utrecht had them) on bus lanes that look and act in every single way like tram lines, except for the fact that you can stop sooner and move over a meter or two if needed.
Neither do i want anything to be demolished, it's just that places where new lines are to be developed, that they either have to make sure there are no grade crossings with vulnerable traffic (trams rolling along slightly elevated tracks with pedestrian and cycle tunnels/underpasses underneath are awesome, see Cornelis Lelylaan) or that the vehicles used are intrinsically safer and still run on their own space without cars and stuff.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 25, 2024

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

holtemon posted:

If you live and work in urban areas you can get around daily with no problem. I used public transport for everything when I lived and worked in various cities (London, Birmingham and Manchester). Now I live in the middle of nowhere I drive (the roads are poo poo though).

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

My guy genes start immediately inventing drinking games around this wicked device

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

dobbymoodge posted:

but corgski is pointing out what Amsterdam would be like should LimaBiker prevail.
Amsterdam is already like that, cause there's also a shitload of buses.

Ten crew killed after two Malaysian Navy helicopters collide in midair
"The two helicopters were practising for an aerial display at the naval base of Lumut at the time of the incident."
there's video here: https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scgruldlrE1s1ddrj.mp4
you see two helicopters crash into eachother (in a stunt display with like 8 helicopters) and then fall to the ground behind trees in the distance.
The camera person and the people around them almost get taken out by debris even though theyre very far away from the actual crash. :stare:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ban all airshows.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Amsterdam has a lot of buses yeah, they often share the dedicated tram tracks (nowadays simply called public transport lanes) wherever they are embedded in the road. Taxis, emergency services etc use them too.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Ban all airshows.

Yes, ban all jingoistic displays of powermicropeens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Especially the ones that can literally and fatally crash and burn.