Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

why in the holy gently caress would your dryer vent go up and out the roof? mine goes straight out the house right behind the dryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I can imagine if the dryer isn't near a wall abutting the outside.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yep, my dryer's in the back of my apartment, which puts it in the center of my building. The exhaust goes up and out between stories.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Antigravitas posted:

https://divernet.com/scuba-news/health-safety/ccr-scooter-divers-were-sucked-into-dam-inlet/

e: There was an Institute wide email earlier that people should not use lead lumps as doorstops. Interesting.

Found this on le reddit. Terrifying

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Peltowned

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL; the 'ol spicy vacation.

or: My Summer Vacation and How I Became An Only Child.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

holtemon posted:

Well, at least they didn't die in vain. We got ~10kJ of clean energy for the grid out of the whole tragedy

_____!
May 2, 2004

It seems like no one has clarified to our non Americans that our dryers have BOTH the exhaust and the little thing on the front (generally referred to as a lint trap). The exhaust is less for removing lint and more so you aren't super-heating your home in the summer.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

_____! posted:

It seems like no one has clarified to our non Americans that our dryers have BOTH the exhaust and the little thing on the front (generally referred to as a lint trap). The exhaust is less for removing lint and more so you aren't super-heating your home in the summer.

True but also doesn't it start backing up into the exhaust if the lint trap is full?

_____!
May 2, 2004

Yes that's why it needs to be emptied :v:.

But yeah some will get through regardless, all joking aside. I'm assuming non American dryers don't raise the temp in the house without the exhaust duct through some kind of magic.:q:

_____! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 25, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They don't, indeed. You can't make an efficient dryer if it vents hot air everywhere.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Which was a roundabout way of getting to the question of why DO our dryers here have exhaust ducts if it isn't a problem anywhere else? Obviously it has to be something stupid.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

_____! posted:

Which was a roundabout way of getting to the question of why DO our dryers here have exhaust ducts if it isn't a problem anywhere else? Obviously it has to be something stupid.

A ventless dryer takes longer and the humidity stays inside your house.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A heat pump dryer without an exhaust extracts the heat it uses from its surroundings, so it doesn't really first generate heat it then needs to get rid of. They work a bit slower though. If you don't have a place nearby to drain the collected water directly, you have to manually empty a reservoir. To some this is all an unacceptable loss of convenience. But it's mostly corporate masters deciding the American market doesn't care about the energy savings.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Leviathan Song posted:

A ventless dryer takes longer and the humidity stays inside your house.

The humidity goes down the drain. A ventless would typically be a heat pump unit. Moist air from the dryer drum passes over a cold evaporator coil which causes the moisture to condense and then drain out of the machine. The cool drier air is then heated back up by the condenser coil and this goes on until your clothes are dry.

It does take longer than just blasting your clothes with hot dry air though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Little known fact, the Morse code sequence ...---... originally represented "lol" as an efficient way to communicate that someone was drowning, before it was ultimately expanded to account for emergencies in general

It stands for "love our lord [Poseidon]".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mynameismud posted:

Getting your bicycle wheel stuck in a tram rail (and injure yourself)

Yeah but you have to consider that the Dutch don’t believe in helmets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

holtemon posted:

goddamn what a way to go out. the ultimate final waterslide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

goddamn what a way to go out. the ultimate final waterslide.

Zoomer coroner declares it to be sewerslide.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Bajaha posted:

The humidity goes down the drain. A ventless would typically be a heat pump unit. Moist air from the dryer drum passes over a cold evaporator coil which causes the moisture to condense and then drain out of the machine. The cool drier air is then heated back up by the condenser coil and this goes on until your clothes are dry.

It does take longer than just blasting your clothes with hot dry air though.

So I think it would be fair to say that all dryers require an accommodation of "exhaust" where for Americans it's air and for Euros it's water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LimaBiker posted:

But that's not what i'm calling for. I want buses with the capacity of trams (yes they exist, Utrecht had them) on bus lanes that look and act in every single way like tram lines, except for the fact that you can stop sooner and move over a meter or two if needed.

This would result in more deaths due to the pollution created by all those tires.

_____!
May 2, 2004

God drat do I love you folks. These forums loving rule.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Explosionface posted:

So I think it would be fair to say that all dryers require an accommodation of "exhaust" where for Americans it's air and for Euros it's water.

Yeah only in Europe they call it a "drain".

They call it a drain in America too when it's for water, but that's what it's called in Europe.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm in the US and have an LG all-in-one washer/dryer unit (so, a single box the size of a small front-load washer) that runs on 120v and takes about 3 hours to do a full load. There's no lint trap and no exhaust, but it does need a drain and a cold water supply; I could hook it up to a sink if my apartment didn't already have a washer/dryer hookup. It's lovely just starting a load before I leave for work and coming home to clean laundry. Real easy on my power bill too.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah only in Europe they call it a "drain".

They call it a drain in America too when it's for water, but that's what it's called in Europe.

Right, hence the quotes. Whether it's water draining for air blowing outside, they're helping the same process in different ways.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

maybe put some rails on your crazy zig zag bridge over death

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

corgski posted:

She, and yes exactly.

Noted and corrected, thanks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Explosionface posted:

You can also get one of these for $20 or less: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-in-x-5-ft-Indoor-Dryer-Vent-Kit-with-Flexible-Duct-TDIDVKHD6/203626526

You pour water into it, the dryer vents to inside the house, and all the dust hits the water and sticks to the surface. I use it once a week and in the winter you're raising the temp and humidity in your apartment instead of blasting it straight out of the house, makes a lot more sense. It's a life saver if you can't punch a hole in your house or afford a ventless.

edit: As an OSHA bit, it says not to use them with Gas Dryers, but doesn't explain why. Apparently they all have that limitation.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero VGS posted:

edit: As an OSHA bit, it says not to use them with Gas Dryers, but doesn't explain why. Apparently they all have that limitation.

Do you want to wake up in the morning or not?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

That's the joke, I mean why are they being vague instead of like "hey rear end in a top hat, don't even think of using this on a gas dryer or you're dead lol"

Fun fact though, burning natural gas doesn't actually make CO if it burns completely. That's why you can leave the oven going 10 hours. It's incomplete combustion that puts out CO.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would make too much sense for dryers to have separate vents for tumbler exhaust and combustion products.

Even if they did, you’d still not want to vent the former indoors in case there’s a crack in the heat exchanger or whatever.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

On Monday? Nah, not really

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8TdS1Sy.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Found on tumblr, from this project about coal mining in Germany https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danielchatard/niemandsland

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Can I learn this power?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aperture Priority posted:

Can I learn this power?

Not from the OSHA thread...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Found on tumblr, from this project about coal mining in Germany https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danielchatard/niemandsland

It’s truly inspiring the lengths that the Deutsche will go to to destroy their own country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

no