Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Preoptopus posted:

Ok heard lol so not gonna do that. Thanks for maybe saving my life one day.

You did not just go huddle under an overpass did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Karate Bastard posted:

Is that... a "hairsmith"?

How did you take a photo from inside dwarf fortress???
Schmied is smith, schnitt is cut.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Spicy Bed = Fun?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

In my high school chemistry class there was a dark smudge on the ceiling that the teacher said happened when he was doing the ol' "bits of sodium in water" demo and the physics teacher came in, saw the size of the sodium bits he was using and called him a wuss, so he threw in a bigger chunk to prove her wrong.
The one in my high school lab came from hooking up the gas burner supply taps to a funnel, using that with soapy water to blow big methane bubbles, then lighting them with a match on a yardstick. It makes a good fire whoosh

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

Schmied is smith, schnitt is cut.

Sooooooooooo....... should I tickle the forklift operator?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fun fact: if you want to fly your own small airplane by far the cheapest way is to build it out of a kit, because if you don't sell it or give it away, you don't need to do all the big expensive inspections. The FAA assumes that risking your own life is incentive enough to get it right

Anyway this guy did a whole youtube about building his plane, and was finally doing his first long distance flight and encountered a little problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y7ZeIcSo8

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hm.

Is the front supposed to fall off?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tunicate posted:

Fun fact: if you want to fly your own small airplane by far the cheapest way is to build it out of a kit, because if you don't sell it or give it away, you don't need to do all the big expensive inspections. The FAA assumes that risking your own life is incentive enough to get it right

I'm assuming that this one weird trick only works in the States and is not applicable elsewhere

(:sigh:)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nenonen posted:

I'm assuming that this one weird trick only works in the States and is not applicable elsewhere

Strictly speaking, you can do this anywhere you want provided you don't get caught.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That reminds me of that time some CCC people built their own submarine and were testing it in a German lake and the local authorities showed up and were very confused.

https://media.ccc.de/v/37c3-11828-how_to_build_a_submarine_and_survive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiira_(lentokone)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

The one in my high school lab came from hooking up the gas burner supply taps to a funnel, using that with soapy water to blow big methane bubbles, then lighting them with a match on a yardstick. It makes a good fire whoosh

We got that demo too

He called them "methane mambos", though instead of big bubbles, he let the methane make a soapy foam and would light it on his hand.

Or I'm conflating the methane mambos with another soapy fire demo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Tunicate posted:

Anyway this guy did a whole youtube about building his plane, and was finally doing his first long distance flight and encountered a little problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y7ZeIcSo8

Doing the Mel Gibson "FREEDOM!" scream as I careen into the ground at 140 mph

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it's not like people are going to drive into a building or whatever

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scgsfyFhlR1s1ddrj.mp4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From what i understand a lot of countries have similar carveouts for small amateur aircraft, and they're overall only like 2 or 3 times as likely to have accidents as professional built ones so :shrug:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

With how Boeing's been going, I'd rather hop a lift on someone's garage-built gyrocopter any day.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Karate Bastard posted:

hold my steering wheel

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Karate Bastard posted:

I think you're looking for the ultralights who get a simplified visual rules flying license and pinky swear not to fly over cities and then do anyways and hit buildings.

Experimental aircraft usually just drop out of the sky at take off or landing when the pilot does something right that's wrong on that aircraft, or maintenance catches up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Haarschnitt
Hair cut

Edit: beaten very badly

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/W0M2lsh.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/FaecqIt.mp4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

"watch this, do a little wiggle next to a human and the water gets warmer"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
^^^lol

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

spechtie posted:

A youtuber broke his neck, back and pelvis and shattered his right arm after he fell 25m in his paraglider flying at almost 80kmh :stare:
He's relatively okay and posted the footage himself from the hospital. Warning, there's quite some agonized screaming.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scogxkbNYP1s1ddrj.mp4

a more lighthearted video:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s5sfirTXc51s1vn29.mp4

So what happened to the parasail? Did it just fail to function and folded up due to excess speed?

Ed: "So what was the cause of this near-fatal accident?

Vella admitted that he missed a small pension knot during his routine checks before he took off, which ended up collapsing the glider while it was in the air."

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Whooping Crabs posted:

Doing the Mel Gibson "FREEDOM!" scream as I careen into the ground at 140 mph

Or John Denver screaming "ALMOST HEAVEN, CALIFORNIA" as he sped into the rock-hard sea.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now I'm curious if injuries from water impacts became more common after minecraft got popular. They're obviously not the first to give 0 fall damage from water, but teaching people to have a core strategy of deliberately placing water to jump into from infinite height is a little different

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Now I'm curious if injuries from water impacts became more common after minecraft got popular. They're obviously not the first to give 0 fall damage from water, but teaching people to have a core strategy of deliberately placing water to jump into from infinite height is a little different

People already thought that from warner brothers cartoons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when the scissor is very long

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Karate Bastard posted:

Sooooooooooo....... should I tickle the forklift operator?

While they are cutting your hair or not?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This is exactly how I would react, haha

“guarantee we have something on the ground, knocked the poo poo out our windows… got poo poo on the uh, thing…”

“gently caress”

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

hellotoothpaste posted:

“got poo poo on the uh, thing…”

“gently caress”

Not a bad thread title tbh

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

Not quite the same thing, but when I was a wee lad I jumped out of my treehouse with an umbrella because I played Lemmings

It was only an 8-ft drop or so but I didn't get hurt so I win

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/XlJ4RR1.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

that seems suboptimal

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The ~* forbidden fruit juice *~...

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

You need to see a urologist

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I'm a complete idiot, as far as I know that's just the procedure to lube this shaft thing.

that's what she said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lotta cars got derailed but they didn't get hurt