Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

In Great Yarmouth in 1845, 79 people, mostly children, were killed in the collapse of an overloaded suspension bridge as the entire town crowded to watch this:

:honk:

I had to double-check to make sure this wasn't a reference to IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Elf Who Lost His Hand in a Tragic Factory Accident is a new holiday classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinypEf1xxQ

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real tragedy about the NSW fires is the PM had to cut his trip to Hawaii short which was unfair to his kids because they were really looking forward to spending the week there!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first Christmas when I didn't want it to be Christmas, but it sure feels that way.

Edit: Thought I was in a different thread, sorry.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It becomes a bit easier to understand why everything is so different between each state if you imagine each state as a mini-nation that answers to a bigger nation, but only if the bigger nation is interested in stepping in.

That's how you get things like Texans using all of the water that's mostly under Oklahoma. A part of the aquifer is under Texas and Texas says "if you can take it, it's yours". Sorry wheat farms in Oklahoma, these Dallas golf courses won't water themselves!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

The USA is not the only federal state in the world.

Most federal nations don't also have states with their own individual armies, air forces, and navies. Seriously, the amount of local autonomy can be shocking.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Backing up into the railroad crossing gate is almost always an option. I'm sure a broken post is preferable to a broken engine.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LtStorm posted:

I really want to know if they tried again with four of these things.

https://twitter.com/DenisDionisov/status/1218447890206642176

This is the sort of problem that only Dahar Inssat can solve. They just need a motorcycle, a rocket powered propeller, and a conveyer belt full of groceries...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Just build taller chimneys.

Or lower the water table.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No, no, no; that's all wrong. It's lower the road, not lower the bridge!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Guardian shared video of a burn over in action. Thankfully, the firetruck that was caught in it had safety devices for such an emergency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDM3ir3l5M

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And if your mouth is by your genitals you have something else going on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1232561119685832704

There's been another refinery fire. We seem to have them every few months now. I have :airquote:no idea :airquote: what could have happened that caused a spike in industrial accidents.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 26, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At least it's mostly hydrogen burning instead of petroleum. Thank God Trump didn't refund the CSB like he wanted.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turns out the UK government knew from wargame exercises three years ago we didn't have ventilators or PPE in sufficient numbers for a flu-like pandemic. They knew three months ago one was coming. They didn't do anything, at all, to stock up.

So now our hospitals have staff working with pandemic patients without PPE. That's quite the OSHA.

Where can I read more about this?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How hard is it to get into things like researching human factors?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The goose also stole his glasses and his model plane.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are we sure that isn't Jerry?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I assumed it was aerogel.

Edit: Here's a video of someone firing a flamethrower at aerogel while someone stands on the other side, touching the aerogel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOoDE9rj6w&t=5s

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 8, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One side of the canal gets dredged, the other side doesn't. So even if the Ever Givens bow was completely freed the stern still might be stuck.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It takes a lot to make a truffle farm...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/american-grown-truffle-breakthrough-180977702/

quote:

In 2012, while Mycorrhiza Biotech was growing 1,100 inoculated loblolly seedlings in its greenhouse, Burwell Farms prepared two acres of ground to Isikhuemhen’s specifications. Any existing roots in the ground would already be impregnated with their own native mycorrhizal fungi, so they all had to be stripped away, down to eight feet. It took a bulldozer equipped with a massive root rake a year to comb the earth clean. Then the pH of the soil had to be raised from 5.7 to 7.3, a level that truffles love and few other organisms can tolerate. A procession of trucks plastered the ground with 15 tons of lime per acre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the point of the diverging diamond?