Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

stealie72 posted:

I want to know what special kind of magic he uses to be okay with getting shocked all the time. I may just be a wuss but I'm pretty sure my lizard brain would not let me poke myself in the face with a homemade taser.

youtube ad dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Are there large/pure enough deposits of this stuff where somebody might be getting bad exposure just from chilling in their backyard or something?

depending on what kind of stone is used in your building's construction, and depending on the geology of where you live, there may be enough natural uranium around you to fill poorly-ventilated areas like basements with radon gas

that's dangerous so far as lung cancer down the road, though, not mysterious burns appearing on your body or random bouts of bloody diarrhea or bleeding gums or hair loss

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ramsar, Iran has one of the highest levels of natural radioactivity at 10 mGy/year on average and around 200 mSv/year found in a particularly bad house (i.e. after applying weighting for type of radiation and accounting for nuclides that get trapped in your body for the long haul it's 20 times worse in said house than average in the region, and the average is already like 10 times worse than most places)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran#Radioactivity

that's obviously really bad for stochastic effects (random poo poo with probability of happening increased due to exposure, like cancers) but doesn't register as far as deterministic effects (stuff that can be immediately and directly linked to exposure)

I pulled one of my textbooks off the shelf to refresh myself on the numbers:

you need to accrue at least 2.5 Gy full body in a short time for your bone marrow to have been dosed badly enough to impact your blood cell production, leading to a depressed immune system whose effects peak in about a month. The LD50 is about 5.3 Gy, and doses above 8 Gy or so is where you start getting into "guaranteed painful and awful death" territory. Above 10 Gy your intestines are dosed badly enough that they flatten out because the stem cells that produce new lining were blown away and you start to get bad infections from that and you also get to have prolonged diarrhea while you're dying, but at least your death takes place in like a week instead of a month at that point

Hair loss starts at local doses of 3 Sv and reddening of the skin starts at 6 Sv or so, and outright burns requires local doses of over 10 Sv

edit: your death can be more prolonged than that if the medical team tries extreme treatments like bone marrow transplants and keeps you in a very sterile environment and gives you lots of antibiotics :unsmigghh:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 4, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't want to end up dying in a radiological accident but becoming another data point and the subject of an IAEA report would probably be worth more than my life would have been anyway

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

But it's *not* obviously really bad for stochastic effects: no significant ones have been observed, and there's even some evidence for hormesis. This is also the case with other areas with high natural background counts, like Guarapari in Brazil and various inhabited areas in India.

The LNT very possibly does not hold up for chronic exposures at low levels.

200 mSv is above the approximate 100 mSv dose where excess cancers start to be observed

high background is on the order of like 10 mSv not the 200 mSv hell house I was referring to

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

wesleywillis posted:

What is this from? I swear I've seen this before. Movie or tv I guess?

I'm sure you'll find a way to remember what this was from

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Real Amethyst posted:

can literally rip a human to shreds

the link and video don't indicate that this is possible

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Warthog posted:

I bought a multimeter based on EEV's recomendation but I loving hate his voice.

I don't get how people say they hate Dave's voice while the sidekick in Half-Life Alyx has essentially the same voice and was lauded for how great his voice was

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Warthog posted:

Watching Dave's videos you get to hear him squeaking non-stop for 30-40 minutes - I have yet to find a way to make a HL-NPC behave that way without cheating.

the guy in question speaks to alyx via a radio for essentially all of the game

edit: oh my god there were that many pages since I last looked here? lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Clavavisage posted:

6 months after turning 18 the USAF had me whipping a bomb lift truck around a flight line. You think i ever touched a forklift before that?

I'd like to assume you had proper training first but I bet the real answer is

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtOkO-UmuU

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 28, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

amazing; crossing the T hadn't been successfully pulled off since the battle of leyte gulf

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cartoon Man posted:

Shouldn’t they be wearing some better shoes or something? Or eye protection?

Forget it, Cartoon Man. It's China.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RabbitWizard posted:

False.

With this simple Schutzkontaktsteckdose you have 2 ways to plug in the cable if you need the cable to go the other way.

To make the first connection to your device the ground. The Schutzkontaktsteckdose does it with prongs.

^^Antigravitas :argh:

Does this have some mechanism to make it so hot and neutral are not swapped when you plug it in the other way?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I occasionally see people riding mobility scooters on the road even when there's a proper unblocked sidewalk, I just assumed it's because it makes them feel like they're driving a real vehicle

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bum the Sad posted:

Goons like to find things to feel high and mighty about.

it's weird how you in particular would say that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Platystemon posted:

The excitement is related to the current flowing through the object. That goes up with the square of the voltage, so one hundred and twenty volts is a hundred times as exciting as twelve.

Twelve volts can still get exciting if the source is capable of delivering a lot of current (car batteries are) and the object is an excellent conductor (wrenches are).

Your body isn’t a good conductor under most circumstances, so it takes more voltage to make things exciting there.

One of the profs at my university has a story of a friend of his getting the poo poo burned out of his wrist when he was helping someone out at the side of the road with a flat battery and accidentally shorted the battery with his stainless steel wristwatch. Even a short contact that was nearly instantly broken heated the watch up enough to cause a severe burn.

I found a paper on a similar incident and it doesn't look fun:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16006850/

quote:

While he was inspecting the engine compartment of the vehicle as part of a periodic check-up, he attempted to examine the battery unit manually and had his watchstrap touch the positive pole, which is close to the metal hood of the vehicle. He stated that he felt an instant shock and snapping pain at his wrist, with a visible spark in blue-red colors. He immediately pulled his hand back and tried to get rid off the watch because of pain perception. He noticed that a band of skin corresponding to the shape of the metal watchstrap was sloughed with removal of the watch.

The paper has a picture of a wristwatch-shaped patch of missing skin on the guy's wrist. Don't play with car batteries, kids

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 26, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Haha when I saw the picture I thought "that looks like Buttonville Airport" but thought that it couldn't possibly be, that there are probably a fuckton of airports in the world that look like that. Well that's actually where it was

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

ah, the rare Portuguese Man o'Work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bad Munki posted:

Dragon Unnaturally Speaking