Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

It sounds to me like the guy is being a dick for show and that their end goal was just to trash the truck. There's nobody screaming at the end about 'oh my god my poor truck' or anything. I totally did want to punch the guy talking about 'better not scratch my truck' up to that point though
It's also one of those things where you have to think "Why would anyone be filming this unless it's deliberately set up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

What the hell? No, the exact opposite. They where filming because they knew what was going to happen next and wanted it on camera.
I just realized it may not be the truck's owner filming, in which case you're right.

The kind of video I had in mind are the ones where someone is filming a perfectly everyday situation and then suddenly something random happens. Or maybe I'm underestimating the kind of mundane stuff that people will pull their phones out for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Eschatos posted:

So when was it determined that mass self driving cars are impossible with current technology? Genuinely curious.
Self driving cars are perfectly possible. There are technical challenges, but nothing insurmountable.

What's impossible is the belief that self driving cars are the solution to cities' traffic problems. The only solution to that is to make people less dependent on the car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

This is the latest version of events coming from authorities in Beirut

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1290693115976744961
Same account says one of the warehouses housed confiscated sodium nitrate which caused the second detonation.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1290698269421600770

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Ammonium nitrate on its own will happily decompose into N2, O2, and water vapor.
"Things that suddenly want to turn back into elemental nitrogen."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love how everyone just flew by the seat of their pants in the early days of nuclear science.

quote:

In Wilder’s opinion, developing the bomb’s explosive component was greatly facilitated by using self-adhesive tape just about everywhere.
Duct tape. It was duct tape.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That feeble squirt at the end makes the entire video.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BMan posted:

It was a "pressure vessel". I still don't know what the gently caress
Apparently it's a method for increasing the shelf life of fruit by pasteurizating it using extremely high pressure.

https://www.thyssenkrupp-industrial-solutions.com/high-pressure-processing/en/applications/fruits.html

e: 6,000 bar is about 87,000 psi

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.
It's a job requirement in his field.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

smug rear end lorry drivers finally get whats coming.
That lorry driver had no way of seeing the car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I googled that one and uh

Fluorine and ammonia was only the beginning
Love an engine that produces hydrogen fluoride as exhaust. Hopefully it wasn't intended as a first stage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

Extremely disappointed but not at all surprised
I'm mostly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It takes a special kind of person to see a truck start to skid across the road and speed up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GotLag posted:

Seems good to me. It's constrained to one degree of rotation, is stable in both end positions and nobody's standing underneath it.
My maternal grandparents had a similar lift on their farm, though it was professionally built. Way cheaper than a traditional conveyer and takes no space when not in use.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

If I wear anything that isn't cotton I get way hot and sweat like crazy

dog nougat posted:

Same. I live in the south. We're still going through the final dying gasps of summer here.
My friends, have you heard the good word of Linen?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The sudden realization that maybe you're not that much in a hurry anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No deaths is a giant relief because holy poo poo that looks bad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Those are rifling marks in the copper driving bands near the base of the shell, which means this shell was fired. Which likely means the fuze is armed.

... I'd choose a better place to sit. Further away. Much further away.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Neat! Thanks for looking it up. It didn't occur to me to do a reverse image search.

And those shells are made to punch through armored belts of hostile ships or ten-foot thick concrete walls of coastal forts before exploding, so they're extremely sturdy. The outer casing is probably an inch thick or more. If it splashed into the water and hit a soft sand bank it would barely scrape the paint as long as it didn't trigger the fuze.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

extremely poorly edited yes and i also can't stand the person
podcasts.txt

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The closest I ever got to being part of a serious accident was when I was behind some chucklefuck who slammed on the brakes from 120km/h (75 mph) because he spotted a speed trap, even though he was driving the speed limit.

I avoided rear ending him because I was keeping a good distance, but gently caress that guy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

See also: Smashing out windows of cars parked in front of fire hydrants, ramming cop cars.
I'm assuming that if the douchebag who parked in front of a hydrant or an emergency route tries to claim the damage on insurance, they'd likely get laughed out of the room.

Any insurance adjusters in the thread who can confirm?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

It's covered.

If stupidity was an exclusion, I would have been unemployed a looooong time ago.
Now you're making me sad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:five:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/colfox_/status/1045488547027914752

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

While it sounds like a big number, that's less than 50% overpressure compared to what it needs to handle every single time under normal conditions.

That's definitely "modest" in relative terms. The safety margin should be way higher than that.
Especially since the safety margin should be on top of the "proof pressure" which is already 20% higher than normal design pressure. So for .50 BMG which has a design pressure of about 55k psi, the proof pressure would be about 66k psi. If it blew up at 85k psi that's less than 30% safety margin.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Uthor posted:

Normalize starting filming vertically, but rotate to horizontal once you start so everything is sideways and when someone flips their device to compensate, the video starts flipping, too.
Normalize a 1:1 video format so it doesn't matter which way you hold your phone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/8Zxrn3j.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Architecture peaked with Art Deco and I’ll die on that hill.
:agreed:

Brutalism can be nice, there's been a few good examples posted here. But 95% of the time it's an uninspired rectangular block of concrete built because it was the cheapest way of doing it and brutalism is used as an excuse.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I love how often military equipment is foiled by the competency of their operators.
That's why "mil-spec" doesn't mean "exceptionally good", it just means "built tough and/or simple enough that soldiers shouldn't be able to break it."

But they'll break it anyway because there's nothing more creatively destructive than a bored soldier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An example of why you don't wear loose clothing around rotating machines.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is it supposed to do that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RabbitWizard posted:

Not necessarily bad, but dumb. If those aren't special outlets in a workshop they share the same breaker. So it won't double the amps/voltage/phases. To make this work you'd need one outlet to have 2 phases and one outlet on the third phase. This would be highly unusual.
We had an office party a few jobs ago where we hired a sound company to set up a pretty decent rig in our big assembly hall, and they needed at least a 20A fused circuit. In the area we were setting up we only had regular 10A fused outlets, so the sound guy asked for two outlets on separate circuits (fortunately they were well labeled), then hooked them up with a splitter cable like that, presumably to spread the load.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That was a good palate cleanser after the previous page. Thank you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DEF (AdBlue etc) is used to reduce the amount of nitrogen oxides in diesel exhaust by injecting it in the exhaust stream. It mainly consists of urea, i.e piss.

e:fb

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/29LJVkg.mp4

Now kith.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 20, 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

God, I would be so torn between being George Costanza at that kid's birthday party and standing around because "I gotta see this poo poo. You seeing this? What the gently caress is even happening?"
I'm assuming this is from one of the multiple roof fires Walmart suffered due to Tesla solar panels?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why is she wearing ski boots? (Those sneakers are freakin' huge.)
I imagine when wearing those stilts you want them rigidly attached to your legs so you don't break your ankles if you fall, same as with ski or motorcycle boots.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm the guy thinking he can make a standing jump from a suspended platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009