Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

These two astronauts are both veterans of multiple Shuttle missions, one was a flight test engineer and the other was a fighter pilot, and both had input on the design of the UI.

I’m not super comfortable with the touchscreen interface either, but as others have pointed out, there’s physical buttons for critical functions. With few exceptions, most astronauts or cosmonauts are just sitting there during the ascent to orbit. Watch a Soyuz launch sometime and you’ll see what I mean.

They might hit a button or two, but the entire launch-to-orbit and reentry procedure is automated and has been since basically the dawn of spaceflight; anything during launch that you can’t fix with the physical buttons on Crew Dragon is probably a scenario that triggers a mission abort anyway.

While “SCE to AUX” on Apollo 12 is a notable exception, launch procedures, automation, and spacecraft design have come a long way since 1969- along with rules like “don’t launch into a thunderstorm”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm not an expert in this, so consider this just wild speculation- but I wonder how much of a market there is really is for SSTs?

The advent of cheap and high-quality videoconferencing software and the ubiquity of fast internet seems to me like it would cover most of the "I need to go do business across the ocean, quickly" use case that dominated the clientele for Concorde.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Dunno about the camera operator, but the guy in front is very lucky the window he was looking out of was open.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxOhfiFsuc

Now, instead of a jerry can full of water, imagine that this is an 80kg human being (composed of 60% water). A rare case where real life is more spectacular than the movies.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Assuming you gave me a W68 weapon pit, a shitload of paperwork saying I could legally do whatever with it, and 10 million dollars, as a US citizen, I could probably get enough talent and enough ITAR restricted technology to take it out to the test site north of Las Vegas and put a new crater in the landscape. It's a difficult enough challenge that I'd just embezzle the cash, and get some artist to make me a really bitchin coffee table that has the two halves of the pit embedded in it.

what happens if you take a half in each hand and slam them together as hard as you can. would there be any yield or would you just give yourself the Slotin treatment

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

what effect does making fissile material dildo-shaped have on criticality. asking for a friend

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0J8wmucIbM

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

A roadcut is by its very definition producing an oversteepened slope that is out of equilibrium from the natural angle of repose of the hillside.

Rock/debris falls and increased erosion are fundamental consequences of such a thing, but the processes that actually bring said slope back into equilibrium are pretty slow, so when part of that process occurs on human timescales it catches our attention.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

In case you'd like a visualization of the number of satellites in orbit, try Stuff In Space.

And remember, that's only large, catalogued objects like rocket stages or defunct satellites. Even a pea-sized piece of debris is capable of crippling a satellite when it impacts at 17,000 miles per hour- or more, if you're going opposite directions.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

BitBasher posted:

To be fair though, there shouldn't be many counter (retrograde) rotating objects in space. There's a reason that almost everything is launched with the spin of the earth.

Sun-synchronous orbits are slightly retrograde polar orbits, and are quite popular because you pass over the same place at the same time every day.

https://twitter.com/LeoLabs_Space/status/1316410784075972609

Luckily for us, this particular collision is between two satellites going almost the complete opposite direction. Clearly, they'll just hit each other, their momentum will cancel out, and all the debris will fall straight down!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Brown Moses posted:

Forensic Architecture just put together a video reconstruction of the Beirut Port Explosion, which demonstrates how you accidentally build a giant bomb in the middle of a major city by ignoring safety regulations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s54_MF2XPk

This is from a few pages back and nothing new, but there's a special level of :stonk: to the 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate being stored in the same warehouse as 23 tons of fireworks and five rolls of detcord.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I don’t know what I expected to happen in the tank video, but it certainly wasn’t that.

(What is the white < on tanks for?)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also wouldn't it be more visible on a phone camera as a light source? Like how your phone's camera can see the light from a TV remote?

Memento posted:

Should go a weird purple colour from a large heat source, right?

Platystemon posted:

Some cameras have actually good filters for blocking infrared light. iPhone cameras are better than most in this respect.

Of course, that just changes the question to “why didn’t the camera melt?”

In addition to infrared blocking filters, the silicon in camera sensors stops being sensitive to infrared light at a wavelength around 1000nm (the red limit of visible light is somewhere around 700-750nm).

Anything longer wavelength than that- such as "thermal" IR, which is more in the 5000-15000 nm range- requires specialized sensors, like InSb or HgCdTe. If this is a thermal IR source, or even an intense near-IR source, it wouldn't necessarily show up on the camera the same way that the "very near IR" of 750-1000nm does.

I use terms like "near IR" or "thermal IR" very loosely, as every field defines infrared light differently.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 8, 2020

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://grist.org/justice/tva-kingston-coal-ash-spill-nuclear/

Here’s a “fun” one about coal ash and Oak Ridge.

quote:

In internal TVA emails, Davis said he informed Thacker that cesium-137 stopped the dredging, but he didn’t include details of its deadly effects or even a description of the substance. If containers of cesium-137 are opened, the radionuclide looks like a white powder. Jeff Brewer, a truck driver, described such a powder in an interview with me this spring. Brewer told me he was hauling ash and dirt from a newly dug ditch at the Kingston spill site when an operator in a trackhoe ripped a barrel of white powder out of the ground. The black lid of a 55-gallon drum dangled off the end of his bucket, while two or three more drums sat uncovered in the ditch below.

“Of course that powder flew everywhere, so [TVA and Jacobs supervisors] came out and tried to tell us it was dried-out diesel fuel,” Brewer told me. “My great uncle drove trucks, and I’ve been on a farm all my life. Diesel fuel doesn’t dry up like chalk powder. I don’t know what was in them barrels, but we were told to move from that area.”

quote:

According to the affidavit, a Jacobs safety manager, with the support of TVA supervisors, ordered his workers to remove personal protective equipment and destroy common dust masks. (At the onset of the cleanup, many workers had supplied their own safety gear or acquired it from Kingston’s utility room.) The supervisor allegedly stated “that the site was a CERCLA site and that if they wore dust masks or respiratory protection, it would change the status of the site.” A heavy equipment operator recalled at trial that this same safety manager once told him: “If these people knowed what was in this ash, they’d quit.” ... Only four employees ever managed to obtain Jacobs’ approval to secure and use dust masks, though records indicate that dozens asked. Court records also confirm that dust masks were destroyed on site by Jacobs supervisors. No one at the spill site ever received a respirator.

quote:

At least 27 soil and ash samples were collected from at least 20 different sites surrounding Kingston beginning January 6, 2009. The levels ranged from 84 parts per million (ppm) to 2,000 ppm. The average level was over 500 ppm, as much as 50 times the typical uranium content found in coal ash.

The next morning, when Nichols slumped back into his computer chair and refreshed TDEC’s website, he saw that the report had been changed. The high uranium readings had plummeted. Now the average uranium levels in the ash were 2.88 ppm, a tenth of the typical uranium content found in coal ash and illogically, below levels naturally occurring in soil.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Karia posted:

Oh, yes. That's extremely easy from an energy standpoint. Escape velocity for Earth is roughly 11km/s, which means that you need 62 mega Joules of energy per kilogram of material you want to yeet into orbit. So if you can get 62.1 MJ of energy from a kilogram of uranium, you're coming out ahead.

Back-of-the-envelope math suggests that you'll get on the order of 100 gigaJoules by fissioning 20% of the U235 that's in the sort of uranium you can dig out of the ground (~0.7% U235.) So well over 99.9% of the energy in the uranium can be used for other stuff and you'll still have more than enough to throw the leftover waste into the sun.

I suspect there might be other difficulties you'll encounter along the way, though...

Once you've left Earth, you still have to remove all of Earth's 30 km/s orbital velocity in order to actually drop the waste into the Sun.

It's much easier to just leave the solar system entirely, because solar escape velocity at 1 AU is like 42 km/s, and you already have ~30km/s of that by virtue of starting at Earth.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

I know Luneshot knows this, but rockets can take advantage of this discrepancy to get to the Sun the slow and cheap way.

Getting an elliptical orbit stretching to Neptune’s only takes three and quarter kilometres per second from Low Earth Orbit, and once there you’re only moving like two kilometres per second, so you can negate that and fall straight into the Sun.

True. And then again, it's nuclear waste...it's not like we're on a time limit.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

New Super Criticality Brothers U (& Knuckles)

In nuclear OSHA content, how about the Fernald Feed Materials Production Center:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernald_Feed_Materials_Production_Center

Featuring:
A large uranium processing plant is built 30-50 feet above an aquifer,

a new phrase to add to our collection: “safe geometry digestion system”,

stray puddles of nitric acid so commonplace the facility employed cobblers to fix workers’ boots,

hundreds of thousands of pounds of uranium dust released into the atmosphere,

a worker reportedly involved in whistleblowing the above has an argument with his supervisor, disappears, and his remains are discovered in a uranium processing furnace in a different building than he worked in (no foul play suspected, of course),

and a Superfund site in a pear tree.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Aren't step potentials responsible for more lightning deaths than the stroke itself?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

No, the true terror will come when parents are so accepting that they insist on holding a second, updated gender reveal party for the kid, with even bigger explosions.

Project Plowshare gender reveal

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Today I saw someone working under a car that was propped up not with jack stands or even a jack, but one (1) wheel. The rest of the car did not look balanced enough on the wooden chocks to stay put if said wheel had decided to take a vacation.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

the open ocean literally boiling with flame is the kind of poo poo that looks so cognitively dissonant that it's a little difficult to comprehend on first glance

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/GDOTEastTraffic/status/1415628773488222211

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I have never seen a fiber line. Is it the sort of thing that could be damaged even with an errant shovel, or is it robust enough that you only really need to worry about hitting it with mechanized digging equipment?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I imagine that scenario could also be very unpleasant if you made the mistake of holding a lungful of air before an explosive decompression.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

In some port cities around the Great Lakes there are a few lake freighter museum ships; they're worth seeing if you have even a mild interest in big ships.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

This might be total bullshit, but I've heard that professional racecar drivers are trained to let go of the steering wheel before hitting a wall - because upon impact, the wheel deflection can rotate the steering wheel so hard that it will shatter their wrists.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

forbidden pizza

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maybe we should start with A) continuing to reintroduce wolves and B) letting them loose on the people who kill the reintroduced wolves

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Do you want to go whitewater rafting, but absolutely hate getting wet? We have a solution for you.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Here's a long Twitter thread from the perspective of a movie armorer.

https://twitter.com/sl_huang/status/1451797888158375937

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Now that’s some Halloween-themed content right there.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It’s extra OSHA that the toxin in Gyromitra, monomethylhydrazine (MMH), is literal rocket fuel.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There were a lot of near-misses in the Shuttle program, but I can’t find any references to such an event. STS-41-B was in 1984, not 1985. There was some concern over an ice chunk on STS-41-D, but it was broken off with the robotic arm while in orbit, and that was Discovery, not Challenger.

edit: Mike Mullane does mention the tile damage incident in Riding Rockets.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 3, 2021

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Reminds me of Garry's Mod.
*Source Engine collision noises*

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm guessing helicopter. I don't think any zip line goes that high.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There's only one helmet, and the most important passenger gets to wear it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

How else are you going to store your extra cinderblocks? On the ground? Like a caveman?

Tied to a motorcycle so nobody can steal them.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Christ, that's loving awful.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

How often are JATOs actually used operationally?

Also, the U2 is pretty OSHA when at operating altitude; there’s only about 5-10 knots between going so slow you stall and going so fast you’re unstable due to transonic aerodynamics. This is colloquially known as the ”coffin corner”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/trrvvb/status/1497714299287920640

"relax"