Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's pretty goddamn OSHA that they would force dudes to just stand all clumped up and advance slowly when someone's also slowly pointing cannons at them.

This is from a few days ago, but I'm living in the past, sorry. One of the main reason to have infantry in close order is to avoid getting murdered by cavalry, which would jump at any sign of infantry units losing cohesion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

You would still have infantry fighting in loose formation, your light infantry, jaegers, chasseurs-a-pied/voltigeurs, rifles, etc, and even line infantry, circumstances permitting. But they would be dependent on having some sort of counter to being overrun by cavalry, be it rough terrain, falling back to main lines, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

Viscera is another word I had to google

Someone never played Viscera Cleanup Detail.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ixian posted:

Today's Intercept headline is: "Is the Trump cult a death cult?" so, you know, maybe a little hyperbole going on here with the Kaiser thing (which was put out by one of the local unions).

Haha, yes it is.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

OSHAen thread?

https://i.imgur.com/Y4W84wP.mp4

I swear I could never do this job. This is pants making GBS threads terrifying for me.

"Ruh-roh"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Eh that's middling for a space vehicle. One of the 17 manned Saturn missions killed all the crew and another one very nearly did.

As crewed vehicles go, I think nothing beats the Soyuz.

e: forgot about Skylab and the Apollo-Soyuz project. 22 missions total

I think his point stands though. Having no launch escape system was so weird the soviets assumed they must have one, somehow. And riding up with your heatshield exposed opened you up to enormous risk.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

You guys don't get it, getting injured is just a part of being a "maker".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Frazzbo posted:

Following correct procedure by wearing helmets, and not going onto the top step. 10/10.

I mean, they obviously know what they're doing. Sun maintenance is not some fly-by-night operation.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Would the pilot even know they had made a big oops? Landing and hopping out of your bird, scarf blowing heroically in the wind 'I thought that test run went rather well, what?' and the ground crew are 'about that...'

I mean, when the target dummies scatter and run in panic, you might get it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I think this is an awful case of British english where "tension" is supposed to mean "voltage"

Believe you'll find that the equivalent of "tension" is the word for voltage in most germanic or latin languages.

I know it's the case for Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, French, German, Spanish and Italian.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nocheez posted:

Where I go mountain biking, there are very large power line towers going right over the parking area. When it's humid I can feel the voltage whenever I touch the metal on my bike or my cars paint. It's very unsettling to feel.

With a rectifier and a step up converter you could charge your phone!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I bet that dude's cheating, always wondered why the others buy his explanation so quick.

Also, if your point is mil-sim, whats the appeal of weapons not behaving as they should. Fire rates, magazine capacity, etc. Never got that.

EDIT: This is what airsoft needs, scrutineers! Federation Internationale d'Airsoft

Xakura fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 19, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If it continues on it's trajectory, you'll be quickly subjected to a high radiation zone. There's not a lot of shielding between you and the reactor, the design relies mostly on the water around it to be devoid of anything sensitive to radiation.

Lol, is this the navy equivalent to "ak's can fire nato cartridges".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I feel like there should be a WOW switch to keep that from happening

There is, and that is allegedly the problem.

Turns out, they had an informal practice of flipping the landing gear handle up before taking off, so as soon as the weight-on-wheels solenoid tripped, the gear would fold up. Seems like this aircraft however got a bounce or jolt that prematurely tripped it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

In think the pool might be closed. Also empty.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Messadiah posted:

That HAS to be an angled roof... right?

Yeah, you can pick out vertical elements below the ladder to compare. The bendt pipe, or the corner by the burgundy sweater.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

He's a right wing shithead and his right wing shithead policies are preventing his mail order wife moving to the UK. He's so sad and weepy that the Leopords Eating People's Faces party he voted for is currently eating his face, so he can't make videos. He deleted the video he made about it, probably because it exposed what a massive piece of poo poo he is. Dude is 100% a red pill/men's rights activist and it's gross as gently caress.

Well, poo poo.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I laughed

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

I honestly can't watch "Well There's Your Problem" because the only interesting and useful person on the podcast is DoNotEat and everyone else just detracts and distracts from his quality storytime.

:same:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Serephina posted:

Neat trick to bleed off excess speed, but how does he plan on getting back into the air? Or was it an emergency landing?

That's a bush plane, takeoff is not going to be an issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLLcaL84J8

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Is that due to a headwind or does it really have a stall speed of 20 mph?

Yeah, afaik sub 20 mph stall speed.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

I went from "what are you complaining about? If you don't want to listen to these derails maybe this podcast isn't for you" to "this podcast isn't for me" after a couple of episodes.

Yuup, exact same trajectory for me.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Waterfall road is way more effed up

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

If I could do that with zero risk, I would do little else.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingsuits are interesting in that the more experienced you get, the closer to death you are; as they just fly lower and lower.

Z the IVth posted:

Given the correct conditions (not doing a trench run impression), is it possible for someone in a wingsuit to slow their fall sufficiently to survive/land without a parachute?

People have survived free fall in terminal velocity, so basically anything is "theoretically possible".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

I wonder if he had to do it again after the war to get re-certified in the British system.

sensible_chuckle.jpg

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Humphreys posted:

So, what do you think of the Crew Dragon launch? I really don't like the idea of touchscreen only controls inside the capsule. Physical switches always wins for me.

:psyduck: what the gently caress

I hate these goddamn morons who have never done anything other than computers and ipads in their lives. This would be a terrible user interface even in 1g and no vibrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Hardness is subjective too, like once something is hard it’s hard but then there’s also qualities to that, like it can appear to be harder or stronger in different ways.

Rockwell scale, famously subjective.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

The US set off a pretty big firework in japan before.

wtf is this comment

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/P9QVPTH.mp4

Not sure this is much safer than the wingsuit people.

Sort of? He already has his fall retardation device deployed, while a wingsuit guy has to gain sufficient altitude and then deploy.

But yes, he absolutely operates with zero margins.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Azhais posted:

At list the wingsuit guy is going in headfirst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFk6hxHIR0Q&t=72s
(No-one dies)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

apollo 13 took place over several days of drifting in space where there would have been no problem working with a touchscreen interface if they had needed to.

Thinking that manual burn with inverted controls would be tricky with a touchscreen joystick.

Why are people stanning so goddamn hard for terrible user interfaces.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

grillster posted:

When hologram interfaces come out there's gonna be folks like "the touch screens were simpler devices" and the argument will never end. There are going to be people who fight the brain implants.

When aesthetics are chosen over functionality, criticism is warranted.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

A touch screen can become any kind of display panel and set of controls that you want it to. Rather than having banks upon banks of switches and readouts crammed in all over the cabin, you can consolidate it all right in front of the astronaut's face. I can imagine that being pretty helpful in most situations.

You know MFDs exist, right? This is a solved problem. Combined with some sort of hands-on control device with contextual inputs.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lake of Methane posted:

Do y'all not know about he fing-longer they use for Soyuz?

Crews are strapped in enough that they use a pistol grip wand to mash buttons.

Truly, a user interface worse than touchscreens

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I assume the alerts are in English. There was a period of a number of crashes in East Asia because the pilots didn't actually speak English and couldn't understand the plane alerts. One of them had one of the pilots asking "What does 'Pull up' mean?" as one of the last bits on the flight recorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzwYKGLNnY

Appear to have no problem communicating in English.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sydin posted:

The Al Jazeera article you linked seems to imply that the pilot couldn't extend their landing gear for whatever reason, and failed to notify the control tower about it.

Yeah, I don't think there was anything wrong with the gear, or he would, as you imply, have said something. He forgot.

Sydin posted:

He also apparently approached the runway way too low and when the tower told him he replied "I'll manage." :psyduck:

More like his approach was 5 times too high (and way too fast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEYiiZdvNh4&t=257s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Elon is touted as this engineering galaxy brain when in reality he’s a charismatic ideas guy who lucked into a lot of things and seeded his career with PayPal bux his familys emerald mine

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

"Second edition" is perfect comedy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The one time I took Amtrak we had this issue and were 4+ hours late going from Chicago to St. Louis waiting for cargo trains, which is about a 4 hour car ride. But I had no car, too young to rent at the time, and it was cheaper than a plane ticket. Riding the train was a neat experience, and I still think it could be fun to do a long trip out west sometime as long as you had a sleeper car, but as far as doing it as a legitimate travel option it's just not worth it if timeliness is an issue.

Uthor posted:

What if the train cars were all independently powered and could go over flat ground, not relying on rails, and each just went at their own pace from origin to destination?

Incredible :fsmug: energy. Just because you guys haven't figured it out, doesn't mean quality passenger rail is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Memento posted:

they're for listening to house music

:gary: