Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blindeye posted:

I don't want to see it, but what is it?

Lurking Haro posted:

This is a guy getting his head smashed in by a collapsing crane while cutting a tree.

Why do you just post an explicit link without even describing what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

A local one from this weekend:

Crane topples onto house

Tree removal didn't go as planned. Jump to :55 in the video and you can see it happen.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Humphreys posted:

Don't put stickers on your hardhat. Apparently it fucks with the plastics and makes them weaker. The source of this information is my own hardhat with a load of reflective tape and my company stickers all over. Was denied them on quite a few sites and had to use the lovely 'visitor' hats.

That is the biggest load of bs I've ever heard regarding hard hats, and that's including "You can't have the brim backwards because they aren't rated for them" (MSA's website says it's fine)

GC's will actually issue you safety training stickers for your hard hat specifically so they can see if you've been trained easily.

I just got back from a ski trip so I happen to have a picture of my newest hardhat sticker on my phone.

zedprime posted:

If you are wearing brim backwards you should have the harness rotated appropriately or else it's hard to get the harness both comfortable and actually protecting your head. Can't just spin it like a cap in other words.

Stickers are, ehh, they probably shouldn't affect inspection too much but you know there's guys using them specifically to cover spiderwebs.

Ok if I'm wearing the harness backwards too, wtf, that's just stupid.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 14, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When this job is done I’m definitely putting the stickers I’ve accumulated on my hard hat, but I haven’t stuck any beyond the training ones. I’ve never been told not to, and a lot of the subs have ones with a fair few stickers, but I work for the GC and I haven’t seen any of our guys with them so I’m holding off.

Weirdly enough I rarely see GC's with the stickered out helmets. Any sub usually has theirs covered though.

I do what my grandfather (Op Engineer) did and replace them every couple of years and then hang them up in my basement.

I kind of like the new style that looks like a climbing helmet, but I can't see myself using the chinstrap.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

B-Rock452 posted:

It's extremely not safe for work but the Instagram for savageparamedics just posted a photo of what happens when you wear flip flops and crash your motorcycle.

I just realized I was audibly saying "Nope" over and over again when a co-worker walked by and gave me a weird look. That said "Nope"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Motherfucking Mike Mulligan!

Mike Mulligan was an answer on Jeopardy last night and no one got it. I was pissed.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

jetz0r posted:

Easier to transport, traps some vapor, and protects your vehicle from small spills.

It went being an incredibly stupid idea (filling rubbermaid tubs with gas) to a smart idea.

Couldn’t the plastic to plastic increase the risk of static electricity? When I unstack those rubber made containers usually there’s a static charge in the sides of them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I took advantage of the quarantine and got my OSHA 30 certification online. Some of the case studies were pretty awful, but no terrible pictures or anything.
I'm a PM so not in the field or anything, but it actually helps a lot when going after certain work to have office staff with OSHA 30 training.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which one did you use? I did mine through Advance Online and it was brutally boring to actually get through but it did the job well enough.

University of South Florida through american safety council.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sorry to post this here, but does anyone know how to make twitter videos work inline?
Edit: Never mind, I solved it. If you're having this problem (with chrome anyway) go into your cookies and delete all twitter cookies, this fixes it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 2, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

At the University of Pittsburgh there's a sculpture called Skyscape hanging from the ceiling of Posvar Hall (they may have renamed it in the 20 years since I've been there). I never liked walking under it, it was right around the time that the Final Destination movies were becoming popular.

We used to refer to it as the mobile of death.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tumble posted:

Uhg I woke up with nightmares today so I figured I'd share with ya'll. I saw somebody get hit by a subway train yesterday in Philly, it was horrible. He was high as hell on something, probably K2. I looked over at him like "This dude is a danger to himself..." and then less than a minute later somebody shouted, and I look back over and the loving dude was trying to get a cigarette that fell on the tracks.

Ten seconds later a train starts coming, and people are yelling at him but it was too late, he basically just froze and started like, trying to motion to the train to stop but it couldn't fully stop in time and it ran him over before it came to a halt.

Then the horror started. The train shut off for a second and we could hear him moaning and screaming for a few seconds before the train backed up. By the time the train had backed up to expose him, he wasn't making much noise, but he was still alive and it was horrific. He is legs were flat in a couple of areas and twisted up like a mess of ropes, he couldn't move anything except for an arm which he was kind of shaking up and down while he half-cried and half-moaned. EMS and firefighters were on the scene a couple of minutes later but they couldn't get to him until the power to the tracks was confirmed to be shut off, so they were yelling to him not to move until they could go down and get him.

He lost consciousness for a bit while they were loading him on to stretcher but then he woke up again and started crying for a bit before he was silent again.

Awful, awful stuff. I can't find anything in the news about it, I guess because of COVID there wasn't really anybody to report it? Uhg, anyways I cannot stop seeing his twisted up body, I don't think there was any way he could have lived much longer and I kind of hope he didn't anyways, his injuries did not look compatible with life at all.

So yea, do not jump into the subway because you saw a cigarette, guys. It's not worth it.

Sorry man. Try to talk to someone or at least write it out if you continue to be hosed up by it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm the guy backing away slowly when he realized there's 2 fake forklift drivers, and a real forklift driver has yet to arrive.

I was under the impression that everyone is a forklift driver.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lazyhound posted:

What’s in the middle of the wings that’s so lethal? Fuel tanks?

I'm not an expert, but looking at it, I'd say that's probably one of the areas of the wing that has the most tension in it. The propellers are pulling the plane forward with the wing tips creating drag going backwards. If I were trying to rip off a wing of that plane, I'd do my best to weaken that middle area because that's where the different forces acting on the plane would have the most interaction. (in my non expert opinion).

fixed your link.
Edit: Thought you were trying to link the actual article.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 8, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Like some kind of truckfuckling art installation.

Don't piss off superman and you'll be fine.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

A co-worker of mine was having his basement poured on a new house. He was one of the ones troweling the cement around while the truck pumped it in.

Long story short, some sloshed into both of his boots, he ended up getting chemical burns on his legs and now he has absolutely no leg hair. Not really any scarring though, so he was lucky.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What am I looking at here? The front of that vehicle doesn’t make sense to my brain.

I think it's a truck like this
that has been hot-rodded to have a front end similar to this:

edit: Similar to this maybe:

I don't know how many cars came with split windows, but they aren't totally uncommon on older trucks. But long story short I'd wager it's definitely a split window hot rod.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 22, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nenonen posted:

Naturally the 3/4 swastika island doesn't give a gently caress.
What does this mean?
Edit: just saw their flag. That’s a weird flag, sort of swastika or no.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 7, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

WarpedNaba posted:

You think that's weird, you should see the Sicilian flag.

For the lazy.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

AFewBricksShy posted:

For the lazy.

Now show the back of the flag, I want to see her cooch

No cooch, just b-hole.

Memento posted:

either she has more than one, or it looks like a starfish mouth

:lol: That's literally what I googled to make this.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

VictualSquid posted:

OK, how are you supposed to operate this device safely.
If I was designing this I would put on more handles so that you run it with 2 people, but the handles are totally wrong for that.

I think they took it off of a mounted machine.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Arrhythmia posted:

Someone please tell me why her arm didn't get cut off

The chainsaw had stopped spinning because the guy wasn't holding down the trigger, it was just stuck in the tree branch.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Antigravitas posted:

That's an impressive amount of fire to be honest.

A veritable boatload of it, if you will.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I know Poe's law and all, but there's no way this was serious with the driving and weight lifting analogy, right?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think that's standard (assuming you're posting the ladder on the wires) Assuming that's similar to how it is near me, the lower lines are all cable lines, the power are further up. It is still a massive rats nest though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

So that's where firewood comes from!
:dadjoke:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OsdC58v.mp4

“Unfortunately, some of them won’t make it...”

This needs Herzog style narration.

"As it's once safe home slips into the ocean depths, it makes a feeble, but ultimately fruitless attempt to cling on to the land it once knew. A last gasp of air, and then never to be seen again. Only detritus is left to mark the life of this once great beast."

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pretend I don't know anything about welding, what is wrong with this setup?

Edit:VV I see now. I just processed that it was an odd looking clamp and was looking for a fault in the way the wiring was set up or something. The micrometer I have looks nothing like that one.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The White Dragon posted:

huh. i actually would've guessed that they COULDN'T press charges, i recall one of the things about that case being that the parent of the child who died was a local politician who had spent his entire career loosening the safety restrictions in his county for Are Biznissis

IIRC he sponsored a bill that capped the amount that you could sue a business for wrongful death at something like $500K, then he sued the theme park people for millions from a different state because he is a hypocrite.

Edit:

quote:

The death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab at Schlitterbahn last August was a tragedy beyond comprehension. Who among us can pretend to understand precisely what life has been like for Caleb’s family over these past nine months?

Yet they have somehow survived and persevered, and now they have also extracted a full measure of justice from the responsible parties: the water park, the contractor, the water raft manufacturer and the design consultant.

Yes, the amount of the settlement is both staggering and record-breaking. But forget the exact amountaccording to wiki it was 20 million – what’s important to know is that the Schwabs were able to collect full compensation under the parameters of the law for the wrongful death of their young son. This is all any of us should expect under such circumstances. No amount of money could have replaced Caleb.

What really matters here – what is absolutely crucial to every Kansan – is that we answer the following question: How exactly were the Schwabs – a Kansas family bringing claims for a death sustained on Kansas soil – able to hold the wrongdoers fully accountable for damages utilizing the law of our state?

The answer is that they weren’t.

Our own state’s damages laws abandoned Rep. Scott Schwab, R-Olathe, and his wife in their time of need, just as they have done to countless other deserving victims over the years.

With wrongful death damages in Kansas capped at an astoundingly low sum – $250,000 – it must have been evident to the Schwabs and their attorneys that applying Kansas law would not get them where they needed to go. The tragedy occurred in Kansas, but there would be no justice here.

So when the Schwabs looked to state law for justice, they had to take a road trip down to Texas. Kansas enacted pro-business tort reform measures long ago to convince companies like Schlitterbahn to setup shop here, but Schlitterbahn had still bypassed Kansas and chosen Texas for its headquarters.

The wrongdoers were thus faced with the possibility that a legal loophole of sorts would lead a court to apply Texas damages laws – rather than Kansas laws – which would allow the Schwabs to avoid the unfair $250,000 cap and actually obtain legitimate compensation.

The possibility of having to pay the full amount awarded by a jury – rather than having their liability extinguished with the bang of a gavel – must have been enough to convince these businesses and their insurers to pay with a grimace. This is what we expect to see when tragedy flows from iniquity: the bad guys writing checks that make them hurt as well.

No matter what our laws say about the purpose of compensation, elements of deterrence and accountability accompany most awards – especially in cases that shock the conscience. In Kansas, our damages caps have left our businesses undeterred. There is no accountability here – only more injustices, stacked atop each other like overdue hospital bills.

It’s time to tell our Legislators to get rid of these needless damages caps. The pursuit of justice should not be a tourist activity.

Settlement amount and bolding are mine.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is there a way of safely setting that up so it is stored in a level state?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

shame on an IGA posted:

Also goddamn that is cabinet inception, I keep staring and just can't orient to it

What is this in reference to?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Why the hell would they not have moved the scaffold planking? It still would have been dangerous, but they probably would have gotten away with it rather than getting brained by a ladder.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I knew that Mike Rowe had gone a bit chuddy, but catching up on a TV thread, I didn't realize how far he had gone.

Lurdiak posted:

Probably a bit off topic but in case some of you still have fond memories of Mike Rowe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXUHFZogmI

How the gently caress can you be anti-osha and still claim to speak for workers? What an rear end in a top hat.

Safety comes third, after money and "getting the job done" (21:50). I liked Dirty Jobs a lot and now I regret watching it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 29, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phanatic posted:

"Safety third" isn't anti-OSHA, it's a recognition that if safety were the utmost priority you'd be home in bed and that "safety first" is frequently simply propaganda that pays lip service to safety rather than protecting it and leads people to let their guard down.

https://www.jems.com/2018/11/13/safety-is-third-not-first-and-we-all-know-it-should-be/

First responders, by nature of their jobs, have a different relationship when it comes to job safety, and is the only time a this questionable article comes close to correct.

In the recent Behind the Bastards podcast on Jordan Peterson, Robert Evans discusses how a first responder (in his case I believe he's talking about a medic) needs to assess a situation, and the first step is ensuring that you will be as safe as possible while dealing with whatever the problem is in order to avoid adding to the amount of people who need help.

So while going into a burning building is not advisable, making sure you're doing it as safely as possible is the main priority so that way the next responders on the scene don't need to have to rescue you as well.

To be fair, this is addressed in the article (and sort of by Rowe) as "getting the job done" but doing it as safely as possible, which is still addressing the need for safety on a job.

Their second thing over safety is "Have Fun". Rowe's is "Money". That's just ignorance.

On the other hand, in nearly every other job, worker safety should take precedence. I work in the contstruction industry. In no way when we are unloading slabs of stone or driving forklifts or whatever else we might be doing should "Having Fun" or "Money" be prioritized over safety. For that matter I wouldn't prioritize getting the job done over worker safety either.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phanatic posted:

But it is. It would be safer for you to not be unloading slabs of stone. It would be safer for me not to be flying on a helicopter. But those things are the job, and at some point you are satisfied that "We're doing this safely" and you proceed to do your job for money.

How is that different from any other task? Hauling around huge slabs of stone is not a thing which people do for its own sake, it is not entertainment. It's a job, and you make sure you're doing it as safely as possible, but no matter how safe you can possibly make it it will still be more dangerous than just letting huge slabs of stone stay in the ground and not hauling them around. We take the utmost effort to operate the helicopter as safely as possible, operating the helicopter as safely as possible is the main priority, but it is a helicopter, and not flying a helicopter is safer than flying a helicopter as safely as possible. But those things are the job.

Safety First means that I can't find a way of doing the job safely, it's not getting done.

If I put finishing the job ahead of worker safety and someone gets hurt, I deserve whatever fines and punishments that OSHA (as I'm in the US) dish out.

You're taking the idea of Safety First to an absurd degree to be able to discount it's importance. By saying "It's safer to not handle slabs at all" you're setting up both a black and white fallacy. It's not "Unload slabs and get crushed or don't pull stone out of the ground". Rather, it's "Unload slabs while taking any and all precautions necessary to ensure it's done safely".

It's "Don't cut corners safety-wise to do something quickly (saving money) or easily (getting the job done)" not "don't do anything ever".

Getting the job done, making money, and being happy do not take precedence over the safety of the worker.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phanatic posted:

No, the black-and-white fallacy is that a job is either being done safely or unsafely. Safe/unsafe is not a binary condition, it is a continuum with degrees. It is always possible to make a thing safer by spending more money, or by spending more time, but you asymptotically approach "job doesn't get done." It *is* safer to not handle slabs at all. We have policies and regulations on how to move slabs in order to reduce the risk. I guarantee the OSHA regulations regarding moving stone slabs do not include "all precautions necessary to ensure it's done safely." They include precautions that reduce risk an a level acceptable to OSHA. Your workplace might include additional precautions that reduce the risk to a level acceptable to your workplace. And when you go to do the job you do it if those risks have been reduced to a level acceptable to you. But there are other precautions you could take to reduce the risk even further, and you don't take those additional precautions because the present level of risk is already acceptable to you.

You're at work, you're moving a slab, I'll stipulate that you're doing it safely. You're following all the rules, regulations, policies. If you were to cut corners and increase the risk to get the job done faster or cheaper that would be bad. But you could also make more corners: it might cost more money, or take more time, but you could operate under other processes which reduce the risk to a smaller level then the way you're moving slabs today. So why don't you?

You started this conversation defending Mike Rowe's saying "Safety comes behind Getting the job done and money".

There are agreed upon guidelines in order to do a job safely. These guidelines cannot be pushed aside to "get the job done" or to make money. This is the crux of "Safety First". Rowe doesn't like OSHA because they say "Hey, you have to be safe while doing your job. Set up a proper scaffold instead of working off of a bucket." OSHA standards get written because people get hurt. They don't write them for shits and giggles, they write them because some poor roofer walked off of a roof and died because his boss didn't provide fall protection.

And you have said "Doing something is inherently unsafe, it is safer not to do it" This is setting up a black or white fallacy. You're saying you can do something that is unsafe or not do it. Any reasonable reading of "safety first" is going to accept that there is a risk in crossing the street. It is unreasonable to assume that people aren't going to cross a street due to the risk of getting hit by a car. It is reasonable to say "Safety first" and wait until traffic is clear before doing it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You are very smart and special and you figured it out. Good job Phanatic! You are correct!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm fairly certain that's marble. They hosed up in multiple places. The sink is unfortunately placed but if that's the design, you kind of have to figure it out.

They made multiple errors. They should have immediately set it down when bearded hat guy hosed up on the lift. It was airpods that broke the top though, when he drops the top onto the corner like that.

How I (as someone who does this for my job) would have done it would have been to roll it up to the edge of the 2 little wing walls on the counter, leaned it against the wing walls.
Have one person on each side and one in the middle lift simultaneously and pivot the top to horizontal using the wing walls as the pivot point, and then slide it into place that way. The guy in the middle would be doing most of the lifting, the guys on the side are basically spotters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

5-800 for the slab (this could easily double depending on what the stone actually is), maybe the same for shop labor. Laminations are loving annoying to do. There's not really a machine that you can buy that makes them quicker, it's a lot of hand work, and from the look of it it's a true miter, which means it takes a little more time to make sure everything looks right.