Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

I don't know much about guns, but aren't safeties supposed to prevent discharge? That one doesn't.

People described it up thread already — it’s a device that makes the revolver safer than other revolvers of the time. Without the transfer bar mechanism you can set off a revolver by bumping the hammer too hard, by dropping it or whatever. It’s a safety that prevents a specific type of unintentional firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there was an old weird tales scifi story called the gun shop where this dude buys a gun that knows him and will jump out of the holster into his hand when he goes to draw. Once biometrics reach that level I would consider it.

The Weapons Shops of Isher by AE Van Vogt? IIRC they also science magic could only be used for self defense or something like that. It’s been a minute since I read the book though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think this is probably just that Audi has a different perception in its domestic market than in the US.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it's been mentioned recently, but Command and Control by Eric Schlosser is a great deep dive/dramatization of a Titan II explosion precipitated by a dropped wrench. Between the story about the Titan II incident he goes into how we try to keep nukes from accidentally going off and whatnot. It's a good read.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Distance to the next thing I believe (edit: in meters or yards).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if I was a billionaire I'd be wanting something more like one of these where it seems like an actual vessel that was designed to a purpose rather than a tube they stuck some stuff in: https://tritonsubs.com/

Like, I have no idea if they're any good or not, and I'm assuming the fancy one is way more than $250k a whack. But that tube thing... even if it doesn't kill you does not seem like a good experience.

The one that can go to the bottom of the challenger deep is for sale if we've got any billionaires here feeling like their OceanTube tickets are probably going to be cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Preoptopus posted:

I'm saying like Crawl up all the way into the corner between the beams.

How can the thread forget:

Basically there are some rare overpasses you can shelter under, but most being up in the corner isn't going to save you:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/safety-overpass