Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Yes, but these guys had already shot a person at the store so they were not just robbers at that point.

Cool reason for cops to use random commuters as meatshields, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Not taking the cops side, just saying that it wasn't about stolen jewelry (successful or not), it was about attempted murder. The cops hosed up hardcore and my heart breaks for those innocent people who were just going about their day before getting iced by the police.

I couldn't be bothered to explore if you were bootlicking or not, just pointing out the cop logic if "Well they shot at least one person" then cowering behind occupied vehicles.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fallom posted:

No amount of training is going to keep bloodthirsty cops from becoming excited and trigger happy at the thought of doing some kills

That sort of thing has to be addressed during the hiring process, not after

I'm still a proponent of issuing cops guns that flip a digital coil every trigger pull (whether or not a shot is fired) to decide if it explodes.

Power it with cheap batteries so there's a risk the ignite on the cops' holsters too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

One fun fact is that cops don't know how to properly use a tazer.

The way tazers are designed, they shoot one dart straight and the other is designed to fall, creating a distance between darts. They're also for causing muscle spasms, so they need to hit a lot of muscle. Basically they work best at I think it's 10 feet away and hitting someone in the back.

Cops shoot people at point blank in the front with a tazer, and then go for the gun, because now they're fighting Wolverine.

That's a lot of work when they can just dome the guy with a 9mm and then claim "Aww geeze, I thought I grabbed my taser! Silly me!" And upbeat music plays and the credits roll.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

Man lifts are fun and a completely different thing. They basically are a paternoster without an enclosing shaft.

The real pictures of man engines make them seem less intimidating than the illustration everyone posts. More like a ladder rung that raises you up to meet the next rung halfway, and less super Mario obstacle. Still needs more coordination than a man lifts which you just grab and go.

E. Man engines went away but I think were temporarily revived for those old timey fun houses that were an excuse to grab people's rear end.

Which you know isn't too far from those trampoline places that have come around, which are places you can go to grab people's rear end and dislocate your shoulder.

There was an episode of Expedition Unknown where Josh Gates went into a centuries old mine to find a mineral that might have been used by Vikings as a sunstone and when they get to the centuries old man engine made from centuries old wood and going going down a bottomless abyss he asks what happens if he misses a platform.

Norwegian caver - "Don't miss."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Varkk posted:

Do they come with a rag and a lighter?

That would be too OSHA. The proper solution is to use windproof matches like the Finns did when they mass produced Molotovs. :eng101:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grillster posted:

Yeah they get kind of a bullish taste once they've made the trip up to the Rockies.

I want to let you know I really appreciate this. Sincerely.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The fact that this doesn't have sound is criminal.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

I've always thought you could get a decent fantasy series out of following the magic lawyers who write and negotiate the pacts wizards make with demons. Necromantic contract law.

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie has portions about similar things with God's making deals with worshipers and other gods.

It pretty OSHA I guess, with a god getting killed by a bow that he was trying to get back after he realized he made it so it could even kill himself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I loved that show as a kid.

It was the first thing I looked up on Disney+ and was shocked that there was only one season. I remember watching it for years and never realized when I saw reruns, I guess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm not convinced that this isn't some new amusement park ride.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mistle posted:

The car equivalent of breaking your ankle doing a fashion walk in artsy footwear
:iiaca:

First, scalping isn't the full-on "ear to ear, brow to nape" taking of the scalp, it's usually the top of the head. Better to imagine all the hair attached to a top knot, it's more than nominal but not thorough.

Generally speaking, while the scalp does bleed profusely from its proximity to the brain and all the major arteries that supply it, it's actually fairly bare in terms of soft tissue that can cause lasting damage. A lot of conditions were just right for this guy to recover, including: not suffering a strike capable of damaging the skull, not initially bleeding out with a high BAC, no lasting infection, and some form of treatment to mitigate future exacerbation.

It's basically a fair amount of skin on bone; your musculature is more the back, front, and sides of the head, not the top.

It wasn't a scalping, but when I was like three, my sister smashed a plastic bucket over my head and the edge caught my scalp. There was so little bleeding my parents didn't know I was hurt that bad until I complained about the pain after my bath and my mom checked and found a gash several inches long that, again, wasn't really bleeding.

So maybe these Native Americans used a plastic bucket on this dude.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Also book if a certain book, if a certain book that a certain movie is to be believed!

it has accounts of firefighter gangs fighting each other outside burning buildings, and at other points them just standing and watching buildings burn until someone would come forward and pay them to put the fires out. Capitalism is a terrible last resort in emergency situations!

That was basically how Crassus's fire department worked.

quote:

The first ever Roman fire brigade was created by Crassus. He took advantage of the fact that Rome had no fire department, by creating his own brigade—500 men strong—which rushed to burning buildings at the first cry of alarm. Upon arriving at the scene, however, the fire fighters did nothing while Crassus offered to buy the burning building from the distressed property owner, at a miserable price. If the owner agreed to sell the property, his men would put out the fire, if the owner refused, then they would simply let the structure burn to the ground. After buying many properties this way, he rebuilt them, and often leased the properties to their original owners or new tenants.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Don't worry, the US definitely looked in to something like that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

What about Who Me?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"They appear to have angered the Segway..."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just looked at this poo poo as being like the latest variation of the same kind of snake oil as the idiotic magnet bracelets, and all the copper crap that followed more recently. Awesome that now the snake oil is also venomous this time around.

Despite all the dosages he calculated, I don't think these have anything on radium water.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BMan posted:

I'm pretty sure he was using the geiger counter wrong. The meter doesn't know you're measuring a bracelet, it calculates dose rate assuming a uniform radiation field across the whole body.

I think he mentions something about that when he also talks about alpha particles penetrating skin because you have a thorium bracelet on 24/7.

And that's not even getting into the thorium shirts and sheets impregnated with thorium dust that you then sleep on.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Before the collapse, I was waiting for someone to walk across the 'chasm' to reveal it's just one of those hyper-detailed street chalk artworks.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PetraCore posted:

6:45 pm is a perfectly reasonable time to mow the lawn, anyway.

Summers around here when there's a smog alert they usually say to not gas up or now the lawn till after 6 pm

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Phanatic posted:

It's very possible that chronic alcoholism might just show up in someone's prior employment history.

How? The frequent sickdays it's "none of the boss's business" why they were taken?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Didn't NASA give the shuttles away to museums, on the condition that they must be displayed in really cool ways?

Maybe they weren't as discriminating with the exhibit for Enterprise since it didn't go to space.

The Air Force Museum got a crew cabin trainer, so they slapped it into a fullsized mock-up of the shuttle (the ramp up to the cargo bay follows a weird route, then you realize it's the shape the wing would be) and sliced off the back end and removed the hatch so you can see inside.

This is how I learned that the toilet is A) Right next to the entry hatch and B) right under the passage to get onto the flight deck, so it has two doors for privacy, one in front, and one above.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sex Skeleton posted:

He just threw a wrench at the guy at the start of the video. Was he trying to put the fire out with a wrench?

Throw a wrench at a person you break the person. Throw a wrench at a machine, you break the machine. It stands to reason that the same rule applies to fire.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

cross post from aviation thread, happened this morning

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

note also the Quebec Drivers

LOL it happened around here this morning too:

https://twitter.com/CincyPD/status/1250914627405393922?s=20

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

If you are reading this, you have been in a coma for almost twenty years.

We are trying a new technique. We do not know where this message will end up in your dream, but we hope it gets through.

Please wake up.

LMAO, get your rear end in here and MAKE ME, coward.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Actually, they used a picture of a cicada killer. They are large, and yes, they look like a nightmare when they're flying in your vicinity, but they don't give a poo poo about anything except catching and paralyzing a cicada. The only way one will hurt you is through serious effort or stepping on one.

Awww, they're hugging! :3:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why would anyone do that?

It was made for him to enter.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

aas Bandit posted:

Edit: Image-link is hosed for some reason. Click that poo poo.

I really thought the dude at the beginning was trying to do some kind of rap star pose in front of the elevator for some reason, then LOL.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I now subscribe to the Aquatic Helicopter Theory

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

Cool cool cool. Lets replace the 9v alkaline battery with a lithium battery and hope the pouch doesn't swell and gout flame

What's the problem, there's a smoke detector right there?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kith posted:

are there any osha guidelines about lava

https://i.imgur.com/wSIWxNF.mp4

Kinda lovely of R2 to just chill out watching someone's car burn like that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/uy88Luo.mp4

Wet charge at a Russian steel smelter.

In this case whoever smelt it definitely dealt it.

Big fan of evac stairs that require you to run AT the thing spewing molten metal in order to get away from it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/FQPsfzl.mp4

You don’t really have to hit play to know where this is going...

Wow, those trucks have bad blindspots.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Could someone please explain what this tweet means
I assume being Jewish is relevant

Moses

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Watch this one where no one died and you’ll get an idea of what the jade mine video looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

It also gives you a goo idea of what the Black Sea deluge hypothesis would have looked like!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

For the lazy.

Would.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This.

Stop touching things you already know are live with electricity.

What if they're Nitro from Down Periscope?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

He put a "Peligro" sign on it, what more do you people want?!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

Holy poo poo, that's like something out of Bollywood but real life.

I have some news for you...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I want an SUV with the rollover protection of a Weeble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Get a Tesla then

Hahahahahahaha

No.