Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don’t follow x86 processors because I’m not a server jockey or a gamer, but someone told me AMD makes the best CPUs now. imagine my surprise, since the last time I built a pc was also the last time AMD was good. they said something about ripping threads and ryu zen and little baby chips. I know the ‘pos will have the real scoop.

is AMD good now? is intel dead? what’s the best computer brain for my sick rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
intel has been turning out really small performance gains while asking the same inflated price, amd just caught up on price/performance ratio I think. I have a ryzen it's deece

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i want a 32 core threadripper

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
iirc their speculative execution implementation wasn't vulnerable to spectre/meltdown to the same extent intel's was so they didn't have to take the performance hit to fix it, while intel did

pram
Jun 10, 2001
threadripper can use ECC memory which makes it better for an HEDT rig than intels poo poo

depends on what you’re building the machine for

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

depends on what you’re building the machine for

shitposting, obviously

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buy an ipad op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol the amd thread in shsc is full of people fighting with fiddly bullshit

like last time i built a desktop it was with an Intel haswell processor and it was just "motherboard has right socket and desired features? ram fits? all good"

(note: i am not an overclocker)

the amd thread on the other hand has people worrying if the technically compatible motherboard will allow the CPU to deliver full stock performance

that said if i had to build a desktop today I'd probably go amd, but I'd be grumbling about it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good to see that after all these years the amd mobo situation is still a mess

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

good to see that after all these years the amd mobo situation is still a mess

It wasn’t back in the day; just get an nforce2. What’s the nf7-s of the current generation?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the last amd cpu i used was the original sledgehammer opteron.

my friend and i were dumbfounded when it completely shithoused his 3GHz P4 compared to mine at 1.8GHz.

then it happened to me when he got a socket 479 motherboard that took pentium m’s. he was getting 10%+ more performance than my opteron out of a 1.6GHz chip. ultimately intel did go back to P6 based kit, but at the time we were so confused as to why intel wasn’t making this their flagship to dunk on amd. as opposed to using some hacky chinese motherboard that supported a laptop chip.

tldr; intel was dumb in the early 00’s. it’s a miracle that they survived netburst and itanium. more likely their strongarm tactics with oem’s more than acts of god though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

netburst was not as dumb a screwup as the combo of their 10nm now being half a decade late and their speculative execution leaking information in the stupidest ways possible though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

netburst was not as dumb a screwup as the combo of their 10nm now being half a decade late and their speculative execution leaking information in the stupidest ways possible though.
yeah, if you’re on haswell or newer, there’s been no reason to upgrade in over 5 years. hell, sandy/ivy will probably hold you over.

that’s a lot of processors not being sold.

the only thing keeping intel going is the fact that laptop oem’s are forced to buy whatever intel is making at the time and are also slaves to the whims of retail, needing a new model FOR DADS AND GRADS every year.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im still on literally-day-one sandy bridge, and the only thing i feel like i am missing out on is nvme

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I look at see that modern processor score at least twice what mine but, but I really do wonder how of a bottle neck the processor is. i have a decent enough graphics card, ssds, and 32gb ram. most poo poo works very quickly, idk if I need it to be more instant 🤷‍♂️

actually just checked passmark and my processor gets about 9,500 and the newer amd processors are getting 47k lmao yeah that’s not just twice as fast

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lomarf

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no matter how fast my work laptop is resharper still makes visual studio suck rear end

burning swine
May 26, 2004

akadajet posted:

no matter how fast my work laptop is resharper still makes visual studio suck rear end

yeah that's never gonna change

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, don't buy mobile amd chips for anything though. they're absolute poo poo and they're only sold in discount-rear end laptops that are absolute garbage.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I just built a new machine for everything-but-games, replacing an old lovely i5-2380P, an economy grade sandy bridge. Didn't cost too much to put together a 3700X system. Got to buy one of those stupid-fast new nvme drives

the stock cooler has :rice: leds all over it, because lol amd. Anyway it was cheap and this thing is a loving beast and I legit feel bad that I'm using it to look at gifs and read green text on a black screen

tl;dr: amd good?

e: I took this picture because I was farting around with a dslr while putting it together

burning swine fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 24, 2019

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the amd heatsink clips are good

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol the amd thread in shsc is full of people fighting with fiddly bullshit

like last time i built a desktop it was with an Intel haswell processor and it was just "motherboard has right socket and desired features? ram fits? all good"

(note: i am not an overclocker)

the amd thread on the other hand has people worrying if the technically compatible motherboard will allow the CPU to deliver full stock performance

that said if i had to build a desktop today I'd probably go amd, but I'd be grumbling about it

i think at least 80% of the fiddly bullshit in that thread are ultra-nerds obsessed with tweaking and loving around with poo poo. because these new chips don't really overclock at all (nothing wrong with this imo), that leaves them with screwing around endlessly with memory settings.

i got a 3700x and all i did was set the bios to use xmp for the ram, tweaked the fan curve, and stopped giving a poo poo.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
just set it and forget it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

zero fiddling in my build. went into bios once, confirmed the ram timings were already right, and went about shitposting

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

i think at least 80% of the fiddly bullshit in that thread are ultra-nerds obsessed with tweaking and loving around with poo poo. because these new chips don't really overclock at all (nothing wrong with this imo), that leaves them with screwing around endlessly with memory settings.

i got a 3700x and all i did was set the bios to use xmp for the ram, tweaked the fan curve, and stopped giving a poo poo.

i was reading that thread and suggested that overclocking memory wasn't worth bothering, and a bunch of regulars with blingee memory and watercooled bespoke computers with huge graphics cards got real mad. you could tell they had veins popping out of their heads over it

i notice that asrock finally has mATX and ITX boards with thunderbolt 3, which is cool - i don't need any new computers at the moment but i think i'll get an amd next

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

overclocking memory

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i had to underclock the 32gb i brought from
aliexpress to get my machine to post lmao

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

trusting aliexpress RAM to work. Good poo poo :smugmrgw::hf::smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it was a gamble, for sure, but it was like a hundred and twenty bucks for thirty two gigs. try getting that at pbtech

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just set up a trademe alert duh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trademe has the absolute worst user experience of any trading website there is

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Craigslist is objectively the worst and sues third parties who try to put a better interface over it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

i was reading that thread and suggested that overclocking memory wasn't worth bothering, and a bunch of regulars with blingee memory and watercooled bespoke computers with huge graphics cards got real mad. you could tell they had veins popping out of their heads over it

still trying to recreate the highs of the dire-cheap celeron 300a trivially and unfailingly overclocking 50% gets pretty sad when you're spending nontrivial amounts of time grinding out a 3% advantage by fiddling about with pretty expensive ram.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i really really hate the cheap gamer aesthetics amd has been going for with ryzen and everything after, who came up with the name threadripper for gods sake

it's like they're trying to sell skateboards to 14 year olds, it really puts me off

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what they really need is a letter, then a digit, and then another 4 digits, and then 0-2 letters. none of them with meaning.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i really really hate the cheap gamer aesthetics amd has been going for with ryzen and everything after, who came up with the name threadripper for gods sake

it's like they're trying to sell skateboards to 14 year olds, it really puts me off

there's way more important things to care about my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

it's pretty clear that ~*gamerz*~ are their primary market because they couldn't even be bothered to try and boot a remotely modern linux distro on them to see that it didn't work because their rdrand implementation was hosed up

code:
        /* Apparently on some AMD CPUs RDRAND will sometimes (after a suspend/resume cycle?) report success
         * via the carry flag but nonetheless return the same fixed value -1 in all cases. This appears to be
         * a bad bug in the CPU or firmware. Let's deal with that and work-around this by explicitly checking
         * for this special value (and also 0, just to be sure) and filtering it out. This is a work-around
         * only however and something AMD really should fix properly. The Linux kernel should probably work
         * around this issue by turning off RDRAND altogether on those CPUs. See:
         * [url]https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11810[/url] */
there was also some issue with threadripper where it was apparently really easy to wreck the socket if you weren't extremely careful when installing it. that seems to be a tradition with amd though. remember people wrecking motherboards and crushing cores while installing the heatsinks on old athlons?