Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are you replacing server gear with consumer grade garbage?

the best part about server gear is that it's never obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

the best part about server gear is that it's never obsolete.

not as long as it's under warranty

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i looked up the hp k-class online and a few hops later found out that there was a product named "HP Superdome"

why is it called the superdome

they still make it (kinda)

its called the superdome flex 💪 now

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

i saw someone propose hooking a fully kitted out flex to that cerebras ml megachip

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anybody have an example of what a two socket epyc rome server is not good at?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

anybody have an example of what a two socket epyc rome server is not good at?

intel is faster for ai if you use their "deep learning boost" instructions
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/hands-on-with-amds-32-core-64-thread-threadripper-3970x/

but i think that same work could be done cheaper faster on a gpu

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my ipad has a NEURAL ENGINE

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

it needed to sell in louisiana

i'm not a louisian, or former louisian as hp is, but i don't believe the superdome has a particularly good reputation in louisiana? i guess hp probably has a quip about it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my ipad has a NEURAL ENGINE

my Linux rig has an emotion engine

just kidding I don’t run Linux lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xD

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are you replacing server gear with consumer grade garbage?

i love server grade gear
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00092491en_us

quote:

SSDs with an HPE firmware version prior to HPD8 that results in SSD failure at 32,768 hours of operation (i.e., 3 years, 270 days 8 hours). After the SSD failure occurs, neither the SSD nor the data can be recovered. In addition, SSDs which were put into service at the same time will likely fail nearly simultaneously.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish this thread would :rip:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno why people are janitoring most ryzen stuff since boost clocks hit basically what the chip can handle under any normal cooling solution

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wow, i can't believe stymie was wrong about enterprise ssds, too

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I dunno why people are janitoring most ryzen stuff since boost clocks hit basically what the chip can handle under any normal cooling solution

epeen.

I have my 9700k at 5.0 stable because... well gently caress, I can, and that speed is near-mythical for me since I remember a time when that was functionally impossible.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

intel also had Slot 2 for the Xeon processors, i've got a couple of new-in-box P2 xeons squirreled away somewhere in my mom's house. those suckers were big

why are you hoarding garbage in someone else’s house

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

and why not in my house.

i want that poo poo

BSDLSD
Sep 11, 2019

infernal machines posted:

iirc their speculative execution implementation wasn't vulnerable to spectre/meltdown to the same extent intel's was so they didn't have to take the performance hit to fix it, while intel did

Not just threadrippers, but regulary Ryzens too...

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fabricated posted:

people want to feel like they are getting more than their moneys worth by squeezing some marginal extra performance

amd are happy to oblige

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

the first gen took some janitoring because r7 1700 boosting goes 1 or 2 core load = 3.7GHz and any more than that nothing goes over 3.2GHz which is kinda poo poo

though all it took was setting clocks to 3.8GHz and bumping the voltage up slightly and then never touching it again

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
intel is bad

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
there can only be one good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
crazy to think processors are close to or already small enough for quantum effects to interfere

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Technically, everything is influenced by quantum effects.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what I mean is that older larger processors didn’t really have to consider them in the design process

but I believe now you do, with the 10nm and smaller processes

I think

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

what I mean is that older larger processors didn’t really have to consider them in the design process

but I believe now you do, with the 10nm and smaller processes

I think

source?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

quantum tunneling is a thing that needs to be designed around afaik

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

quantum tunneling is also a factor at much larger sizes fwiw. it’s a matter of probability whether an electron hops the barrier between leads, and the probabilities drastically increase as distances shrink, but they can technically happen at any distance. as a bonus the smaller scale also makes your hardware much more sensitive to individual electrons getting into places they shouldn’t be

im not a hardware dev but I had a lot of physics classes a decade ago

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nand flash is literally applied quantum tunneling

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The Management posted:

nand flash is literally applied quantum tunneling

explain i'm a baby and physics scares me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SRQ posted:

explain i'm a baby and physics scares me

basically, you have a totally isolated bit of metal that's electrically insulated from from everything. you use quantum tunneling to either stick some electrons in there or take them back out, and once you do that they're stuck there because it's totally electrically insulated.

when you want to read the value of that bit, you measure whether there are extra electrons stuck on that floating bit of metal without actually giving them any chance to escape.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

that rules

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Semiconductors themselves rely on quantum physics, it's just specific effects which become more important at smaller sizes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pointsofdata posted:

Semiconductors themselves rely on quantum physics, it's just specific effects which become more important at smaller sizes.

but enough about your sex life! haha!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jabor posted:

basically, you have a totally isolated bit of metal that's electrically insulated from from everything. you use quantum tunneling to either stick some electrons in there or take them back out, and once you do that they're stuck there because it's totally electrically insulated.

when you want to read the value of that bit, you measure whether there are extra electrons stuck on that floating bit of metal without actually giving them any chance to escape.

but how do you use quantum tunneling to do that

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

pointsofdata posted:

This is kind of true, but is often overstated, IMO. To understand the physical theory for why semiconductors are semiconductors, yes, you need to be quantum mechanical, but semiconductor electronics isn't really that quantum mechanical. The main physics of transistors is just normal physics.

SRQ posted:

but how do you use quantum tunneling to do that

I don't know if the following explanation will be helpful, but:

The isolated piece of metal Jabor is talking about is the bottom plate of a capacitor. You apply a large voltage to the top plate of this capacitor with an electrical insulator separating the top plate and bottom plate. This large voltage effectively thins this insulator which usually prevents electricity from traveling from the top plate to the and bottom plate of the capacitor, and then electrons can now travel through the temporarily 'effectively thinned' insulator layer from the top plate to the bottom plate.

The process of the electrons traveling through the insulator is forbidden/disallowed by laws of normal physics, for the same reason why human beings cannot walk through walls, but in quantum mechanics it can happen with a very high probability if the insulator/wall is sufficiently 'effectively thin'.

The bottom plate of this capacitor is connected to the input of a transistor, which is essentially a charge sensing device which detects if a sufficient number of electrons have made it to the bottom plate of this capacitor. When a memory read is performed, the memory circuit then reads out from the transistor output whether a sufficient number of electrons have been introduced to the bottom plate of the capacitor.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 29, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

silence_kit posted:

This is kind of true, but is often overstated, IMO. To understand the physical theory for why semiconductors are semiconductors, yes, you need to be quantum mechanical, but semiconductor electronics isn't really that quantum mechanical. The main physics of transistors is just normal physics.

It's closer under the surface than in most physics though, "Why does semiconductor conductivity increase with temperature?" quickly gets you to quantum physics.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

how i want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics

that's a pi mneumonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
too bad everyone ran off the quantum math c++ library guy. I am sure he would have had some great informative posts here