Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i got myself a ryzen and even with a bigass cooler it cranks up the fan if the computer does anything remotely difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Posting on year three of my Ryzen 5600X. Thank you Lisa Su.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i gotta figure out how to set the "overclocking" bios controls so i can get my memory to run at its actual speed.

Apr 7, 2003

Just set your memory to the XMP profile and forget it. It's that easy with Ryzen!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pretty sure i have that set yet my memory is running at a much slower 2133.

i might just reset the bios settings and try again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

as a stock holder, keep jizzing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i got myself a ryzen and even with a bigass cooler it cranks up the fan if the computer does anything remotely difficult

you sweat a lot during sex when you’re fat and outta shape

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tried both xmp profiles 1 and 2 and neither works. :smith:

Apr 7, 2003

Sounds like you purchased memory that isn't up to Ryzen standards!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i bought corsair ddr3600 thinking that was decent, but i guess i should have paid $20 extra per stick for the ones with the leds on them that said amd on them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
give the ram a .05v bump and i bet it'll improve

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i went to the bother of actually finding RAM from the QVL to avoid that kind of problem

which is why i wound up with gamer RGB RAM because they were the best priced available model in the performance/price range i wanted

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rgb stuff is fine. you can turn it off if you dont like it.

computers are an unserious thing and should be treated with levity and chuckled at.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blue LEDs are the worst

RGB is fine because you can temper that awful blue hue, but that blue by itself is downright abysmal

I still enjoy my ryzen. I suspect my ram is underperforming though, next time I have an opportunity I might look into it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

i bought corsair ddr3600 thinking that was decent, but i guess i should have paid $20 extra per stick for the ones with the leds on them that said amd on them.

if you can't computer good the thing you are paying for is out of the box compatibility validation, so idk, get gud or buy the ram you actually need

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
most amd boards will work out of box with xmp but they came put with "expo" certification at least partially because of the gaps. like jonny says, good odds it just needs a slight voltage bump, but the safest is to either get something from the QVL and run it at the spec it's validated for or just run whatever at the jedec spec

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 11, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah i know the manual timings and voltages to set. was just hoping i could find something that would work without effort.

Apr 7, 2003

I have some rear end Teamforce ram I bought a while back that worked perfectly fine out of the box without loving around.

Works fine, didn't have to gently caress with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there any kind of tool or something that tries to see how fast it can get your ram?

or is purely trial and error?

once I had a problem where I ran the ram too fast and it wouldn’t POST for me to edit it back down and I had to jumper reset it

I want to avoid this scenario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i got this stuff, it worked oob

e: note the voltage jump between the jedec profiles and the expo one

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 11, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

is there any kind of tool or something that tries to see how fast it can get your ram?

or is purely trial and error?

once I had a problem where I ran the ram too fast and it wouldn’t POST for me to edit it back down and I had to jumper reset it

I want to avoid this scenario

use the xmp/expo profiles, it's still not guaranteed to post, but it probably will if your board supports it. most modern boards will revert if they fail to post multiple times in a row, so at least you don't have to set everything from scratch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wish more of you failed to POST

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let me just overdrive my ram, I’m sure it won’t silently corrupt my bits once the silicon wears down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
notable wear items: ddr chips

mine are pretty ground down; i had to install a custom version of windows that can accept values of 0 and 0.75

Apr 7, 2003

polishing the edges of my dram chips for that post-apocalyptic computer aesthetic

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

notable wear items: ddr chips

mine are pretty ground down; i had to install a custom version of windows that can accept values of 0 and 0.75

modern low nm silicon does in fact wear down when overdriven

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You're going to blow out your memory controller, it happens once overclocks hit a certain age.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

modern low nm silicon does in fact wear down when overdriven

ram chips arent gpus sitting in a hot rack being used for mining

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

You're going to blow out your memory controller, it happens once overclocks hit a certain age.

that’s how you know to get a new CPU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

:rice: ddr4 b-die will absolutely show problems with relatively modest temperatures and that threshold can get worse over time

otoh if you keep them cool some of them will run for forever at like 1.6V and speeds too high to be relevant to this thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i prefer to have no lights on my computers at all, but if there are gonna be lights, they have to be red. i have a drawer full of dozens of different sizes of red LEDs just to replace them every time i can.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I wish more of you failed to POST

AM5 users should have a 20minute slow mode for this thread

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

lol if you think any silicon made sub 10 nm is reliable. its expected lifetime is measured in single digit years of normal use before the internal ecc can no longer keep up with the errors in sram buffers. bumping up the voltage decreases that significantly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont expect anything to last more than "single digit years" any more.
i maintain that telling people to add .05 or .1v to get their ram stable is fine and will not 'burn it out'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

my ryzen 5 is still suiting my needs very well. thanks amd

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Posting on year three of my Ryzen 5600X. Thank you Lisa Su.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Just set your memory to the XMP profile and forget it. It's that easy with Ryzen!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sounds like you purchased memory that isn't up to Ryzen standards!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thank you all for having made those posts, which i agree with. if i didnt quote your post then it means i didnt agree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🥺