Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
They Paint Houses, Don’t They?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's definitely true that Pesci and Pacino are the main draw here but man, this was a performance unlike anything I've seen Pesci do. He can definitely walk away from this and say it was totally worth coming out of retirement for because he owns every scene he's in.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

"I'm still alive?"
"Yes, you are."
"That's good to know..."
:smith:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely true that Pesci and Pacino are the main draw here but man, this was a performance unlike anything I've seen Pesci do. He can definitely walk away from this and say it was totally worth coming out of retirement for because he owns every scene he's in.

It really is impossible to pick a highlight from his performance but I do love what a grim tone-setter it is when he’s shown arriving home soaked in blood and his wife calmly tells him to get undressed while she draws a bath, and don’t forget your shoes. Mundane brutality.

I haven’t stopped thinking about this film since I first saw it (twice now, maybe a third tonight). Runaway film of the year. Late contender for film of the decade. What a blessing of a film.

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

Yeah easily best movie of the year. The style and pacing of the film were absolutely masterful. Keitel as Angelo Bruno and Stephen Graham as Provenzano. So sick

In my opinion Pesci is the greatest “mob actor” of all time

nonentity2st fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 29, 2019

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I thought this was a bit long so I ended up watching it in two chunks, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about this movie. Pesci's got one hell of a swan song if he chooses to retire with this movie.

Can't wait to see the Roma voting rehash in February! :eng99:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Ok I know what I'm doing with my Black Friday workday hangover. Time to watch this sucker.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the problem with the ageing stuff for me was that I couldn't actually tell wtf age frank was ever supposed to be

the scene where he is meant to be in his 20s he looks 40, when hes driving trucks he looks 50 and when hes getting around for most of the movie and I guess hes meant to be in his 40s he looks 60..

his eyes were fucken weird too

otherwise it looked fine, I guess.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1200286445371568128

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I thought the movie was great but they should have also done the digital de-aging on Anna Paquin to make her into a small child in the early scenes.

nonentity2st
Jan 14, 2018

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I thought the movie was great but they should have also done the digital de-aging on Anna Paquin to make her into a small child in the early scenes.

Nice idea but probably woulda cost another 50 mill

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I think my favorite part of the movie was how deliberately unglamorous the aesthetic and direction of the movie was. Even at the cap stone moment of the movie for Frank’s accomplishments, it comes off as kitschy and no one is really enjoying themselves as it merely acts as a moment of prelude of planning for what is to come. There are no debauched celebrations (at least for Frank), the murders are violent and fast, no gloating or soliloquizing over some vanquished foe.

In a meta sense, the super old actors in their earlier periods of the film emphasize the internal rot and emptiness of the mobsters, it’s like the polar opposite but consistently thematic with a kung fu movie, where the spectacle of action usually implies the drive and will of the characters, but in this sense the hollowness is emphasized with how decrepit the movement of action is.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I have a CONTROVERSIAL hot-take, which is that I find this movie to be kinda bland. The movie really shines at the end from the prison scene on onwards, because then the character study and investment starts paying off. This is the rare movie where the latter third is the strongest part. HOWEVER, it felt like much of this movie couldn't decide if it wanted to show off events based on the tall-tales from the book it's based on or on a larger cast of characters. It should have stayed more on Sheeran and his inner dynamics and motivations than instead of him being the cogwheel pushing the story forward.

Other less controversial viewpoints:

1. Pesci is great to the point of being oscar-worthy
2. Pacino is okay, mostly because the rally speeches didn't quite work - but speeches in general have a "gettysburg adress" effect on the big screen and are difficult to capture.
3. The de-aging was surprisingly good aside from the weird effect around the eyes, and that they're apparently too proud to use body doubles for physical stuff when they really should have.

In conclusion, Once Upon a Time in America is a better version of this movie FIGHT ME

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dante posted:

In conclusion, Once Upon a Time in America is a better version of this movie FIGHT ME

I won't fight you because I agree with you :colbert: although I disagree about the "bland" part, it's rare to see movies of this length paced so well.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My hot take is that Once Upon a Time in America isn’t very good.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Cacator posted:

I won't fight you because I agree with you :colbert: although I disagree about the "bland" part, it's rare to see movies of this length paced so well.
Yeah I agree with that, this had excellent pacing all the way through.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I wish Irishman had gone on for like another hour. Also Once Upon a Time in America is Leone’s best film.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

coulda been a great 7 episode series on HBO

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
It was A Good Movie

at the end I really felt the loneliness, the passing of time, and the powerlessness of old age and waiting for the end

I found it very effective and moving

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
So what was up with Jesse Plemmons character at the end there? His proximity to the whole thing confuses me. Wouldn’t he have testified that Frank was in Detroit when he was supposed to be on the road to the wedding, and on top of that was the last person seen with Hoffa?

loving great movie altogether. Very melancholic, and a nice rebuttal to those who criticize his movies as endorsing or glamorizing mobster poo poo.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

It was really loving weird that it took like an hour (at least) for Anna Paquin to actually have a line and even when she did talk she said, what, 10 words total?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In a film with a lot of colorful and foul-mouthed characters, having her only have spoken dialogue in that one scenes gives her words more weight than anyone else's in the entire film. She's the only person that cuts through Frank and his bullshit in all three and a half hours.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Riptor posted:

It was really loving weird that it took like an hour (at least) for Anna Paquin to actually have a line and even when she did talk she said, what, 10 words total?

I thought that was kind of the point of her character that there was this silent and unspoken rule in the family that even as kids they knew their dad was a bad man and hangs around with bad people (the bowling alley scene). When Hoffa disappears, it underlines the fact that they (or at least Peggy) knew exactly what had happened and no words are even needed to make it obvious. Of course there are probably essays being written already how Scorsese doesn't have female characters but it was so underlined here how her silence was another burden Frank has to carry with him.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1200509622718812160?s=19

ah poo poo, maybe the movie is actually Bad

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

not trolled not crying posted:

I thought that was kind of the point of her character that there was this silent and unspoken rule in the family that even as kids they knew their dad was a bad man and hangs around with bad people (the bowling alley scene). When Hoffa disappears, it underlines the fact that they (or at least Peggy) knew exactly what had happened and no words are even needed to make it obvious. Of course there are probably essays being written already how Scorsese doesn't have female characters but it was so underlined here how her silence was another burden Frank has to carry with him.

I think you're being very generous

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
As a banal cis white dude from the suburbs, I remember growing up idolizing gangster films, or at least buying into the glamour and coolness of the wiseguy lifestyle. I'm in my late 30s now so I've kind of cooled off on stuff like that. I came into The Irishman really worried that a) I had grown apart from mobster movies and b) the 3.5 hour runtime was going to feel indulgent and wasteful.

Wrong on all accounts, I looooved this film. Didn't feel the runtime one bit. I think it made a big impact on me BECAUSE I was a dumb kid from the burbs fantasizing about being a gangster. The way the film strips away the cool factor and highlights the emptiness, the loneliness of a life of bloodshed and betrayal was heartbreaking. I mean, even the opening shot: instead of a long slow tracking shot through a racous mobster nightclub, the film opens with a long slow tracking shot of a nursing home. Oof. I wasn't distracted by the de-aging other than how even though RdN looked like he was 49, Pesci kept calling him "kid". But that just added to the dreaminess of the film, with Frank looking back on his life with a mix of memory and bleed over from his present situation.

For me, The Irishman has the "x factor" that Once Upon a Time In Hollywood lacked for me. Both films are veteran directors expertly capturing the look and feel and spirit of a time, but for my money, Scorsese actually manages to say something with his. QT felt like he was just going "Man, how cool was Hollywood huh? Shame it all ended, let's just bask for awhile..." where as Scorsese is seriously meditating on a career glamorizing organized crime and what the life really means. People talk a lot about how few lines women get in this film and normally I agree, but unlike how QT used Margot Robbie as set decoration/iconography, to me it felt like the silence of Anna Paquin was powerful and damning and a kind of central theme of the film. If she'd gotten a big emotional monologue, it wouldn't have resonated as much as how she was actually used. Like Frank says, one day, she's just gone. No emotional pleas, no big blowout... Frank blew it and he blew it forever.

This has easily jumped into probably my top 3 for the year. Also, for me this seriously closes the book on east coast Italian mafia gabagool-fugeddaboutit movies. We're done, it's all been said now. Frank D'Angelo can pack it up and find a different archetype to obsess over.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Riptor posted:

Its not generous its the point. The other time she talks in the film, a guy gets beaten to a pulp by her dad.

Her sister even says that they didn't know how to talk to Frank because they were afraid of who he was.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Riptor posted:

It's literally the text of the film. An entire section of the end of the film is devoted to the fact that she won't talk.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
hands up for also never knowing what age anyone is supposed to be in this movie at any given time.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder if seeing her dad beat the poo poo out of a guy in front of her after she spoke up might have had a negative effect on her. nah probably not

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I saw this in theaters a few weeks ago and didn't realize it was going to be 3:30. I knew it was long, but a movie that long really needed an intermission or something. Not going to be an issue on Netflix when you can just pause, so whatever.

Gonna echo the crowd and just say how great everyone was in it. Pesci, Pacino, and De Niro were all great. My favorite running gag was the title card of how people died.

I still need to know what kind of fish he was hauling around for his friend. Most important mystery in the movie, imo

I'm looking forward to watching it again when I have time.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sal got whacked because they heard he'd been visiting the Fish Bureau of Investigation to figure out the truth. Eh, it was a bad hit

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

So what was up with Jesse Plemmons character at the end there? His proximity to the whole thing confuses me. Wouldn’t he have testified that Frank was in Detroit when he was supposed to be on the road to the wedding, and on top of that was the last person seen with Hoffa?

I too would like to know the answer to this. I know they mentioned he ended up in jail, but he knew who his Dad was with the night he disappeared. You think he would've mentioned it to someone. Or got some revenge at least. I'm assuming I missed something. Originally I thought the guy with the glasses was going to take him out and bury him, but they mentioned at the end that he got pinched for something silly and went to jail for a bit.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

That's just part of the story that echoes the story from the book, and from the FBI Hoffa files. In the movie it's all weird because in one scene that's a devoted adopted son literally rushing a gunman for him and then he's helping him kill him...but then we learn he didn't know he was helping to kill him?? And then he disappears from the story, with no mention of how this might be an issue. This is part of the weird "movie can't decide what it wants to be" part for me. It wants to put in all these fun little pieces from the book, but the cast becomes so large it's impossible to tell it all in a coherent way even with a 3 hour + runtime.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Calling it now: next GTA game will include a mission pushing taxi-cars into a river.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there a recommended point to plan in an intermission for this? Like a good natural dramatic pause?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a recommended point to plan in an intermission for this? Like a good natural dramatic pause?

Maybe the first scene with Hoffa, but that might be too early.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Marmaduke! posted:

I don't know if it would have worked without Meth Damon

I have a pretty serious crush on Jesse Plemmons

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's funny. Hoffa is so arrogant in this movie, and you can tell miles ahead he's going to get killed. But when he is, there is no feeling that "he deserved it". It still feels wrong, hosed up, undeserved. His death was like an anticlimactic climax, a climax without any catharsis or fulfillment. I have to admit, I thought Hoffa was kind of the good guy despite the arrogance. He literally plays out like a hero in a Greek tragedy. I'm trying to work out a longer response with more of my thoughts, but this one seems the most clear to me right now.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Maybe the first scene with Hoffa, but that might be too early.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but generally intermissions should be about 3/5 through a movie.