Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on how young the story calls for, because I definitely feel like the kids they cast in Once Upon A Time In America bring the whole thing to a screeching halt. I wish Leone had just made a whole movie with De Niro and Woods(obviously the story would've needed a re-write).

The Irishman is different though, they could've cast a 25-30 year old actor who is actually talented in their own right, ala Jason Gordon-Levitt in Looper.

I don't remember where I saw it, but the best point I saw made was "if coppola made the godfather part 2 today would he have deaged Brando, or would DeNiro still have been in it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zer0spunk posted:

I don't remember where I saw it, but the best point I saw made was "if coppola made the godfather part 2 today would he have deaged Brando, or would DeNiro still have been in it?"

Valid, but I laugh at the idea of anyone getting Marlon "Can Jor-El be a bagel?" Brando agreeing to do MORE work.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

In the Netflix featurette Scorcese explained that by de-aging the actors he could ensure the continuity of each character's interpretation, and I found that persuasive. If you have two actors playing the same character they're inevitably going to have different approaches and thoughts as to the character's personal thoughts, ideology, and mannerisms. That could be interesting, but I found the continuity in The Irishman to be powerful. For instance, one of the themes of the movie is that Sheeran cannot change and adapt, but if you had different actors playing him he obviously would change.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 4, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The main issue I had with the de-aging was that there’s no way to make them not move like old men. They’re all just really old dudes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drunkboxer posted:

The main issue I had with the de-aging was that there’s no way to make them not move like old men. They’re all just really old dudes.
DeNiro also didn’t look young enough in a lot of the flashbacks IMO

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pospysyl posted:

In the Netflix featurette Scorcese explained that by de-aging the actors he could ensure the continuity of each character's interpretation, and I found that persuasive. If you have two actors playing the same character they're inevitably going to have different approaches and thoughts as to the character's personal thoughts, ideology, and mannerisms. That could be interesting, but I found the continuity in The Irishman to be powerful. For instance, one of the themes of the movie is that Sheeran cannot change and adapt, but if you had different actors playing him he obviously would change.
I feel like if you do this with relatively unknown actors, people pretty much just accept it. Moonlight should be all you need to see for that to ring true.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Khablam posted:

I feel like if you do this with relatively unknown actors, people pretty much just accept it. Moonlight should be all you need to see for that to ring true.

But in Moonlight I thought that part of the effect of switching actors was to emphasize an extremely dramatic transformation, especially between the second and third acts. The final act subverts that by revealing that the main character actually didn't change all that much, but you can't get that subversion without first suggesting a discontinuity by switching actors and acting approaches.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 4, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think when you use separate actors you’re very clearly separating periods of time- THIS is when the character was a young man, THIS is him at middle age, etc. Using the same actor with CG/makeup makes it all run together a bit more. I’m not sure if that’s a positive or negative but that’s the effect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

That's definitely a part of it. Especially with a guy like De Niro, who's physicality was always such a huge part of his presence. It's hard to not notice when I have these images of him in Raging Bull or Taxi Driver or even later stuff like Ronin tattooed on my brain because he's such an iconic actor.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post but my point still stands

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Khablam posted:

Or IT, Sleepers, Superman, Forrest Gump...I'm leaving out 100 movies because it's been done a million times.

They even did it Goodfellas, Godfather 2 and Bronx Tale.

I really love the film but think using younger actors over the cgi would have been fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FlamingLiberal posted:

DeNiro also didn’t look young enough in a lot of the flashbacks IMO

I'd say he always looks at least 50.
Pesci's older face also looks a bit like a faceapp photo.

The deaging worked in Captain marvel I think but I dunno, this just felt like too much for it. And I feel like it confused the narrative a bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Taear posted:

The deaging worked in Captain marvel I think but I dunno, this just felt like too much for it. And I feel like it confused the narrative a bit.
Except Clark Gregg, who looks terrible compared to SLJ

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Using the same actor with CG/makeup makes it all run together a bit more.
I found this to be the case as well. It didn't take me out of the movie, but it was sometimes pretty unclear how old characters were supposed to be relative to each other.

I've seen people mention that Hoffa was initially supposed to be in his late 30s and I guess Sheeran is supposed to be the same in the delivery truck sequences? And then Russ is in his early 50s or something? I didn't get that at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I thought Sheeran would have to be in his 30s when the flashbacks start since it is clearly after WW2, so late 20s/early 30s

I did laugh when Pesci called him ‘kid’ and he still looks no younger than 40 even with the CGI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I was thinking why is he calling a guy his age "kid"?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Overall it was less distracting than I thought, though. Normally any kind of CGI face stuff immediately takes me out of the movie, like in the Marvel movies and the Star Wars movies.

It's ironic that I'm apparently completely fine with it in a movie that is clearly not designed as a CGI spectacle.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the de-ageing because I didn't really care or think about how old they were supposed to be, just how old they were relative to narrator Frank. It worked in that regard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the de-ageing because I didn't really care or think about how old they were supposed to be, just how old they were relative to narrator Frank. It worked in that regard.

The problem is that most of the time it all looked like they were the same ages - over 60.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I watch a lot of japanese live action on the regular so the CGI didn't really distract me, but nthing the feeling that De Niro looked like he was in his mid forties at the beginning of the movie. I didn't quite feel much of an aging progression beyond "mid forties" and "too old for retirement's home" by the end of the movie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Payndz posted:

I can't be the only one who sees the thread title and immediately thinks of Rudy Giuliani yelling "WHO DO I TELL ABOUT THE CRIMES?"

I heard you paint white houses

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Taear posted:

The problem is that most of the time it all looked like they were the same ages - over 60.

I dunno. There was narrator Frank, trip with Russ and the wives Frank, and younger than that Frank. It worked fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't have a problem telling those apart he just didn't look as young as he was supposed to be and there wasn't much of a progression as he aged. The CGI wasn't distracting he just looked close to the same age as Pesci when they met.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I guess "how young he was supposed to be" just wasn't a thing I cared about. I definitely laughed the couple of times Pesci called him "kid" though.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I used the same suspension of disbelief that I use when Goodfellas tells me that Pesci and De Niro are supposed to be in their 20s for a chunk of it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Or any tv show starring "teenagers"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Holy gently caress this sucked poo poo. I'd call it slow but that would imply it went somewhere.

there was some stuff I liked about it--pacino did great as always but pesci and deniro were sleep walking. felt very long and over indulgent. lot of very padded scenes--did we really need two separate instances of pacino dancing with Anna Paquin at the dinner? the mumbling about the fish, the mumblitn about being late, "it's what it is," "well maybe someone should say" etc all were necessary scenes but just should have bee edited.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 6, 2019

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
It's a shame you feel that way, Gay Horney.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It wasn't that it took me out of the movie it's that I didn't even realize how young he/they were supposed to be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It might have helped if they had put the year up in some of the earlier scenes.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I think it was intentional that the only dates explicitly mentioned were the dates people died and when Peggy stopped speaking to Frank.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sagacity posted:

I think your analysis is pretty much spot-on.

What I found so unsettling is that these decisions (e.g. where 'it is what it is' for someone) and feuds are based on such petty reasons. Vague things like disrespect. Wearing shorts to a meeting. For all the talk of running the mafia or the Teamsters 'like a business' they're doing anything but that.

Petty feuding, arbitrary rules, and constant counterproductive changes in policy? Sounds exactly like how a business is run

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm not really sure how anyone could dislike this movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm not really sure how anyone could dislike this movie.
It's good but it could use a tighter edit. I feel like there has to be a better way to work the flashbacks in at the beginning as well. It also feels like some of the historical context got left on the cutting room floor (like how they portray the shooting of Joe Columbo but at no point say who that is supposed to be, which would be confusing if you aren't aware of mafia history).

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This movie did get me to finally request Hoffa from the library, I’ve slept way too long on seeing Danny DeVito direct Jack Nicholson with a script by David Mamet

It is about a tenth as good as something with that pedigree should be.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
I'm still getting through the thread but I hope someone else pointed out the weird stuff going on in the edit and with ADR. It wasn't enough to ruin what was a very good movie but there were cuts, mostly out of Pacino lines, that were very jarring and amateurish. Guessing they had to leave a lot of stuff out even at 210 minutes and did their best to cut around the missing material.

And I very much enjoyed Fat Tony's line: "Who does he think he is, Castro?" Really points out how dangerous Hoffa was and shows you what side the mob is really on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The editing is pretty bad in places, presumably because the first cut was over 4hrs and they had to get liberal with it.
There's also a few shots where DeNiro's face goes to a sharp angle vs the camera, and the de-aging falls off (especially in the opening truck scene; he looks down and his nose doubles in size) and more than a few Pacino moments where it looks like 'cut' has already been called before the cut stops - he stops emoting in the last frames.
I saw these on a first watch, and I wasn't looking for them - how does this kind of thing get through?

There's also some weirdness around the picture quality in the film. Given there's noise over their CGI faces, and it's consistent with the rest of it, I suspect they've used digital de-noising on the whole image, and then added noise back in artificially. There's just a consistent 'digital' feel to what is apparently a film mostly shot on 35mm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It might have helped if they had put the year up in some of the earlier scenes.

Agreed. They tried to do it subtly with the music, cars etc. I think they even showed some movies or bands on a marquee,and also some tv news if I remember right. Stuff like that helped me a lot but maybe a little bit more of it would have added some clarity. Have a TV playing with a famous show or sporting event in the background or some news over the radio about Nixon, Vietnam of the Challenger disaster that everyone knows sets the year.

And, yeah, I can't get how anyone can hate on this movie. At worst, I could see someone thinking "it was OK" since it has its flaws but I was sucked in the entire time. Also got a kick out of recognizing actors. Some of them took me a while. I didn't pick up that was Harvey Keitel right away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khablam posted:

There's also some weirdness around the picture quality in the film. Given there's noise over their CGI faces, and it's consistent with the rest of it, I suspect they've used digital de-noising on the whole image, and then added noise back in artificially. There's just a consistent 'digital' feel to what is apparently a film mostly shot on 35mm.

I had assumed while watching it was shot digitally since it had that look throughout.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
It was shot on 35mm except for scenes that required the deaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sagacity posted:

It was shot on 35mm except for scenes that required the deaging.

Isn't that almost half of it?