Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ariza posted:

That was the only time it really pulled me out. They had to have noticed how silly that looked. The faces were a lot better than I had feared. I'm wondering how it's going to look in a decade though.

I took it as a reference to the very fake Sonny Corleone beatdown in Godfather I.

Really great movie. The last 45 minutes (!) are just a series of gut punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There was a lot of that trademark Scorsese humor in there which was great but Matt Zoller Seitz in his review called the movie “95% comedy” which I thought was weird

Yeah I thought it was way less humorous than Goodfellas or Wolf of Wall Street--intentionally so.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
All three of the performances in this are arguably career peaks. Although Deniro’s baby blues freaked me the gently caress out.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, those were great. I think my favorite was the lone “Well-liked by everyone, died of natural causes” in between all the murders.

I did think it was weird that Anna Paquin only had two lines. I get why the character was written that way, I just thought it was kind of strange to cast someone like her for just that, even though her two lines were pretty great. Maybe she just wanted to be in a Scorsese movie?

I really liked how her casting (and the character's position in the story generally) leads us to expect some kind of final moment with DeNiro--which on some level would be cathartic. Instead we get a conversation with another daughter, and we realize that those quiet background characters have been equally hosed up by what he's done.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

LesterGroans posted:

Man, I keep thinking about Hoffa's death. Pacino is heartbreaking in that last moment.

It’s presented in such a sudden, awkward way. The film’s been building to it for hours and then it’s just done.