Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s pretty clear (and reinforced with the scenes near the end with one of his daughters and the priest) that Frank is a combination of a sociopath and someone so desensitized to violence that he just can’t feel anything. He shows very little emotion overall in the entire film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was extremely confused that they showed the shooting of Joe Colombo without mentioning his name that I rewound to see if i missed it, but no, they literally don’t actually say who they just showed was being shot. I just remembered who it was from my Mafia history reading.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

The main issue I had with the de-aging was that there’s no way to make them not move like old men. They’re all just really old dudes.
DeNiro also didn’t look young enough in a lot of the flashbacks IMO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Taear posted:

The deaging worked in Captain marvel I think but I dunno, this just felt like too much for it. And I feel like it confused the narrative a bit.
Except Clark Gregg, who looks terrible compared to SLJ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I thought Sheeran would have to be in his 30s when the flashbacks start since it is clearly after WW2, so late 20s/early 30s

I did laugh when Pesci called him ‘kid’ and he still looks no younger than 40 even with the CGI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm not really sure how anyone could dislike this movie.
It's good but it could use a tighter edit. I feel like there has to be a better way to work the flashbacks in at the beginning as well. It also feels like some of the historical context got left on the cutting room floor (like how they portray the shooting of Joe Columbo but at no point say who that is supposed to be, which would be confusing if you aren't aware of mafia history).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The digital blood in this movie (particularly the scene where Frank executes the Nazis in the WWII flashback, and the Joe Columbo shooting) looks real obvious

It's fine when it's some of the quick shooting, but when the camera is tighter on the shots or it's in slow motion, it's jarring to me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

romanowski posted:

I have never noticed digital blood in my life and I don't care to look up examples of it because it seems like a "once you notice it" thing and I would prefer to live in blissful ignorance
Yeah if you haven't noticed it, you should just keep not noticing it, but it was very obvious to me in this movie in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I did not expect Joe Pesci to be one of the chillest guys in this movie. Every time someone did or said something that I knew he didn't like I kept waiting for him to just smash a bottle in their face.
It’s the inverse of his character in Goodfellas